The food was HORRIBLE!!!!

princessh

We just got back from out first Carnival Cruise on the Breeze. We have sailed both Disney and Royal Caribbean prior. Let me start off by saying how much we loved the ship. They layout was great. We had an aft balcony and loved the layout of the room, albeit the aft balcony was a little smaller than the DCL and RCCL aft balconies. They staff was wonderful and very accommodating. Our only complaint was the food. IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!! We only had one night were we enjoyed the dinner. I am not picky about the quality of the food, but this was bad. Most nights I ordered the chicken ceaser salad, a plain chicken breast and fries. The ceaser salad was so bland there was no taste to it. Most nights the chicken was so rough and over cooked, I could hardly cut it. While our wait staff was wonderful, I found the selection to be bad. The food on the other areas of the ship were just as bad. The selection at the market place buffet was the worst I have ever seen. We even decided to have dinner at the Italian restaurant and pay the upcharge. The food was just as bad there. My biggest complaint is how my tree nut allergy was handled. Our dinning room server was wonderful. He gave me a menu the night before so I could pre order my meal and make sure it is prepared with out any nuts. My complaint is geared toward the buffet area. The foods were not properly labeled. When asked if an item had tree nuts, I was told they were unsure. Some would go ask the chef, where others simply said they did not know. On our last sea day, we went to enjoy the chocolate buffet. 1 item, only 1 out of many items did not contain nuts. I ended up getting fruit....no chocolate for me. My only positive food experience was Breakfast. At least I got 1 good meal a day. That and room service. Several nights after dinner I would order a sandwich from room service so I did not go to sleep hungry. My husband and I really enjoyed the cruise and would love to sail CCL again. Is this experience normal for a Carnival Cruise? We did hear lots of people complaining how bad the food was. For us, food is one of our favorite parts of cruising. I would love to hear your feedback if this is the norm for CCL

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

We just got back from out first Carnival Cruise on the Breeze. We have sailed both Disney and Royal Caribbean prior. Let me start off by saying how much we loved the ship. They layout was great. We had an aft balcony and loved the layout of the room, albeit the aft balcony was a little smaller than the DCL and RCCL aft balconies. They staff was wonderful and very accommodating. Our only complaint was the food. IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!! We only had one night were we enjoyed the dinner. I am not picky about the quality of the food, but this was bad. Most nights I ordered the chicken ceaser salad, a plain chicken breast and fries. The ceaser salad was so bland there was no taste to it. Most nights the chicken was so rough and over cooked, I could hardly cut it. While our wait staff was wonderful, I found the selection to be bad. The food on the other areas of the ship were just as bad. The selection at the market place buffet was the worst I have ever seen. We even decided to have dinner at the Italian restaurant and pay the upcharge. The food was just as bad there. My biggest complaint is how my tree nut allergy was handled. Our dinning room server was wonderful. He gave me a menu the night before so I could pre order my meal and make sure it is prepared with out any nuts. My complaint is geared toward the buffet area. The foods were not properly labeled. When asked if an item had tree nuts, I was told they were unsure. Some would go ask the chef, where others simply said they did not know. On our last sea day, we went to enjoy the chocolate buffet. 1 item, only 1 out of many items did not contain nuts. I ended up getting fruit....no chocolate for me. My only positive food experience was Breakfast. At least I got 1 good meal a day. That and room service. Several nights after dinner I would order a sandwich from room service so I did not go to sleep hungry. My husband and I really enjoyed the cruise and would love to sail CCL again. Is this experience normal for a Carnival Cruise? We did hear lots of people complaining how bad the food was. For us, food is one of our favorite parts of cruising. I would love to hear your feedback if this is the norm for CCL

We sailed on Breeze last year and Legend this year... we found the food to be very good. Actually better than Royal. Sorry you had such a bad experience :-(

Having a nut allergy can really cut down on the foods you can eat. Did you advise Carnival of your food allergies PRIOR to sailing? Once on board it probably would be difficult. I had a friend that contacted Carnival prior and the chef really tried to accommodate her son the best they could.

Edited by SUSIEK

We've never been on Breeze, but of our 12 Carnival cruises, we've alway had very good food. Of course, some is better than others.

I'm sorry you had problems finding food with your tree nut allergy. Was the hostess in the MDR accommodating in helping you choose next night's dinner. I think it would be very hard to find selections (other than salad) at the buffet. Did you try any of the sandwiches at the deli. That's where we get most of our lunches.

People will probably freak out over this post and to be fair; food is subjective. I'm hard pressed to not find something I like on any cruise I've been on and have generally enjoyed Carnival food. Did you go to any of the other dining places? Like the deli or pizza? Does the Breeze have 2.0....Guys Burgers or the Burrito bar? I thought the Italian restaurant was great for lunch on the Magic. So, in answer...I like the food (so do thousands) but you may find your experience the same on any Carnival ship...hard to tell.

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts.

While food is subjective, some here would agree with you and a recent report by I believe Topo Gigio said he/she spent the entire cruise at JiJi's Asian Kitchen and won't sail Carnival anymore because of the food.

On the other hand, most on the Carnival boards love it. Some, however, confuse it with five star dining? :eek:

Also, food varies ship to ship and week to week.

Edited by Disconnections

Is this experience normal for a Carnival Cruise? We did hear lots of people complaining how bad the food was. For us, food is one of our favorite parts of cruising. I would love to hear your feedback if this is the norm for CCL

Yes - the food is was it is.

Some love it, some like it (me), some think it's OK and others lose 20+ pounds on a Carnival cruise. It's a wonderful weight loss plan.

Seems like you fall in the later group if it wasn't for Room Service.

Given you found most everything horrible, I feel safe in saying you'd say the same on any other Carnival cruise.

We have been on 4 Carnival cruises, 5th one in 2 weeks, and we have found the food to be very inconsistent. Some cruises it has been great, others terrible. Food isn't a huge deal for us, we can usually find something satisfying even on our worst cruise (Sunshine). I think its just definitely an area that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I personally love dessert, but can't say I've ever had a really good dessert on Carnival, except the one time I got amazing carrot cake at the coffee shop.

i have been on the breeze twice, and we are not foodies.. but we enjoyed the food. We have a daughter that has a nut allergy and she didnt starve. We have also done the italian resturant and enjoyed it. We eat in the MDR when the daughter sails with us. We dont want to take the chance on lido with her. We actually like CCL food over RCI

We just got off the breeze two weeks ago and thought the food was amazing. Having sailed on the Oasis this past July, I think the Breeze's marketplace and main dining room out shined royal by far. The selections were great and the food we ordered off the main dining room menu (not the every day selections) was amazing. I was actually very disappointed by Royal's main dining room. I think the up charge food is better on Royal but I am shocked to hear about your experience on the Breeze.

I'm sorry you did not like the food but having any kind of food allergy does limit how your food is prepared. On my last cruise I had sodium free for my dinner choices the food really sucked. I really feel for those who have food allergies which limits the food choices. A girl at know at the gym I attend has bad food allergies and she must watch every thing that goes in her mouth.

Gary

I'm sorry you did not like the food but having any kind of food allergy does limit how your food is prepared. On my last cruise I had sodium free for my dinner choices the food really sucked. I really feel for those who have food allergies which limits the food choices. A girl at know at the gym I attend has bad food allergies and she must watch every thing that goes in her mouth.

Gary

I watch everything as it goes in my mouth as well, but I have to be quick.:confused: Food as others have stated is so subjective, but I always get a kick out of comments like: horrible or inedible.....

I am very sceptical when a review states that EVERYTHING was bad -- everything?? That just doesn't seem possible to me.

I have had a couple of bad entrees on cruises over the years, but overall the food has been good. Even when faced withthat bad selection, we have found something else we enjoy.

It makes me question people's expectations.....:cool:

I've found the MDR food to be more or less the same across ships in the Carnival line or between lines for that matter (more difference over time than between brands/boats). I suspect your experience would be similar on a future cruise unless you were just wildly unlucky this time or tried a different dining approach next time.

If you decide to give it a go again in the future I have heard many people rave about some of the special Indian meals that are available for vegetarians (not sure if they contain tree nuts), and there should be safe options at the deli, burger, pizza, burrito, Mongolian Wok, fish-n-chips, and sushi stations (not all of which are available on all ships).

Yes I did notify Carnival of my allergy prior to sailing. They were wonderfully accommodating in the main dining room. I did try the pizza and it was ok. As well as the deli grill. Personally though I did not spend all this money to eat a sandwich every day. I kept ordering the salad and the chicken, cause I had to eat something. While I know the allergy affected many of my choices, I was not the only one who was unhappy about the food in my group and on my cruise. Also I did not say everything was horrible... just most of it. While I understand everyone has different tastes, I did not care for the lack of options, and quality of the food. I can walk into any restaurant in the US ( including fast food) and find something I like, I was hard pressed to find good options on board.

Being a person who also has food allergies I can empathize with less than I full array of options at dining location (on and off a cruise ship). For me I have learned to acquire first and if I am still unsure I avoid like the plague. I know that it can be disappointing. I have not been on the Breeze so I cannot comment on the their food what so ever. I have eaten at an up sell location like you experience with the Italian place (mine experience was with the Chef's table). Like you said, the chef met with us the night before and asked about food allergies. They made sure to prepare dishes with out shell fish for me but still went along with the courses that everyone was experiencing. I am very sorry that your food experience was not great and glad to hear that the other parts of your cruise were good.

If you don't like the food on the Breeze, chances are 100% you'll not like any other Carnival ship.

I find Carnival's food a touch better than Royal... but taste is so subjective.

Your food allergy is very limiting and I bet some cruise lines are better than others at meeting the dining needs of allergy passengers. Sounds like Royal has got it right with you.

Well, if you ever want to go on a rapid weight loss program.... you know where to book!

Thank you for sharing.

I've only been on one cruise but I am a pretty big foodie. Well, some might say a big foodie because my loves range from chicken wings and macaroni salad from the Walmart deli all the way to the best seafood and steak houses in major cities :D

That being said on the Legend back in January we were extremely impressed with everything we had. Well, on the brunch day I had a steak and I must admit it was the absolute worse steak I had in my life. Not sure what happened there because again, everything else was on the extreme good side.

Um, I am not up to date on all the different dinning room changes on the ships, but if I remember correctly someone told me on our cruise that the Legend was using "old menus". I forget, but if that's the case maybe the new ones just suck, not sure. Either way whatever they had on the Legend in January was incredible.

Maybe when you are in port when you find something you like you can order 2 and just bring the leftovers to the MDR with you and instruct the waiter you do not want anything from their menu and to just heat up your leftovers??? :confused:

We been on Breeze twice this year. Food in MDR I thought was good. My kids enjoyed it. Formal night the lobster was a little small and undercooked but they made it right and fixed it. We don't do buffets ...just because. The other areas were great to eat at. The Italian restaurant was above average as well as the Steakhouse. If we did not like something we simply would not order it again. We always found something that we like-not one complaint.

Yes I did notify Carnival of my allergy prior to sailing. They were wonderfully accommodating in the main dining room. I did try the pizza and it was ok. As well as the deli grill. Personally though I did not spend all this money to eat a sandwich every day. I kept ordering the salad and the chicken, cause I had to eat something. While I know the allergy affected many of my choices, I was not the only one who was unhappy about the food in my group and on my cruise. Also I did not say everything was horrible... just most of it. While I understand everyone has different tastes, I did not care for the lack of options, and quality of the food. I can walk into any restaurant in the US ( including fast food) and find something I like, I was hard pressed to find good options on board.

Did you try the alternative eateries too? Bonsai, Guy's Burgers, (!), Sea Day BBQ, Red Frog Pub, Blue Iguana Cantina, Tandoor, Sea Dogs, Steakhouse?

Edited by Surfwench
forgot something

Where do you hear lots of people complaining about the food? If you would have said the entertainment I would have bought your thread. But for everything but breakfast to be "horrible"? I've always thought the food was very good. Too many options not to find something you like.

Edited by Podna's