Want place to stay in Galveston in April, but

tawcat

In looking at what is available, there doesn't seem alot is open back up. Many hotels require a 2 night stay, and those that don't are just overpriced. So we are looking at the Clear Lake City area.

Would like a nice place to eat and maybe some nightlife. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know that area also has Seabrook, League City, Baytown and a few others. Looking for a safe clean place to enjoy.

Thanks so much.

In looking at what is available, there doesn't seem alot is open back up. Many hotels require a 2 night stay, and those that don't are just overpriced. So we are looking at the Clear Lake City area.

Would like a nice place to eat and maybe some nightlife. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know that area also has Seabrook, League City, Baytown and a few others. Looking for a safe clean place to enjoy.

Thanks so much.

I'm in Clear Lake City and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the area. Let me first assure you, however, that there are LOTS of restaurants to choose from, a major mall in the area and several clubs in the area if you are looking for that. If you are searching the internet, try looking for locations in Webster, Seabrook, Kemah, League City and south east Houston (zip codes 77058, 77059, 77062).

I used Hotwire and ended up with the Hotel Galvez for less than 100 bucks. The Hotwire engine allows for 1 night stays.

For 14 bucks more you can leave your car there for the week and they will shuttle you to and from the pier.

There are websites that based on each property's amenities you can determine what hotel it is.

Clearlakecruisers: Thanks for that info. I believe there is a Comfort Suites there. If we came in on Friday, would there be some sights/activities we could enjoy on Saturday?

What are your recommendations? Thanks.

Birdmanbilly: I'll have to check out Hotwire. Is that the one you pay up front and get what they get for you?

I used Hotwire and ended up with the Hotel Galvez for less than 100 bucks. The Hotwire engine allows for 1 night stays.

For 14 bucks more you can leave your car there for the week and they will shuttle you to and from the pier.

There are websites that based on each property's amenities you can determine what hotel it is.

You got a deal! Plus, you are so close to the cruiseport which is so convenient! I love the Hotel Galvez.

I booked the Holiday Inn Seawall there of $86 per night. I only booked for one night, and this was the State Govt rate. Its right on the water and they shuttle you to the port in the morning for free. I think the regular rate was $120 or something like that. Its on Galveston Island...like 3 miles from the port.

Clearlakecruisers: Thanks for that info. I believe there is a Comfort Suites there. If we came in on Friday, would there be some sights/activities we could enjoy on Saturday?

What are your recommendations? Thanks.

Yes, there is an almost-new Comfort Suites on Texas Avenue in Webster and several other motels from major chains in that same area (La Quinta, Hampton, Days Inn, Best Western). It is an area surrounded by restaurants of every type and $$ and is only a couple of blocks east of I-45 off Bay Area Blvd.

Possibilities on Saturday would be Space Center Houston, Armand Bayou Nature Center, or Kemah Boardwalk. I'm not sure of your age/interests so that is a wide range of possibilities for you to check out on the internet. There is also, as I mentioned before, a major mall in the area if anyone is into shopping. If you let me know food and/or activity preferences, I'll try to come up with more specific recommendations.

Yes, there is an almost-new Comfort Suites on Texas Avenue in Webster and several other motels from major chains in that same area (La Quinta, Hampton, Days Inn, Best Western). It is an area surrounded by restaurants of every type and $$ and is only a couple of blocks east of I-45 off Bay Area Blvd.

Possibilities on Saturday would be Space Center Houston, Armand Bayou Nature Center, or Kemah Boardwalk. I'm not sure of your age/interests so that is a wide range of possibilities for you to check out on the internet. There is also, as I mentioned before, a major mall in the area if anyone is into shopping. If you let me know food and/or activity preferences, I'll try to come up with more specific recommendations.

I am 62, DW 54; as for food we pretty much like all; hey we cruise!!!! Can't be too fussy.

I am 62, DW 54; as for food we pretty much like all; hey we cruise!!!! Can't be too fussy.

I think you'd like Kemah. There are some small shops (not as many as pre-Ike but many re-opening and more should be open by April) and the Boardwalk area is full of shops and restaurants right on Galveston Bay. The Aquarium at the Boardwalk has good seafood and is quite unique with large seawater aquariums throughout. Try checking out www.kemahboardwalk.com.

If either of you is a fan of the space program, Space Center Houston (http://www.spacecenter.org/) is also in the area - in fact, development of the entire area was largely in response to the establishment of Johnson Space Center in the 1960's - and has great exhibits and tours of the Space Center.

If you are staying at the Comfort Suites or other motels in that area, there are many, many restaurants near-by. Within two blocks you will find Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba's www.carrabbas.com, Zio's Italian, La Madeline, BJ's Restaurant/Brewery, TGIFridays, Taco Milagro, Cafe Express, Lupe Tortilla's, Red Lobster and Olive Garden. For good Mexican go a bit farther and try Papa Tortillas on Bay Area or Mom Alone on NASA Parkway. Hey, can you tell you are talking to a "foodie"??? Let know what you like and I'll tell you my favorites.

clearlakecruisers: Thanks so much for all that info. Kemah sounds like a neat little area. We are foodies as well. The DW is a mexican food'holic; me a seafood freak, but one thing we aren't and that is fussy. We love trying new places to eat.

I am going to go to the web sites you provided and have a looksee!!!!

Thanks again, you've been most helpful. Will check back here later.

I had the galvez booked for months.

From what i am reading on Galaveston.com there are plenty of places to eat that are open and lots to see. i have 2 whole days there and i am sure i will be busy.

here are carriage rides also.

We always stay at the Holiday Inn on the Seawall. I call them direct to book and never have had a 2 night minimum. They shuttle us back and forth and keep the car.

After a bad experience with not getting our shuttle reservation written down (and having to fight my way to get on the shuttle at the time we'd reserved) I now know to ask specially for Debbie and make my shuttle time reservation with her.

clearlakecruisers: Need your positive or negative comments -- I booked us for 2 nts (4/17+18) at Seabrook Hampton Inn between NASA & Kemah -- it's still closed now but the Hampton website says opening about 3/1. Got Sr. rate of $107. Debated betw that Hampton & one you mentioned. From the map I liked the location of Seabrook.....

Anyone ever have any problems with Galveston Limo? That's who I'm going to contact for transportation on Sun 4/19 to Voyager.

Well we still haven't booked a hotel. Wanted to stay at the Boardwalk Inn, but they want like $259 per night, ridiculous to me. The Comfort Suites in Webster wants $119 (military rate.) Hotel Galvez and the Harbor House told me a minimum 2 night stay was required. So those two are out.

So I booked parking with Lighthouse Parking; we'll drive in from Little Rock and may decide to stop in Humble, TX for the night, and then drive in from there.

Keep trying hotels that have a 2-night minimum stay (call hotels directly or try different websites) - I know quite a few occasions where people got one-night reservations at various hotels in Galveston. We are staying one night at a hotel that has a 2-night minimum. I just happen to come across it one day online and booked it - the one night disappeared shortly after we booked. Kind of reminds me of airline pricing. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that info. I did call both the hotels, (Harbor House 3 times) and each time was told 2 night minimum. So thats it for me. I hate playing the catch me if you can game.

Personally I feel it pretty darn stupid on the hotels part. I could understand if this was during spring break or in the height of tourist season. And I would bet that on the evening of April 4th these hotels will have vacant rooms. So be it, Galveston hotels will not get my $$$$$. And that is sad, because that also means none of our $$$ will be spent in Galveston.

We sail out on th Voyager next Sunday. I pricelined a room and received the Hilton on Nasa Rd(Clearlake area, right across the street from the space center). My bid of $53 was accepted, $69 TOTAL including taxes and fees. I hope this helps someone. Coincidently, my hairdresser stayed here 2 weeks ago(NOT at Priceline rate) and said it is very nice. I am thrilled for the amount we are paying. I previously had reservations at Days Inn, Webster for $82 total.

Marie

Thanks for that info. I did call both the hotels, (Harbor House 3 times) and each time was told 2 night minimum. So thats it for me. I hate playing the catch me if you can game.

Personally I feel it pretty darn stupid on the hotels part. I could understand if this was during spring break or in the height of tourist season. And I would bet that on the evening of April 4th these hotels will have vacant rooms. So be it, Galveston hotels will not get my $$$$$. And that is sad, because that also means none of our $$$ will be spent in Galveston.

These 6 events are occuring that weekend

and that affect lodging.Galveston is active arts, festival and entertainment town.

Featherfest in the past is big and takes many rooms here.

During Mardi Gras yesterday, crowds were huge,

except for one parade of three on Seawall and Gulf when big rain storm hit around 3:00 the time of parade,

crowds were huge at 12:00 and 6:00.

Fireworks over Gulf were great also. Crowds at Strand Musical Stages were large also I understand.

7 MardiGras parades next weekend

(2 friday,3 saturday and 2 sunday)and Fat Tuesday parade on Tuesday

Barkus and Meow (Dog and Cat and Childrens Parade) on sunday

4/4/2009 3rd Annual Lone Star Triathlon Festival Moody Gardens

4/4/2009 Carnival Ecstasy 5-Day Cruise Departs from Galveston

4/4/2009 FeatherFest 9bird watching and receptions and seminars)

4/4/2009 Auto Fever Moody Mansion

4/5/2009 3rd Annual Lone Star Triathlon Festival Moody Gardens

4/5/2009 Carnival Conquest 7-Day Cruise Departs from Galveston

4/5/2009 FeatherFest

4/5/2009 Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 7-Day Cruise

We sail out on th Voyager next Sunday. I pricelined a room and received the Hilton on Nasa Rd(Clearlake area, right across the street from the space center). My bid of $53 was accepted, $69 TOTAL including taxes and fees. I hope this helps someone. Coincidently, my hairdresser stayed here 2 weeks ago(NOT at Priceline rate) and said it is very nice. I am thrilled for the amount we are paying. I previously had reservations at Days Inn, Webster for $82 total.

Marie

Come on Down!

Marie

Very nice hotel and Kemah is great area.

If you decide to come down to Galveston also for Mardi Gras parades, email us and we will help you around.

Best Western Beachfront at 61st and Seawall. It's almost half price from what we spent the same week last year. Great Mexican reastarant/bar next door shopping next door, etc.. It's a big motel...with pool and very good breakfast...free.

Not anything near Hotel Galvez. But if you can't find anything else...this will do.

clearlakecruisers: Need your positive or negative comments -- I booked us for 2 nts (4/17+18) at Seabrook Hampton Inn between NASA & Kemah -- it's still closed now but the Hampton website says opening about 3/1. Got Sr. rate of $107. Debated betw that Hampton & one you mentioned. From the map I liked the location of Seabrook.....

Sorry to be late in replying - have been out of town. The Hampton Inn in Seabrook is newer than the one in Clear Lake and is also in a good area. It is not quite as convenient for those traveling between Houston and Galveston, and, although there are restaurants in the area, the choice is not as wide as that near the Webster Hampton. Seabrook is closer to Kemah if you were interested in visiting that area.

Archived