Price drop or robbery

cruiseatick

Just upgraded to vh garentee yesterday and the price dropped 200 dollars today when I called holland they said I was assigned a vc witch was priced much higher than what I paid I asked if I could move back to gty and get my 200 dollars back and they said no no obc ,so in other words they put everybody in a vh guy and raise all the rates on all the other verandas so you are stuck with your price no matter what because there is only 4 vh cabins on the whole ship I don't care for holland Americas business practices .. As royal and others that I have cruised will oner the the lower price.

If I understand your post -- you had a vh guarantee and were upgraded to a VC. But your vh current price has been lowered and you want to go back to a vh -- I guess I don't understand, I always am happy to take an upgrade. Now if I wasn't upgraded and the price went down, I've always gotten the obc. So I guess you don't understand the guarantee rules.

The vc cabin that we were assigned was 5013 on west dam may 3 cruise to Alaska so yes we are past final payment the cvs cabin is in the front of ship about 5 cabins from the front I don't understand what makes this any better than any of the vh cabins that there are only 4 of the vc cabins are 500 pp more than the vh cabins that are in location just as good as the vc all I wanted was a cheap balcony cabin you can not tell me a cabin is worth 1000 more 2 doors apart in other words they raise the price on cvs cabins so people with vh gty cabins won't get price reduction ,obc nothing all I wanted was the 200 Ipaid yesterday back

IMO 5013 is a much better cabin than the deck 4 VH because it has the plexiglass railings (instead of steel) and it is not right above the show lounge. Most people who book a VH Gty do so with the hope of getting an upgrade such as you got.

I agree with momatibm that you don't understand how a guarantee works. When you choose one, you give HAL the choice of where they will place you, and it may not be a cabin that you consider better. If you did not accept that possibility you should not have taken a gty.

HAL did nothing wrong in dropping the VH price in order to try to fill the ship, and it certainly is not "robbery". If they had told you before you paid the $200 that you would be getting 5013 would you have declined?

Edited by jtl513

There is certainly no robbery here, indeed the term is totally inappropriate. Trying to get the most favorable price is always a bit of a crapshoot. When the price of our upcoming Alaska cruise went up by $3000.00, we were not asked to pay the higher price, and we certainly did not volunteer. Nobody gets the best possible price every time. Please, don't let it screw up your cruise.:D

Hal's policy when you sign on to a guarentee is, they promiss you a cabin in the catagory you signed up for or better and that is what you got. Enjoy your upgrade and you cruise and yes cabin right next door to each other can differ in price.

I have to agree with others that since you booked a guarantee and were given a higher priced cabin, HAL did not rob you nor did they not honor your request. I understand you wanted to get the lowest possible price on a balcony cabin by booking the guarantee.

Don't book guarantee cabins if you are not going to be happy with what is given to you. Fares always go down shortly before a cruise if cabins are not selling and most of us are aware of that. You can always wait to book a cruise shortly before sail date if you are in the position to do so. However, you can not be sure there will be cabins available or the price will be lower. Many people wait and book at the last minute watching for cruise prices that have gone down.

Diane

Sentence structure would make your post a lot easier to read.

What is the complaint? You received a nice upgrade on a guarantee booking. You are not entitled to last minute price drops.

igraf

Just upgraded to vh garentee yesterday and the price dropped 200 dollars today when I called holland they said I was assigned a vc witch was priced much higher than what I paid I asked if I could move back to gty and get my 200 dollars back and they said no no obc ,so in other words they put everybody in a vh guy and raise all the rates on all the other verandas so you are stuck with your price no matter what because there is only 4 vh cabins on the whole ship I don't care for holland Americas business practices .. As royal and others that I have cruised will oner the the lower price.

Let's see if I understand this. You had a booking for a catatgory below VH, you then paid $200 to upgrade to a VH guarantee, HAL then dropped the price by $200, so you want your $200 back even though HAL placed you in a VC in the hopes they will upgrade you again at "no cost" to you, correct?

One other question--Have you called your airline to have them refund the difference of your non-refundable tickets since they dropped the fare to fill up the plane?

TANSTAAFL-There ain't no such thingas a free lunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just upgraded to vh garentee yesterday and the price dropped 200 dollars today ... I asked if I could move back to gty and get my 200 dollars back ...
... yes we are past final payment ...
There's one thing which I think you need to understand: Because you're past the final payment date, even if HAL had not allocated you a cabin and you were still on a VH guarantee, you still would not be getting your $200 back.

So the fact that you've already been allocated a cabin is pretty much irrelevant.

I know I am preaching to the choir but now the prices have dropped 400 dollars and I am still not able to get a refund for some reason va cabins are 400 pp less than vc cabins my wife is a ta and we watch the prices daily and you can't tell me they don't keep those prices high so they can avoid giving refunds or obcs

I know I am preaching to the choir but now the prices have dropped 400 dollars and I am still not able to get a refund for some reason va cabins are 400 pp less than vc cabins my wife is a ta and we watch the prices daily and you can't tell me they don't keep those prices high so they can avoid giving refunds or obcs

Wait, your wife is a travel agent and you still don't understand how these policies work? That disturbs me that she's selling cruises and doesn't even understand the system.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I only upgrade when they can give me a specific and well positioned room in a category. Both times I upgraded, I called very early the morning after the upgrade email and got great room locations.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think you are confusing "upsell" with upgrade?:)

You mention that your wife is a TA.. Did she explain the guarantee rules to you? Yes many times the prices are kept high especially in a class of service that sells well.. Did your wife try to negotiate an OBC for you?

You are only a week or two from departure & I've never heard of anyone trying to get their money back on a guarantee especially if HAL up-graded you..

We bought a new 2013 car last August in the color we wanted.. A month later that new car went for less on a special Sale.. Should I expect that the dealer will give me a refund? Last week I purchased a handbag on-line & today that handbag is selling for less...Should I expect a refund for this also?

What?? Your wife is a TA and you both "keep watching prices" after Final Payment?? You mean to say that she doesn't understand how cruise lines work with their pricing structure in order to sell their cabins?

I booked two seats on the Canadian airline WestJet for a flight from Chicago to Vancouver for $243.00 each. A week later they were having a sale and were priced at $119.00 each because my daughter booked her flights after me. I'm not upset and I'm sure we'll enjoy our cruise in exactly two weeks.

I hope she does not sell cruises if she doesn't understand the system. Hopefully she can learn quickly and explain it to you so you will enjoy your cruise.

You might want to give WestJet a call. Been a while since that happened to me but WestJet is one of the few that will (or did) provide a credit.

What?? Your wife is a TA and you both "keep watching prices" after Final Payment?? You mean to say that she doesn't understand how cruise lines work with their pricing structure in order to sell their cabins?

I booked two seats on the Canadian airline WestJet for a flight from Chicago to Vancouver for $243.00 each. A week later they were having a sale and were priced at $119.00 each because my daughter booked her flights after me. I'm not upset and I'm sure we'll enjoy our cruise in exactly two weeks.

I hope she does not sell cruises if she doesn't understand the system. Hopefully she can learn quickly and explain it to you so you will enjoy your cruise.

You might want to give WestJet a call. Been a while since that happened to me but WestJet is one of the few that will (or did) provide a credit.

Thanks, but's not that important to us. Even if they did give us a credit, I doubt we'd ever use it as we live in Wisconsin. We fly to Seattle every year and spend a day or two there before going up to Vancouver for our Alaska cruise. Also, that lower price was 6-8 weeks ago.

This year, we have to go the day before the cruise and didn't want the hassle of going from Seattle to Vancouver the same day.

Edited by kjw869

Yes my wife is a a at and got everybody in our group upgraded as the price s have dropped she is an awesome travel agent of the ten cabins in our group 6 were inside cabins that have been booked for some time ,this week she was able to move all of them into balcony cabins at no charge, it still makes no sense that this week we paid 400 dollars to move into a balcony and two days later all the prices dropped and we can only hope suites drop below what we paid or equal so we can get a suite if all of you can tell me why VC cabins are 400 more than vb and va cabins she surely now how the system works and you would be lucky to have as she has always watched the prices and got her clients the going rate or upgraded to a cabin equal to what they have pait before final payment and after ,there should not be a penalty for booking early and she makes sure you get the best possible rate and if the price drops you are compensated,this is not our first rodeo!,, now maybe suites will drop and we will be able to upgrade and this will turn out ok the only reason I am upset is that the price dropped 400 dollars and holland America should have compensated us period

You do get price drops when you book early, as long as its before the final payment date. Has she not explained this to you? She should also be able to explain how cabin classifications work. Have you asked her to help you understand? Your extreme lack of punctuation makes your posts almost impossible to understand what you're trying to say.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

Very nice run-on sentence.

Is the word at the very end of that supposed to represent a period, as in punctuation?

If your period key is broken, could you let us know.

Thank you for your concern regarding what any good travel agent should have been able to explain.

Enjoy Alaska.