Cruise or Not to Cruise Islands

BandBinPA

We are just at the beginning of planning and research stages for our first trip to French Polynesia. For the experts out there do we do an Oceania Cruise and visits lots of the islands or do we take 2 weeks and do 2 islands. Our interests are snorkeling, hiking, 4x4 trips. We also like to rent villas from VRBO and rent a vehicle. Although we've done Oceania too and like the food and itineraries but we do not buy any of their shore excursions so no sure if we could do as much snorkeling as we would like from the ship. If we decide go to 2 islands, which 2 are the best and easiest to access from each other? We would be coming from Pennsylvania. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can be emailed at bitharp@verizon.net.

Why not do both!

One week on a cruise such as the PG or similar and then a week on an island preferably an atoll as the cruise would cover the Society islands.

IMO Oceania uses a ship that is to big, again, that IMO.

Another thought would be to do a 10 night cruise and then 4 nights on Moorea.

If your only going to pick 2 islands and forget the cruise I would tell you to hang on less touristy islands. Huahine, Tahaa/Raiatea or head to the atolls and take in islands like Fakarava, Rangiroa, Tikehau and Manihi

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I've only been to FP once. So I don't qualify as an expert. Tikintahiti is the local expert on this forum. I have received very good advice from him.

But, I can tell you about what I've experienced. For my recent New Zealand/Australia cruise, I arranged a stop over in Tahiti on my LAX to Auckland flight. I have lots of hotel frequent guest points from business travel, so I was able to stay five nights at the Moorea Hilton. See my trip information here: In Moorea Now, Nov 9 - 14

You also might want to see my photos here:

Here is my opinion on the cruise or not to cruise question. As long as I can afford the hotels in FP (using frequent guest points or cash), I'm going to stay at a resort instead of going on a cruise.

I love cruises. But I don't find them to be a great way to immerse yourself in a destination. You have to keep an eye on your watch to make sure you are back to the ship in time for departure. Once you are back on the ship, you are immersed in ship culture instead of local culture. (Unless you are on a FP ship like the Paul G.)

Some of my favorite things about staying at a FP resort were:

• Being able to snorkel right off the OWB balcony at my hotel anytime I want
  • Not having to rush anywhere. Doing things on my own schedule.

• Hearing the waves crashing on the distant reefs as I wake up.
  • Sleeping with all the windows open and letting the ocean breeze blow through the room
  • Being somewhere that is so non-commercialized compared to the resort areas in Hawaii, Mexico, etc.

For a travel guide book, I suggest you get a copy of "Moon Tahiti" by David Stanley. Mr. Stanley is one of the most experienced South Pacific travel writers.

Let me add something here. I've cruised FP 4 times and have stayed on resort properties over a dozen times so I can give you a straightforward answer.

If you think this will be a one and done trip of a lifetime to FP take a cruise preferably one that brings in the culture such as the Paul Gauguin.

If your thinking you might return someday I would do both, a week cruise and then 1 week in the atolls where everything is slow ...........

Just my take.

As far as the Hilton on Moorea it only works IMO if you have an OWB. I would agree with Fletcher that the garden rooms are spaced to close and there are very few that have lagoon views.

Why not do both!

One week on a cruise such as the PG or similar and then a week on an island preferably an atoll as the cruise would cover the Society islands.

Another thought would be to do a 10 night cruise and then 4 nights on Moorea. ...

I support Tiki's recommendation. On our first trip to FP, we spent a few days ashore in each of Mo`orea and Tahiti, combined with the 10-day Princess cruise through the Society Islands plus Rangiroa. To us, that seemed to be a good compromise, allowing us to visit several islands at least briefly while also experiencing two of them in more depth and at a more leisurely pace. (Actually, we also spent a very enjoyable 8 nights on Rarotonga before flying to Tahiti, further increasing the proportion of time "on shore" during the overall trip.)

John

We are cruising first time to FP with the sailing yacht Wind Spirit, I would think that sailing would be a great way to see the the islands, as it is so perfect for the Caribbean, this ship is small (149 people). we have sailed with Windstar 13 times and we adore the experiences. I think sailing for 7 days then a great resort. I have enjoyed and appreciated all the advice from this forum for FP. We leave in 14 days to cruise the Pacific arriving on the Wind Spirit May 2 then starting the cruise. Dream come true adventure. Susanne

We are leaning to do a cruise first then one island after the cruise. Would you suggest Moorea since it is close to Papeete? Do you fly for ferry there from Papeete? Any suggestions on where to stay on Moorea for close snorkeling? We would probably rent a car if needed.

If we decide 2 islands instead, suggested by Tiki, Huahine, Tahaa/Raiatea or head to the atolls and take in islands like Fakarava, Rangiroa, Tikehau and Manihi, what is the best way to get to any one of these islands? I'm assuming we would be flying in and out of Papeete from the east coast. Which are the best 2 for snorkeling and hiking? Do you have any recommendation on where to stay? We've enjoyed renting a house or villa from VRBO but being 1st timers to FP not sure whether that is our best choice or not.

We are leaning to do a cruise first then one island after the cruise. Would you suggest Moorea since it is close to Papeete? Do you fly for ferry there from Papeete? Any suggestions on where to stay on Moorea for close snorkeling? We would probably rent a car if needed.

If we decide 2 islands instead, suggested by Tiki, Huahine, Tahaa/Raiatea or head to the atolls and take in islands like Fakarava, Rangiroa, Tikehau and Manihi, what is the best way to get to any one of these islands? I'm assuming we would be flying in and out of Papeete from the east coast. Which are the best 2 for snorkeling and hiking? Do you have any recommendation on where to stay? We've enjoyed renting a house or villa from VRBO but being 1st timers to FP not sure whether that is our best choice or not.

What type of budget are you thinking for accommodations? By telling me I'll better be able to point you in the right direction. I need to go to the store, when I return I'll answer your questions.

Best months to travel will be April - June & September - October

Before I answer the accommodation question & the island I would recommend tell me which cruise are you thinking? By telling me I will know the islands you will see and the ones I would thus point you towards.

We were in French Polynesia in July and August - all three times we had calm seas and perfect weather. It's definitely cooler and drier than in the rainy season. For a few days, we had 'cold' southerly winds.

All the cruiseships that sail across the Pacific seem to be going to French Polynesia in the rainy season. Ships hat sail the islands only like the Paul Gauguin and the Aranui are a better choice imho because they are right there all year round.

We were thinking April, Oceania Cruise Lines. We've done one before to Turkey and Greece and was very pleased with them.

Hummmmmmmmmm

Are you thinking about the 17 night from Lima to FP?

That is the only Oceania cruise in April 2015 that is in FP

I still have not done FP but did research and found it one of most expensive areas in World. I also love Oceania and find it perfect solution. An interesting website with varied discussions is Tahitiexplorer.com

I still have not done FP but did research and found it one of most expensive areas in World. I also love Oceania and find it perfect solution. An interesting website with varied discussions is Tahitiexplorer.com

The problem IMO with Tahiti Explorer is 2 fold.

1. Many of the 'experts' on that forum are travel agents or have a vested interest in which advice they may give. I've personally meant many of them so I know this to be true. Most are very nice people but do have a vested interest in the advice they give.

2. The owner of the site owns his own travel agency and therefore has a vested interest in what is said or deleted.

Are there 'experts' that have been there many times and can give good advice? Certainly but is it slanted?

That is one reason I love CruiseCritic, for the cruiser and there are not 'experts' ........ just seasoned travelers sharing their experiences and advice.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Thank you for this--I've been to FP, but nice to see more resources as the more opinions/experiences--the merrier!

The problem IMO with Tahiti Explorer is 2 fold.

1. Many of the 'experts' on that forum are travel agents or have a vested interest in which advice they may give. I've personally meant many of them so I know this to be true. Most are very nice people but do have a vested interest in the advice they give.

2. The owner of the site owns his own travel agency and therefore has a vested interest in what is said or deleted.

Are there 'experts' that have been there many times and can give good advice? Certainly but is it slanted?

That is one reason I love CruiseCritic, for the cruiser and there are not 'experts' ........ just seasoned travelers sharing their experiences and advice.

To clarify a couple points.....

1. Many of the experts on T-E are travel agents? Really? Do tell. Which ones? Other than the owner of the site, Yves, there is not a single agent that posts on that forum.

2. The only things ever deleted on T-E are spam, and comments mentioning other travel agencies...and YOUR insensitive culturally racist comments.

I'm sure the fact Yves had you banned from T-E has absolutely nothing to do with your opinion of that forum.

Carry on here in CC Tiki. You seem to have an adoring captive audience that hangs on your every word.

You seem to have an adoring captive audience that hangs on your every word.

Not sure who you are or what your agenda is, but perhaps you should take some of your own advice and leave the rest of us out of this.

To clarify a couple points.....

1. Many of the experts on T-E are travel agents? Really? Do tell. Which ones? Other than the owner of the site, Yves, there is not a single agent that posts on that forum.

2. The only things ever deleted on T-E are spam, and comments mentioning other travel agencies...and YOUR insensitive culturally racist comments.

I'm sure the fact Yves had you banned from T-E has absolutely nothing to do with your opinion of that forum.

Carry on here in CC Tiki. You seem to have an adoring captive audience that hangs on your every word.

You obviously have a connection with TE.

I've tried several times to word my response but every time I find the words not to be in the gist of this site so I'll chose carefully what I say.

I did look at the current list of 'experts' on TE and you know I will take back the TA comment, sometimes I mix up a few people on other travel forums who I know are TA's and of course seeing Yves is the owner of the TA in question why would he want other TA's to make comments on his forum, which of course I find interesting, sort of like a dictatorship IMO. However, I will ask for clarification, are you stating there is not one 'expert' on TE who owns a travel related business in FP? I recognize a few names on there that I personally know have travel related business in FP, unless they sold them or closed them they still do, am I wrong?

You and I both know there is another well known travel site where half the 'experts' are TA's or have travel related businesses in FP, I'm I wrong? BTW, I don't have an issue with TA's or other travel professionals as experts but that the forum moderators seem to think that isn't relevant and people don't need to know that some 'experts' may have a vested interest in what they may state. I know I would like to know, bot that I couldn't get some good advise but I would still like to know so I could weigh that knowledge into my decisions.

I don't receive any money for what I share on this site. I'm a real estate broker by trade. I give multiple references on vendors, most of whom I personally taken their tours and yes, I paid for the tour. That is the way it should be, total disclosure, nothing hidden.

As far as the racist comment here is the rest of the story. On the TE forum I made reference to some French people who had body odor when I boarded a plane at LAX heading for Tahiti. The flight had just come from France with people heading over to Tahiti. I just happened to get stuck in the middle area with mostly French people all around me. I've made the same comment on this very forum not more than a few weeks ago. Yves was biased because he himself is French, need I say more. If the plane had originated in Belgium and they had body odor I would of said the same thing. Heck, I'm part French.

Enough said, lets get back to travel talk

Edited by Tikiintahiti

• 2 weeks later...

We were thinking April, Oceania Cruise Lines. We've done one before to Turkey and Greece and was very pleased with them.

Do look again at the Paul Gauguin. It is a wonderful experience, one that Oceania will not be able to duplicate (although O is a great cruise line.)

If you're on a budget, I think Moorea would be the best choice, since it has lower-priced pensions and guesthouses. We ourselves are staying at Les Tipaniers this fall, one of the smaller hotels, much cheaper than the major hotels. Manihi, not sure what there is now that the Pearl is closed (and it wasn't cheap!)

We are flying to Moorea when we arrive in Tahiti for scheduling reasons (Sunday), then taking the ferry back--the cruise dock is steps away. We are renting a car, using Albert's.

BTW, I've gotten lots of good advice from Tahiti Explorer in past years. It's not as active now as it once was, it seems. (My location expert used to be Vaitape, who has been there many times--she still posts once in a while, mostly here on the Oceania board.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Do look again at the Paul Gauguin. It is a wonderful experience, one that Oceania will not be able to duplicate (although O is a great cruise line.)

If you're on a budget, I think Moorea would be the best choice, since it has lower-priced pensions and guesthouses. We ourselves are staying at Les Tipaniers this fall, one of the smaller hotels, much cheaper than the major hotels. Manihi, not sure what there is now that the Pearl is closed (and it wasn't cheap!)

We are flying to Moorea when we arrive in Tahiti for scheduling reasons (Sunday), then taking the ferry back--the cruise dock is steps away. We are renting a car, using Albert's.

BTW, I've gotten lots of good advice from Tahiti Explorer in past years. It's not as active now as it once was, it seems. (My location expert used to be Vaitape, who has been there many times--she still posts once in a while, mostly here on the Oceania board.)

Les Tipaniers is one of my favorite places, a good choice if you don't want an OWB and all the high end stuff. Great location, café is reasonable, close to other places including the motus .......... have fun :)

BTW, Vaitape is very knowledgeable

Edited by Tikiintahiti

We stayed in Les Tipaniers, has a laid back vibe. Our bungalow was in the first row, perfect view of the lagoon.

Laid back is what we want, so that's good!

(I've never stayed in an OWB, and really haven't wanted to. Our beach bungalow at the now defunct Manihi Pearl was the best room ever.)

Laid back is what we want, so that's good!

(I've never stayed in an OWB, and really haven't wanted to. Our beach bungalow at the now defunct Manihi Pearl was the best room ever.)

I've been there several times, your in for a real treat, much more "Polynesian" with a bit of a French twist to it. I can hang at the beach café for hours enjoying a Hinano & the view of the Motus

LesTipaniersbeachcafe1of1_zpsca40494d.jpg