The food was disappointing

jenslater42

The only time I ever had an issue with Carnival's food was on our first cruise when we sailed on the Fascination. I bit into an olive that I got from one of the stations in the Lido and it still had a pit in it. That may or may not have been Carnival's fault. Biting into the pit led (as I found out later, since I didn't notice at first) to a crack in an already damaged tooth which I had to get fixed before our second cruise that August.

The only time I ever had an issue with Carnival's food was on our first cruise when we sailed on the Fascination. I bit into an olive that I got from one of the stations in the Lido and it still had a pit in it. That may or may not have been Carnival's fault. Biting into the pit led (as I found out later, since I didn't notice at first) to a crack in an already damaged tooth which I had to get fixed before our second cruise that August.

Sorry to hear about that. It's happened to me before but nothing to do with a cruise ship.

I think the conversation is beyond a single olive pit.

Sorry to hear about that. It's happened to me before but nothing to do with a cruise ship.

I think the conversation is beyond a single olive pit.

True 'nuff.

I don't think the food on Carnival is the absolute best but it ain't the worst either. It's somewhere between Chili's and Three Forks (which is a popular and expensive restaurant here). It's alright. I've NEVER been able to not find something I liked or at least was interested in trying every night at the MDR. And while I don't love the pizza at Pizza Pirate's, it's good for late night nomming when I can't sleep and need something to nibble on while I read or whatever.

Bread to soft/to hard... butter to soft/to hard...

I wouldn't know much about the bread OR the butter as my son tends to eat it all before I even get a single taste. LOL

I like the desserts best out of all the Lido food. Several times I've had an almond Napoleon (I think that's what it was called) that was really stinking good.

Edited by IPlayWithString

Isn't this the whole point? You can't have it both ways.

No? Must be a modern day, competitive thing that passed right over me.

Then Carnival should continue to sell $359 7 night cruises during hurricane season and let me bring (and reheat) my own cans of Campbells beef stew for meals.

All I have heard about cruises is how good the food is. I thought it was one step above cafeteria food. Very disappointing. I didn't go hungry, but I certainly was not impressed. Except for Guys Burgers :-)

I find that is pretty much banquet quality at best on most lines. Everyone I know who raved about cruise food either sailed on Seabourne or they were from areas not know for good food. My cousins from Ohio thought it was awesome food but then again they come from what they call land of three seasonings. Salt, Pepper, and Sugar.

Sorry it didn't live up to the hype. I felt the same way about the Steakhouse onboard.

Lots of thing on cruises are over-hyped IMHO but thankfully none of this things have been deal breakers for me yet.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I agree that food is such a subjective thing. I have never had an issue with the food on Carnival, but the food on RCCL (among other things.. but mainly food/service) meant they will never get money from my family again.

What struck me most about Carnival's food was it tasted like something that came out of a crock pot for most of the entree's. Generally my family's feeling was anything served in the MDR was really "homey" to them. Which is okay with me! It was all edible and I didn't have to cook it all!

I think part of the issue is there are people who still equate cruising as a 5 star vacation no matter what and that just isn't true. It is also just a different outlook at life. I generally cook at least 27 out of 30 days a month. To me, a free hotdog is good food because I didn't have to cook it myself, or more importantly I didn't have to do the dishes afterwards!

We love food in our family and my DS (13) is one of the most adventurous eaters I know. Heck I am rather disappointed that wd-50 in NYC is closing soon and I can't take him there before our NCL cruise. He has never had a complaint (other than not being to big of a frog leg fan he found out at 8).

All I have heard about cruises is how good the food is. I thought it was one step above cafeteria food. Very disappointing. I didn't go hungry, but I certainly was not impressed. Except for Guys Burgers :-)

Just got off Freedom this AM, the new American Table was enjoyable for all four of us, not as many items to choose from,some deletions, but good subjective view from 4.

I worked in hotels all my life. I've eaten many a meal from the "prime rib and crab legs buffet". I don't think the food can disappoint me. Once you're a mom, you never get a hot meal anyway. I'm pretty certain I can find something to eat. Maybe they'll surprise me and it will be fabulous.

I buy ridiculously inexpensive carnival cruise tickets so once I get on board I spend the money I saved eating in the specialty restaurants! I love the Steakhouse! Since we don't drink much we spend our money on food. But the free thin crust cheese pizza is something I crave all year long:))

It all has to do with expectations. A few years back you would have heard me say how great the food was (can't say regarding Carnival, because at that time I was only sailing Celebrity and RCCL), but in recent years, the food has declined across all lines, IMHO. With that said, considering the number of pax they have to serve, they do a pretty good job and it makes cruising a very good vacation value.

I'm in accord with this post.

Post like this makes me wonder what they eat at home.

I have sailed on three lines over the past year. I thought the food was fine, but maybe I am just not picky, or maybe I just don't care that much. I will say I have never fell in love with any of the deserts on any of them, but I have never bought any even though I have been tempted a couple of times.

Don't think they were patronizing you I took it as they didn't like the Guys burger therefore their tastes are different than yours.

Exactly...Personally I find the Guy's burger a bit too greasy and the fries way too salty.

The filet mignon, although not as substantial as what you would get at the steak house has always been prepared to my liking.

The lobster while not being to everyone's liking seems to be quite popular. Some people feeling that it is an all you can eat venue.

I have always found the main dining room, while not being a 5* restaurant ( this is Carnival after all ) does serve quite appetizing and well presented meals. I realize a lot of cafeterias are trying to up their fare but I think they still have a ways to go for me to agree with the comparison. I think that is why it was asked if there was a specific issue. Most of us have had something that wasn't quite to our taste, but if it something as easy as that, you just have to ask for something else, no problem. You can't do that at the cafeterias that I have been to.

Glad you had a good cruise

Carnival has disappointed me in many ways over the last five years, but food is not one of them:) I have always found more than enough good food all over the ship, buffet, deli, sea day brunch, mdr and more. I have never been to the steakhouse, nor do I feel the need to spend extra for it. Carnival's food works for me.

I took 4 B2B on 3 different ships 2 weeks American and 2 weeks old menu the Prime Rib was Tasteless even with horse radish food was Denny's quality

The brunch is ok for breakfast terrible for lunch after 44 cruises and 308 days no more CCL

and dont let me start on the entertainment

Post like this makes me wonder what they eat at home.

I have sailed on three lines over the past year. I thought the food was fine, but maybe I am just not picky, or maybe I just don't care that much. I will say I have never fell in love with any of the deserts on any of them, but I have never bought any even though I have been tempted a couple of times.

"They" eat food that is not of microwave/cafeteria quality.

Ummm. Ok. I can't have decent food because I don't want to pay more ?

Yes, I wondered about that too, but I think it may be a suggestion that we all want inexpensive cruises and then find ourselves less than thrilled with the offerings. Fair enough. Or I could be completely wrong. I never go hungry on a cruise and I have had some excellent meals in specialty restaurants (Celebrity) but most often it is banquet quality in my opinion. Some times decent banquet, sometimes not so much. Also, it's my opinion that the quality of food on mass market lines has declined over the last 5 - 10 years. I don't doubt your experience. It's expectations vs reality. No criticism here.

"They" eat food that is not of microwave/cafeteria quality.

I WORK in a school cafeteria and the food they serve on Carnival is WAY better than anything WE serve. :D

Of course though, we serve frozen fruit flavored sugar water pouches and call them a serving of fruit though too.:D

Cruise food in the main dining room is banquet style dining, not fine dining. For all the thousand of people being served at once, at sea, they do a good job.

I think they do better than just good.

I eat microwave food every day for lunch.

Nothing I have ever gotten on any cruise can compare.

Maybe those that think it is comparable hasn't really eaten microwave food and are only guessing what it is like.

I have lived on microwave food for 35 years working in EMS. Can't even count how many microwave burritos from a gas station at 3 am I have endured. But still the food is still banquet type food. For the people that rave about the food they must be horrible cooks. I know one family member that raves about the food on the ships, but then she uses a smoke sector as an oven timer when she cooks.