The food was disappointing

jenslater42

I just returned from my first cruise yesterday and I can say that I thought the food was not that great. I stopped eating in the MDR after the second night because while the food sounded good, the taste was blah. It was okay, but as others have said banquet food. My prime rib had some kind of sauce pored over it that ruined it and and I didn't even finish it. The buffet was fine although I thought the food was barely warm enough and any kind of meat was tough. Pizza, Guys, and the Blue Iguana food was fine.

I'll cruise Carnival again because everything else was great and I did not go hungry. I will just not have any expectations on the food quality.

I am a pretty good cook and a foodie that has eaten in many countries and I find Carnival's offering good enough for the price I pay. If I was in a restaurant and paying for some of the MDR food I would feel a bit ripped off. The buffet is fit for its purpose and I do pick at most things just to see what they are like.

Apart from the odd dish I have always been satisfied and at times really enjoyed some items and will happily accept that the choice of food makes up for the ok quality.

I still don't quite understand why people head back to the ship in port for lunch though and why people expect fine food on a large scale cruising brand without paying extra.

I just got off the Victory and, sadly, I have to agree. Part of the problem is that I am just tired of the same items. But part of it was the lukewarm food; the crab cakes would have been good if they had not been barely heated to room temperature, for instance. We didn't think the buffet had as many choices as in the past, and what there was seemed like leftovers from the previous night's dinner. The corn chowder had very little corn but was full of shredded potatoes. The next day, the double cheese soup would have been very good but it also had more of those shredded potatoes. All small things, but added together, disappointing.

We are hoping the Glory in September will be better. I expect to enjoy it more because of the menu change to the American Table, Guy's Burgers, the Blue Iguana Cantina, and the seafood part of the buffet. And we are planning on two nights at the steakhouse.

The Victory was the only cruise I ever went on where I was looking forward to the ports to get decent food. The service matched the quality. The MD was more interested in his singing performances than anything. Forget his name but it wasn't Ken. He actually looked like John Banner.

We did the buffet only one night because I wanted the MDR to impress me at least once. Didn't happen. And I am far from a food snob. My daughter, who is not that picky, agrees with me. But I have to admit her boyfriend seemed to enjoy his meals. To each his own I guess. Just posting my personal opinion.
Which you are certainly allowed to do and thank you for doing that. :)

Food is soooo subjective.

When serving 2,000 it becomes banquet quality food. Need to do the steakhouse, Chefs Table or other specialty restaurant for individual attention. This is true no matter the mass market line.

And this is where the problem is... I started cruising in 1993 with Carnival.. and my cruises have always been over 2000 people... so it should not become banquet quality food.. wasn't then... no reason for it to be now... yes things have changed...but they still are very profitable... largest cruise company in the world... I miss looking forward to dinner time.. it was an event... not just dinner. The food was delicious... not just "I didn't go hungry" as some people state.

As far as "true no matter what mass market line"... this is one of the things that set Carnival apart. They need to get back to this.. I am not hitting the specialty restaurants for all my meals... good meals should be included.

My friends took a cruise in Feb., it was their second cruise, and they were not excited over the food... in their words ... it was okay.. we had plenty to eat... their opinion of the dessert table was sadly, the way I have seen it the last couple of times i went... blah, looked good , but dry... man, i used to love their desserts... And the buffet has definetly changed.. it used to be so good that you couldn't make up your mind...

I love cruising with Carnival and will continue to do so... but these changes are taking it down a few notches... they want to stay the most popular cruise line in the world... they need to get back to the quality they had before.. food is food, sustenance... but it is also something people look forward to .... part of the experience of a perfect vacation...

I do find the food pretty good most of the time..

Edited by cruzn buckeye

I find that is pretty much banquet quality at best on most lines. Everyone I know who raved about cruise food either sailed on Seabourne or they were from areas not know for good food. My cousins from Ohio thought it was awesome food but then again they come from what they call land of three seasonings. Salt, Pepper, and Sugar.

Sorry it didn't live up to the hype. I felt the same way about the Steakhouse onboard.

Lots of thing on cruises are over-hyped IMHO but thankfully none of this things have been deal breakers for me yet.

umm i'm from Ohio... didn't know we were called land of 3 seasonings... we have seasons.. spring summer fall winter...:D: But i have to say that everyone used to absolutely rave about the food on Carnival.. i am not talking of just us Buckeyes... On a cruise, you meet people from all over the states... and all over the world... even met some people from Ireland and Sweden that we shared tables with.. and they too, raved about the food..:D

When we took our very first cruise 10 years ago on the Carnival Conquest, we found our food to be incredible! we tried things we wouldn't have on land, and we thought the MDR was great. I don't know how it's changed--hopefully not because we are cruising on Magic in Aug. and very excited about it. I am a fairly good cook at home but again I don't have to cook the food or clean up afterwards! also it was very tasty in my opinion. the buffet (breakfast) I do admit got kind of old after a while with everything tasting kinda the same (ie bacon, sausage etc.) but if you waited for the egg omelet station it was very good. we always found plenty to eat. and we really didn't think it was cafeteria food. now I do admit that we rarely go to 4-5 star restaurants either. back on or on land vacations it's usually places like GC, Applebys, chilis, Texas Road House, etc.) so maybe we're really not well versed on what "good high quality food really is??) but we did find it very good. again as others have said taste is really very subjective and very individualized. I guess because we're such "plain janes" we thought we were in "heaven" LOL.

And this is where the problem is... I started cruising in 1993 with Carnival.. and my cruises have always been over 2000 people... so it should not become banquet quality food.. wasn't then... no reason for it to be now... yes things have changed...but they still are very profitable... largest cruise company in the world... I miss looking forward to dinner time.. it was an event... not just dinner. The food was delicious... not just "I didn't go hungry" as some people state.

As far as "true no matter what mass market line"... this is one of the things that set Carnival apart. They need to get back to this.. I am not hitting the specialty restaurants for all my meals... good meals should be included.

My friends took a cruise in Feb., it was their second cruise, and they were not excited over the food... in their words ... it was okay.. we had plenty to eat... their opinion of the dessert table was sadly, the way I have seen it the last couple of times i went... blah, looked good , but dry... man, i used to love their desserts... And the buffet has definetly changed.. it used to be so good that you couldn't make up your mind...

I love cruising with Carnival and will continue to do so... but these changes are taking it down a few notches... they want to stay the most popular cruise line in the world... they need to get back to the quality they had before.. food is food, sustenance... but it is also something people look forward to .... part of the experience of a perfect vacation...

I do find the food pretty good most of the time..

Just continuing our conversation......:)

Read the other boards. There are the same complaints all over. 2008 was a huge demarcation line in how things were done v new reality and cost cutting measures. Cunard had a huge brouhaha over clotted cream.

Lately we've been sailing on Princess because they're offering different itins out of Los Angeles. We've been on 6 cruises, four different itins on four different ships in 18 months. Their MDR food is like a throwback to the 60's. Heavily sauced and lots of salt. (Like a salt lick was thrown in. Many people equate under seasoned/no taste with lack of salt.) We primarily eat in the buffet on Princess because of these two things.

Our perfect cruise line would have Carnival's MDR and Princess' buffet.

We have always found the MDR to be hit and miss. The Steakhouse and La Cucina are excellent. We are booked on the Vista in February 2015 and I am looking forward to the Seafood Shack.

So far we have only sailed on Carnival (10 cruises sailed) so we can't compare. We do have a Hawaiian cruise with NCL booked for January 2016 and I have not heard great things about their food. I'm looking forward to being able to compare fairly.

We have always found the MDR to be hit and miss. The Steakhouse and La Cucina are excellent. We are booked on the Vista in February 2015 and I am looking forward to the Seafood Shack.

So far we have only sailed on Carnival (10 cruises sailed) so we can't compare. We do have a Hawaiian cruise with NCL booked for January 2016 and I have not heard great things about their food. I'm looking forward to being able to compare fairly.

It's too bad Carnival sacrificed their reputation for good food by taking it out of the dining room and putting into the pay venue restaurants.

OP, I'm sorry you didn't like the food very much!

I love the MDR food, Guy's Burgers, Mongolian Wok, Pizza Pirate, etc. but did find the Lido Buffet food to be a little above the quality of cafeteria food.

We only ate on the Lido the first day during embarkation, and one morning for breakfast before heading to port, because we didn't want to wait on room service. Thankfully there are SO many food options on the ship than just the Lido!

Okay let's put this into perspective. My wife and I know good food and have eaten at some of the better known restaurants in the United States. Carnival has some fantastic food and some of it is just plain gross. The big vat of scrambled eggs should be tossed overboard.

Having said that I can always find something that is pretty darned good and sometimes it is over the top good. I may look like a pig and I may drive my server nuts but I keep trying until I find something I really enjoy.

I don't go on Carnival expecting Brennan's for breakfast or The French Laundry for supper. Go to the French Laundry and dinner for two could pay for a five night cruise on Carnival.

Do the math, eat breakfast at Denny's, lunch at McDonald's, supper at a place like The Outback and figure out the cost. Now figure out what you pay per day to cruise. Quite frankly I think CCL food is better than those places.

My wife and I had dinner at The Council Oak Steakhouse at The Hard Rock in Tampa. It cost $250.00 not counting alcohol. The same could be said for Bern's here in Tampa It was good but quite frankly we had a better meal and a better time at the Steakhouse on the Valor.

Every time we eat in the MDR I comment to my wife that I don't know how CCL can offer the product they do, at the price they charge.

I thought the food was exceptional on my cruises in 2004 and 2005. I returned to cruising in 2014 and went on 3 cruises. The food was mediocre every time but the service was still top notch.

It's too bad Carnival sacrificed their reputation for good food by taking it out of the dining room and putting into the pay venue restaurants.

While I've never been on a RCCL cruise, from what I have read on their boards here that is what happiness with RCCL. You want a better quality meal, pay extra. I'd rather the price of the cruise increase a little than be nickel and dimed.

Exactly why we have dumped NCL. After the Epic's food and disinterested crew my hubby actually said "O.K. let's go back to Carnival I'll put up with the giant twerking butts on the mega screen if I can get some good food". Pay venues are great but you shouldn't have to be forced to attend them every night for a decent meal.

Just went on my first Carnival cruise and have to say while we never ate at the Lido buffet other than breakfast some mornings, we found all free food options very good. After reading some of the reviews, we were happily surprised at how good Guys, Blue Iquana, Deli, Pizza and the MDR were. Did we unequivocally love every single app, entree, side, dessert, no, of course not. There's no way anyone would, per individual likes and taste is subjective.

However, what items we didn't like/love were few and far between and it's not like it was 'inedible' as I have seen described, it just wasn't to our taste. I know a lot can depend on the cook, but have to say on the Liberty, it wasn't overly salty, had good flavor, food was at the right temp and for anytime dining, it never took more than 1.5 hours and there were 8 of us at the table. My niece & nephews also ordered min of 2 apps and usually 3, depending on the nightly specials, can't afford to do that in a regular pay restaurant!

There were two things I really didn't care for; the gravy, au jus, etc. Was basically the same red wine beef reduction for everything, so that I took a pass on.

The second was the melting cake ... LOL I was in the minority at our table, but I'm just not that much of a chocoholic. Was waaaay to rich for me and I ate about a quarter of it and wouldn't have been able to eat that much without ice cream.

Edited by aztekpm

Exactly! I Am going on the Fascination in October, I got an OV for less than 300 for 5 days. For the amount of money I am paying, I don't expect the food to be much above edible. If I don't starve I am good. On a normal vaca my room would cost well above that on its own.

We have sailed a lot. Platinum on Princess. On Carnival. A few on HAL and on NCL and Celebrity.

I was pleasantly surprised at the food on the Fascination. The salad bar was very good. Ranch dressing good. Lots of salad ingredients. The grill.............especially Ham and Cheese sandwiches................lunch everyday.

Pizza very good.

Breakfast............omelettes. Grits. bacon. lunch. MDR. good.

Dinner........appetizers good. Entrees........OK.............Desserts good.

We went out to Dinner last night. Carabbas. Waited an hour. Husband ordered Chicken Marsala. Came with no sauce. No lid for cup for grandchild. Waiter told us a cook had up and walked out. My spaghetti was cold. My salad barely covered a saucer.

Total Bill and tip $55

All I have heard about cruises is how good the food is. I thought it was one step above cafeteria food. Very disappointing. I didn't go hungry, but I certainly was not impressed. Except for Guys Burgers :-)

It is a step above cafeteria food.. you're right. How else can they serve so many people so cheaply?