San Francisco precruise hotel and transporation

Silent Penguin

We've booked a Hawaii cruise out of San Francisco for April 2017. Will be flying in a couple of days ahead of the cruise. As Holiday Inn fans, we've narrowed our hotel search down to the Holiday Inn at 1300 Columbus Avenue or the Holiday Inn Express at 550 North Point Street , both seem to be very close to the Fisherman's Wharf area. Hoping to do some tourist stuff for a day or so before the cruise, looks like we can walk or take public transportation to a lot of activities in that area, the wharf, restaurants, etc. Then it looks like a cab or shuttle to the pier (Princess) on cruise day.

For those of you who live in the area or have knowledge about this area, between those two hotels, any recommendations for either of them? Or any other recommendations or ideas? :)

We've booked a Hawaii cruise out of San Francisco for April 2017. Will be flying in a couple of days ahead of the cruise. As Holiday Inn fans, we've narrowed our hotel search down to the Holiday Inn at 1300 Columbus Avenue or the Holiday Inn Express at 550 North Point Street , both seem to be very close to the Fisherman's Wharf area. Hoping to do some tourist stuff for a day or so before the cruise, looks like we can walk or take public transportation to a lot of activities in that area, the wharf, restaurants, etc. Then it looks like a cab or shuttle to the pier (Princess) on cruise day.

For those of you who live in the area or have knowledge about this area, between those two hotels, any recommendations for either of them? Or any other recommendations or ideas? :)

The locations are, basically, equal...they're about a block from each other...both in the wharf area...The first one is a HI Express, the second a HI....Really, either would be fine...

We've booked a Hawaii cruise out of San Francisco for April 2017. Will be flying in a couple of days ahead of the cruise. As Holiday Inn fans, we've narrowed our hotel search down to the Holiday Inn at 1300 Columbus Avenue or the Holiday Inn Express at 550 North Point Street, both seem to be very close to the Fisherman's Wharf area. Hoping to do some tourist stuff for a day or so before the cruise, looks like we can walk or take public transportation to a lot of activities in that area, the wharf, restaurants, etc. Then it looks like a cab or shuttle to the pier (Princess) on cruise day.

Both being near Fisherman's Wharf is not a positive. It is the least San Francisco thing in San Francisco.

If the Holiday Inn at 1500 Van Ness Avenue is available, that is where I would stay. It is a much nicer neighborhood, is next to a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to buy wine, snacks etc for the cruise, is right next to the California Street Cable Car, close to Swan Oyster Depot, the House of Prime Rib and many more significant SF sights (like Grace Cathedral, Fairmont Hotel, etc) than FW.

https://goo.gl/maps/Fn9CDi4Zc9T2

https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/files/routemaps/C%20California.pdf

Both being near Fisherman's Wharf is not a positive. It is the least San Francisco thing in San Francisco.

If the Holiday Inn at 1500 Van Ness Avenue is available, that is where I would stay.

I guess reasonable minds can differ...

I really wouldn't suggest most tourists stay at 1500 Van Ness...It's on the very busy 101 in an area not necessarily convenient for most tourists...

OTOH, I think the Fisherman's Wharf area is perfect for tourists--especially cruise tourists...

And "the least San Francisco thing in San Francisco"??? Heck if I know what that means...To many, Fisherman's Wharf is VERY San Francisco...You can catch the Cable Cars at their terminus there...You catch the tours to Alcatraz there...You can get the Harbor Boat tours there...You can walk along the waterfront there...You can get views of the Bay and the Golden Gate from there...YES, it IS touristy...You are hanging with a lot of tourists--not "everyday San Franciscans" living their everyday lives...But, hey, you don't want to do that anyway...It's not like visiting France or Italy and immersing yourself in the local culture...

You probably want to be able to get around conveniently on foot or using public transportation...To have restaurant choices and tourist shops close to your hotel...and to be able to easily visit the tourist sites...and then to have a very short taxi ride to the pier...If so, Fisherman's Wharf IS a MAJOR positive...

I've stayed all over the City...and for various reasons...When my daughter used to live in SOMA or when I've been there to attend events at AT&T Park, I've stayed in SOMA at the Marriott Courtyard...When my Brother used to live on Nob Hill, I've chosen hotels there or in the Financial district (I've always liked the Hilton on Kearney--which, long ago, used to be a Holiday Inn--maybe the nicest one they had)...Now that my daughter lives in the Marina, last time I came to visit her, we stayed at the Cow Hollow Inn in the Marina...I've stayed many times across the Bay (My old employer was based in Oakland)...or down the Peninsula for business reasons or to be near the Airport...BUT, if I were going for a pre-cruise stay or just to "play tourist", I would definitely stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area...

I really wouldn't suggest most tourists stay at 1500 Van Ness...It's on the very busy 101 in an area not necessarily convenient for most tourists...

OTOH, I think the Fisherman's Wharf area is perfect for tourists--especially cruise tourists...

And "the least San Francisco thing in San Francisco"??? Heck if I know what that means...To many, Fisherman's Wharf is VERY San Francisco...You can catch the Cable Cars at their terminus there...You catch the tours to Alcatraz there...You can get the Harbor Boat tours there...You can walk along the waterfront there...You can get views of the Bay and the Golden Gate from there...YES, it IS touristy...You are hanging with a lot of tourists--not "everyday San Franciscans" living their everyday lives...But, hey, you don't want to do that anyway...It's not like visiting France or Italy and immersing yourself in the local culture...

You probably want to be able to get around conveniently on foot or using public transportation...To have restaurant choices and tourist shops close to your hotel...and to be able to easily visit the tourist sites...and then to have a very short taxi ride to the pier...If so, Fisherman's Wharf IS a MAJOR positive...

I've stayed all over the City...and for various reasons...When my daughter used to live in SOMA or when I've been there to attend events at AT&T Park, I've stayed in SOMA at the Marriott Courtyard...When my Brother used to live on Nob Hill, I've chosen hotels there or in the Financial district (I've always liked the Hilton on Kearney--which, long ago, used to be a Holiday Inn--maybe the nicest one they had)...Now that my daughter lives in the Marina, last time I came to visit her, we stayed at the Cow Hollow Inn in the Marina...I've stayed many times across the Bay (My old employer was based in Oakland)...or down the Peninsula for business reasons or to be near the Airport...BUT, if I were going for a pre-cruise stay or just to "play tourist", I would definitely stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area...

You are right, reasonable can disagree.

When I go to a city I want to get a feel for what the city is like. That means I don't head to Times Square when I get to New York or Piccadilly Square when I am in London, I get away from them as far as possible.

I've never heard a traveler ask for the "least authentic, fakest place to stay", "where can I go where I won't see anything to do with the city", "a place where locals never go", "where I can eat at the same mediocre chains that might be in any U.S. city."

I went to school and Berkeley (1970's), lived in the City a few years after and now my office is in San Francisco even though I live in Southern California. I am in SF a couple times every month for a couple of days and have stayed at every conceivable hotel.

My recommendation for the OP would have been Union Square or the Embarcadero, but they asked for a Holiday Inn. I would have recommended the HI Chinatown, but it is a Hilton now. The other Holiday Inns in SF are not in good locations and Van Ness is a good location for the reason I laid out.

As to restaurants,Applebee's, Rainforest Cafe, Bubba Gump's, Hard Rock Cafe?? Is this really your idea of "dining" in one of the great restaurant cities in America?

A lot of visitors think when they are going to Fisherman's Wharf that they are visiting some beloved local institution or a great representation of the city and in fact the exact opposite is true.

Fisherman's Wharf is the LAST place I would stay as a visitor to SF.

SF Trivia: The location of the Holiday Inn/Hilton Financial District on Kearny used to be the city's Hall of Justice. It was also the "location" of the old Perry Mason series.

The Holiday Inn did not have a "4th" floor in its elevator buttons. In Cantonese, "four" has a similar pronunciation as "death":eek: What would have been the 4th floor is part of the Chinese Culture Center that's on the third. Don't know if Hilton kept the tradition.

You are right, reasonable can disagree.

When I go to a city I want to get a feel for what the city is like. That means I don't head to Times Square when I get to New York or Piccadilly Square when I am in London, I get away from them as far as possible.

I've never heard a traveler ask for the "least authentic, fakest place to stay", "where can I go where I won't see anything to do with the city", "a place where locals never go", "where I can eat at the same mediocre chains that might be in any U.S. city."

I went to school and Berkeley (1970's), lived in the City a few years after and now my office is in San Francisco even though I live in Southern California. I am in SF a couple times every month for a couple of days and have stayed at every conceivable hotel.

My recommendation for the OP would have been Union Square or the Embarcadero, but they asked for a Holiday Inn. I would have recommended the HI Chinatown, but it is a Hilton now. The other Holiday Inns in SF are not in good locations and Van Ness is a good location for the reason I laid out.

As to restaurants,Applebee's, Rainforest Cafe, Bubba Gump's, Hard Rock Cafe?? Is this really your idea of "dining" in one of the great restaurant cities in America?

A lot of visitors think when they are going to Fisherman's Wharf that they are visiting some beloved local institution or a great representation of the city and in fact the exact opposite is true.

Fisherman's Wharf is the LAST place I would stay as a visitor to SF.

Scott, I believe you exaggerate in a vain attempt to make some sort of point...

Sure, you can find Bubba Gump and Rainforest Cafe, but that is just among numerous other restaurants in the area...You also can find the many famous local Fisherman's Wharf Seafood places...Of course, I am not particularly fond of those either...But I can also enjoy having Breakfast at the Buena Vista...,or the short stroll over to North Beach for any of the GREAT Italian restaurants there...or the short trek over to Chinatown...OTOH, some people want those places they know and recognize AMONG their choices...and a mix of price ranges. Not everyone is in the City to eat at gourmet restaurants prior to stuffing themselves on a cruise.

If someone really wants the "real" San Francisco, perhaps you could send them to stay at one of the many hotels in the Civic Center area... or in the Tenderloin...It's a big city...lots of areas of town that are specifically "typical"...Doesn't mean they are good places to stay...or convenient...

No, people don't say "I want to stay in the fakest place possible"...But, they also don't say, "Send me somewhere ordinary...that let's me experience what the ordinary working guy living there experiences on a day-to-day basis"...What they ask is "Where is the most convenient place to stay, close to important attractions where I can walk to them, and safe to walk around day and night, where they have nice hotels...and restaurants and souvenir shopping...and tours available?"

SF Trivia: The location of the Holiday Inn/Hilton Financial District on Kearny used to be the city's Hall of Justice. It was also the "location" of the old Perry Mason series.

The Holiday Inn did not have a "4th" floor in its elevator buttons. In Cantonese, "four" has a similar pronunciation as "death":eek: What would have been the 4th floor is part of the Chinese Culture Center that's on the third. Don't know if Hilton kept the tradition.

I've stayed there both as a Holiday Inn and as a Hilton...but it's been a little while, so I had to look it up...

I think it now has a "Fourth Floor":

http://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/groups/popup_floor_map.jhtml?ctyhocn=SFOFDHF&floorId=SFOFDHF_FOURTH_FLOOR

Edited by Bruin Steve

We stayed at the Hotel Zephyr, because that's what we got from Hotwire, but we were very happy. We did have friends recommend the Holiday Inn to us though, that is where they stay when in town. Both are in a good location, nice and close to anything a tourist would want to do.

Scott, I believe you exaggerate in a vain attempt to make some sort of point...

Sure, you can find Bubba Gump and Rainforest Cafe, but that is just among numerous other restaurants in the area...You also can find the many famous local Fisherman's Wharf Seafood places...Of course, I am not particularly fond of those either...But I can also enjoy having Breakfast at the Buena Vista...,or the short stroll over to North Beach for any of the GREAT Italian restaurants there...or the short trek over to Chinatown...OTOH, some people want those places they know and recognize AMONG their choices...and a mix of price ranges. Not everyone is in the City to eat at gourmet restaurants prior to stuffing themselves on a cruise.

If someone really wants the "real" San Francisco, perhaps you could send them to stay at one of the many hotels in the Civic Center area... or in the Tenderloin...It's a big city...lots of areas of town that are specifically "typical"...Doesn't mean they are good places to stay...or convenient...

No, people don't say "I want to stay in the fakest place possible"...But, they also don't say, "Send me somewhere ordinary...that let's me experience what the ordinary working guy living there experiences on a day-to-day basis"...What they ask is "Where is the most convenient place to stay, close to important attractions where I can walk to them, and safe to walk around day and night, where they have nice hotels...and restaurants and souvenir shopping...and tours available?"

You think I exaggerate in a vain attempt and then say I should recommend the Civic Center or Tenderloin? Pot meet the kettle?

Nob Hill, the area that the Holiday Inn is in isn't ordinary, it is the toniest area in San Francisco.

https://goo.gl/maps/U3H6bJDcDxj

You characterize the attractions at Fisherman's Wharf as important, I would call Grace Cathedral, the Fairmont, Cable Car Museum, etc important attractions and they are all in Nob Hill. It also puts you walking distance to Chinatown and Union Square.

As to dining, there are almost no great restaurants in the Fisherman's Wharf area. I notice you direct people away from it to North Beach and Chinatown while mumbling about breakfast at the Buena Vista.

The once great local restaurants (Alioto's, Scoma's, etc) have become mostly overpriced tourist traps not giving a whit about service because in all likelihood they know they'll never see you again. I only go to Scoma's anymore because I think they still have great cioppino, but if I can go to Scoma's Sausalito, I do.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/aliotos-restaurant-san-francisco

Bruin Steve and Scottca075 (and anyone else who wants to comment), we appreciate your interplay regarding the benefits and detriments of staying in the FW area. We'd appreciate your input on the two hotels for which we have reservations for 8/31 to 9/3, before our 9/3 cruise: Holiday Inn Express FW, and Hilton San Francisco Financial District (Kearney St.) All other things being equal, the Hilton Reservation is more than $100 per night more than the Holiday Inn reservation, because it's on an executive floor. Obviously, we have to cancel one of the reservations.

For what it's worth, it's been 40 years since our only trip to SF; and then we had an infant in tow. We do NOT eat at chain restaurants if we can avoid them, but prefer local restaurants. That's one of the reasons why we love living within 10 miles of Times Square.

Thanks.

Edited by Joanandjoe

Bruin Steve and Scottca075 (and anyone else who wants to comment), we appreciate your interplay regarding the benefits and detriments of staying in the FW area. We'd appreciate your input on the two hotels for which we have reservations for 8/31 to 9/3, before our 9/3 cruise: Holiday Inn Express FW, and Hilton San Francisco Financial District (Kearney St.) All other things being equal, the Hilton Reservation is more than $100 per night more than the Holiday Inn reservation, because it's on an executive floor. Obviously, we have to cancel one of the reservations.

For what it's worth, it's been 40 years since our only trip to SF; and then we had an infant in tow. We do NOT eat at chain restaurants if we can avoid them, but prefer local restaurants. That's one of the reasons why we love living within 10 miles of Times Square.

Thanks.

I don't like Fisherman's Wharf, but for a $300-$400 difference I'd stay at the Holiday Inn and take the money for a meal at Quince, Gary Danko or the like.

You think I exaggerate in a vain attempt and then say I should recommend the Civic Center or Tenderloin? Pot meet the kettle?

Nob Hill, the area that the Holiday Inn is in isn't ordinary, it is the toniest area in San Francisco.

Yeah...but it's only marginally in Nob Hill...more like DOWN the hill...It's an eight block walk to the top of the hill--where the Fairmont and the Mark Hopkins are...But, to consider that "walking distance", one has to see what you are walking...

Here is a photo of Nob Hill--looking at California Street leaving Van Ness--where that Holiday Inn is...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/35/115702433_fcc5335b79_b.jpg

Scott, I don't think we are ever going to agree...

Thanks.

Joan and Joe,

I believe both are good choices....I have never stayed at that Holiday Inn Express myself...but I DO like the location...

I have stayed in that Hilton many times (including when it used to be a Holiday Inn) and there are many reasons I keep going back...I always seem to get a great view of the Coit Tower from my room...It is an easy walk to anything in Chinatown (It's right at the "gate")...and an easy walk into the North Beach/Little Italy restaurant area (about four blocks to the Stinking Rose on Columbus)...It's only about three blocks to Lawrence Ferlinghetti's City Lights Bookstore and the bar Vesuvius (stop in and have a drink--if you don't know the history of these places, Google them)...

The Holiday Inn Express, OTOH, is right in the center of the Wharf area...and there is a lot to do around there...and you can always catch a fairly cheap cab or an Uber to North Beach, Nob Hill or wherever you want to go from there...say you don't want to eat a "tourist dinner" at the Wharf...

So, for me, it's a "flip a coin" situation...Is the price equal? Do you like the luxury of a Hilton over the standard Holiday Inn Express concept? Free Breakfast at HI Express? Will you have a car? (I hope not--they are difficult to use in the City, but, if so, check the parking rates)...

Good luck...and have fun!

Really appreciate your comments and recommendations. And you've pretty much nailed it for us. A couple of days prior to a cruise is only enough time to see a few things, not do a complete inventory of San Francisco city life, so the Fisherman's Wharf area sounds like a good fit for us. A nice hotel, see some sights, have a good meal, next day, "lather, rinse, repeat," then it's off to the cruise port. Without a vehicle, we need to be in an area where we can walk to as many things as possible, so again, it seems the FW area is a good choice for us.

Thanks to you and the other posters who weighed in on this.:)

Really appreciate your comments and recommendations. And you've pretty much nailed it for us. A couple of days prior to a cruise is only enough time to see a few things, not do a complete inventory of San Francisco city life, so the Fisherman's Wharf area sounds like a good fit for us. A nice hotel, see some sights, have a good meal, next day, "lather, rinse, repeat," then it's off to the cruise port. Without a vehicle, we need to be in an area where we can walk to as many things as possible, so again, it seems the FW area is a good choice for us.

Thanks to you and the other posters who weighed in on this.:)

The discussion between Steve and I about the best Holiday for a previous poster and then the subsequent Hilton Financial District vs Holiday Inn Express Fisherman's Wharf discussion is a very different conversation from the merits of Fisherman's Wharf vs Union Square or the Embarcadero as a place to stay.

You don't have to do a "complete inventory of San Francisco city life", but wouldn't you like a little bit of San Francisco city life? You won't get any of it at Fisherman's Wharf. It is like visiting Disney World in FL and thinking you've experienced Florida.

Nice hotels and good meals doesn't describe Fisherman's Wharf. The nicest hotels in the city aren't in Fisherman's Wharf they are at Union Square, Nob Hill, the Embarcadero and SOMA. The best restaurants (best, not necessarily expensive) aren't in Fisherman's Wharf.

There is one very good hotel in Fisherman's Wharf (The Argonaut) and one very good restaurant (Gary Danko), the rest are fair to middling and not representative of what the city has to offer.

Why fly in early to see "San Francisco" and then not see it? Fisherman's Wharf as it exists today is a creation of developers in the late 1970's and early 1980's. When I was a student at Berkeley in the 1970's Fisherman's Wharf was still the home to a sizable fishing fleet that brought in catches daily that were distributed throughout the state. The restaurants at the wharf like Scoma's and Alioto's were still top notch restaurants.

But since the fleet has shrunk considerably and development has shoved out locals the restaurants have declined in quality while increasing their prices. Why work hard to please a customer you'll never see again knowing that another tourist you'll never see again will take his place?

The article below is an interesting read about Fisherman's Wharf.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/26/us/26bcwharf.html?_r=0

Edited by scottca075

• 2 weeks later...

I am wrestling with some of the same issues as OP & others. We are considering booking April 17 Grand Princess West Coast cruise and flying in morning of April 15 (& no post cruise stay as we will fly out on disembarkation day). We would stay 2 nights and have a day & half for some activities.

Past 3 stays in SF in the 80's & early 90's were at Sheraton Palace Hotel and a large Marriott in same general area (kinda looked like a jukebox to us), both of which were convenient to the start of the cable car line at Powell. We LOVED taking the cable cars to Buena Vista, Scoma's, Aliota's, and also rented a car to drive to Cliff House on those past trips. Back then (as I recall) hotels around FW were sleezy to expensive with nothing inbetween. I realize that MANY years have past & that "things change". (Including US -- we are now mid-70s & we are not as eager for long walks as we were back then!) So in view of all this, I have tentatively booked Courtyard at FW due to it's convenience to BV, cable cars, waterfront restaurants. Thinking also we may take either HOHO bus or a 1/2 day city tour on GreyLine/Viator bus that includes going to Twin Peaks & GG Bridge & hopefully Cliff House.

FYI: On our 3rd trip to NYC prior to another Princess cruise, we stayed at Renaissance on Times Square & loved the area's activity and unusual ambiance. We used the HOHO bus tours!!. Previous NYC trade-show trips in the 90's involved week-long stays at Marriott Marquis on Times Square, using TKTS to go to shows & brunch at World Trade Center!

All this to say, this is just the way we like to do things....THANKFULLY the cable cars are still in existence & I imagine lines are still long to get on them at each end!!!

I am wrestling with some of the same issues as OP & others. We are considering booking April 17 Grand Princess West Coast cruise and flying in morning of April 15 (& no post cruise stay as we will fly out on disembarkation day). We would stay 2 nights and have a day & half for some activities.

Past 3 stays in SF in the 80's & early 90's were at Sheraton Palace Hotel and a large Marriott in same general area (kinda looked like a jukebox to us), both of which were convenient to the start of the cable car line at Powell. We LOVED taking the cable cars to Buena Vista, Scoma's, Aliota's, and also rented a car to drive to Cliff House on those past trips. Back then (as I recall) hotels around FW were sleezy to expensive with nothing inbetween. I realize that MANY years have past & that "things change". (Including US -- we are now mid-70s & we are not as eager for long walks as we were back then!) So in view of all this, I have tentatively booked Courtyard at FW due to it's convenience to BV, cable cars, waterfront restaurants. Thinking also we may take either HOHO bus or a 1/2 day city tour on GreyLine/Viator bus that includes going to Twin Peaks & GG Bridge & hopefully Cliff House.

FYI: On our 3rd trip to NYC prior to another Princess cruise, we stayed at Renaissance on Times Square & loved the area's activity and unusual ambiance. We used the HOHO bus tours!!. Previous NYC trade-show trips in the 90's involved week-long stays at Marriott Marquis on Times Square, using TKTS to go to shows & brunch at World Trade Center!

All this to say, this is just the way we like to do things....THANKFULLY the cable cars are still in existence & I imagine lines are still long to get on them at each end!!!

You don't mention your budget and that is one key to getting the best recommendations.

The Sheraton Palace is now The Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel after some great upgrades and renovations. The Marriott you are referring to is the Marriott Marquis.

The Embarcadero would be my pick over Fisherman's Wharf, so would Union Square. I'd also be looking at a Kimpton Hotel in San Francisco over the standard corporate hotels. Kimpton started in San Francisco buying older hotels and restoring them.

https://www.kimptonhotels.com/boutique-hotels-in-san-francisco

Scoma's still does a decent cioppino, but Alioto's has fallen very far and the Buena Vista is only good for an Irish Coffee.

San Francisco is one of the top restaurant cities in the country. I wouldn't waste time in Fisherman's Wharf eating.

The Top Questions section of TripAdvisor (Cruise Critic's parent company) has suggestions on Seafood, Italian, Romantic and more.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c201260/San-Francisco:California:Seafood.In.San.Francisco.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c200745/San-Francisco:California:Italian.Restaurants.In.San.Francisco.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k7455186-Top_restaurant_picks-San_Francisco_California.html

Another question for locals.

We also just booked the 10/7 PC cruise and after reading on the roll call went ahead and booked the Hampton Inn Daly City as it was in our price range. Just looked now and it has already gone up in price. So my question is how to get from hotel to cruise port? Taxi? It says there is a metro nearby is that doable with 16 day cruise luggage? What are our alternatives?

We have stayed in SF other times so sight seeing isn't a big thing. Any help would be appreciated.

We also just booked the 10/7 PC cruise and after reading on the roll call went ahead and booked the Hampton Inn Daly City as it was in our price range. Just looked now and it has already gone up in price. So my question is how to get from hotel to cruise port? Taxi? It says there is a metro nearby is that doable with 16 day cruise luggage? What are our alternatives?

We have stayed in SF other times so sight seeing isn't a big thing. Any help would be appreciated.

The Hampton Inn is close to the Colma BART station,still a cab ride I'd day, but if 16 days of luggage means more than one large suitcase and one smaller one, both on wheels, then I would use Uber or UberXL instead.

Overall convenience would be a taxi all the way.

You'll need a taxi to get to a BART (subway system). You are right in between two stations and both are about 1/2 mi plus in each direction.

In your immediate area you have the following fine dining establishments:

McDonald, Wendy's, a Chinese restaurant, Krispy Kreme, In N Out Burger, I-Hop, Korean (inside the grocery store), and Val's http://www.yelp.com/biz/vals-steak-house-restaurant-and-lounge-daly-city, plus a deli/liquor store on the backside(?) of the Hampton Inn.

Edited by Philob

Thanks so much you two for the quick response. It looks like we are all set if there is a Krispy Creme and a liquor store close by, LOL. I am one of those people that even though it is still far off I like to know my options ahead of time and shame on us for not knowing about the air show. But this is the cruise DH wanted and all I care is that I am on a cruise. Thanks again

Thanks so much you two for the quick response. It looks like we are all set if there is a Krispy Creme and a liquor store close by, LOL. I am one of those people that even though it is still far off I like to know my options ahead of time and shame on us for not knowing about the air show. But this is the cruise DH wanted and all I care is that I am on a cruise. Thanks again

One of the best dim sum restaurants in the Bay Area is just 2 1/2 miles from your hotel, Koi Palace.

Scott -- Thanks for your suggestions and information, as I am still planning and haven't booked the cruise yet. You asked about "budget". Two of the past trips were business trips or trade shows for hubby (& I tagged along), all paid for by his company. But now we are retired and have been paying for hotels ourselves for past 15 years!!! While we will not book the cheapest hotels, I look for comfort and good value (or a deal), usually within Marriott-Hyatt-Hilton etc groups. Some Best Westerns, Holiday Inns & Country Inns. We have Wyndham timeshare, but the timeshare hotel in SF is unavailable for our dates. I am open to changing our hotel choice, but I chose the Courtyard based on it's proximity to cable car turnaround, and I always check Marriott 1st.

(By the way, our TA for this cruise is located in the Bay Area and she grew up in North Beach, so she is planning to suggest 2 restaurants.)

Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations on taxi vs shuttle vs limo/town car service from airport to hotel, and from ship to airport (SFO)? Appreciate the suggestions for BART, but don't think we are that adventuresome. We dragged luggage around European airports & trains 2 years ago, but we are past that!!! Rather pay a driver who will safely & quietly take us to our destination with only minimal discussion.

I really enjoy the Wharf. My favorite thing is the seals! The seals! At Pier 39. Lounging around and barking. I am thrilled with them. I sometimes say they combine the best qualities of a dog and a cat. Perhaps I sound a little crazy!

As far as Fleet Week, wow. I had to drive through S.F. in 2014 when the Blue Angels were buzzing around as I drove the Bay Bridge. Flying so close to the bridge. Then, in the city, they had also just finished the Columbus Day parade in North Beach. The place was heaving with people, as the British say. I had to drop someone off in the thick of it. Unbelievable traffic getting in and out. But if you are on foot, it should be a lot of fun.

As far as gourmet, clam chowder in a bread bowl is an inexpensive tradition for walk-away food at the Wharf. People love it. I like food like that. And I always eat the bowl and enjoy it.

Stay at the Wharf, near to your ship. You'll have fun, especially if the weather is nice.