New Carry-on size rules??

lsok

Leaving in 3 weeks for a 14 day cruise with 3 day extensions before and after cruise--so about 3 weeks total. Flying from San Diego (commuter plane) to LAX where we fly British Air to Heathrow and then into Stockholm. Hope to pack in just carry on (which will indeed be a challenge), not because we don't want to pay for luggage, but because on our last trip, through Heathrow, British Air lost our checked bag(s) in BOTH directions.

The carry on suitcase, that I have used successfully in the past, is the 22" from Costco with 2 wheels only. I did carry it on a year and a half ago on British Air without any problem. Also, it did fit into the sizing frame on an American Air domestic flight this past May(although, just barely), when the LAX porter said "that bag is too big for a carry on!" but I am concerned about whether British Air has a new size restriction for carry on bags. The bag measures 23" from wheels to top, even though it is sold as a 22".

If we are going to have to check this bag after arrival at the airport, I might as well pack in a large bag and not have to worry about what I pack. I have looked at the new "carry-on" spinner suitcases at the stores, but the inside room is a lot smaller than my suitcase and I would never fit everything in for this length of trip.

Thanks for your input!

They aren't new carry on rules but British Air can be very, very difficult about wheeled bags in general and specifically ones that are the size (or bigger) of yours.

If you want to risk it, I would absolutely make sure that you have a 'grab and go' bag already packed in that carry on that you can pull out if you are forced to gate check this bag.

In that 'grab and go' bag I would have anything of value, medicines, a change of clothes, tooth brush and etc as well as anything you can't live without.

If you are forced to gate check, you will only have a couple minutes to pull out your 'grab and go' bag before your carry on disappears from your sight.

My own husband let his brand new iPad go in his bag that was forced gate checked and didn't realize until the bag was well out of his sight that the iPad wasn't even stored very well. He was worried sick about it the whole flight and also had nothing to read. He knew better than to do that but wasn't thinking. Happens to all of us sooner or later.

Good point about class of service--never thought about that. We were in World Traveller Plus on that trip--or whatever they call the roomier coach seats. Not so on this flight booked through cruise line:(

Doesn't matter what the bag was sold as - it's the REAL measurements that count... It's always measured from the floor up to the highest sticking out point of the top.

Absolutely, positively, go and get very familiar with the BA cabin baggage requirements, including weight. Sure, everyone will say they've never been weighed for cabin baggage, but if the airline has a limit, you had better be sure you are within the limit.

Also, be aware that, in some circumstances, the 21.5" roller carryon will not be allowed in the cabin of those commuter planes - they just don't fit. I see that AA runs the "Barbie Jet" between SAN-LAX on all but 2 flights, with those being the slightly bigger CRJ700. You absolutely won't be able to get that roller on the Barbie (voice of experience from years of flying that thing SLC-YYC and SLC-PHX) and it's highly doubtful on the 700. Be sure that you valet the bag, not gate check it. Some airlines have a distiction - valet and you get the bag back plane side, gate check and you gotta pick it up at the baggage claim...

Doesn't matter what the bag was sold as - it's the REAL measurements that count... It's always measured from the floor up to the highest sticking out point of the top.

Absolutely, positively, go and get very familiar with the BA cabin baggage requirements, including weight. Sure, everyone will say they've never been weighed for cabin baggage, but if the airline has a limit, you had better be sure you are within the limit.

Also, be aware that, in some circumstances, the 21.5" roller carryon will not be allowed in the cabin of those commuter planes - they just don't fit. Be sure that you valet the bag, not gate check it. Some airlines have a distiction - valet and you get the bag back plane side, gate check and you gotta pick it up at the baggage claim...

Yes, very true.

But I still highly recommend having a 'grab and go' bag in the carry on so that your personal needs items, medicines and valuables are not in the hold, out of your sight.

I have learned in the school of hard knocks not to argue with British Air over carry on bags.

Also, be aware that, in some circumstances, the 21.5" roller carryon will not be allowed in the cabin of those commuter planes - they just don't fit. I see that AA runs the "Barbie Jet" between SAN-LAX on all but 2 flights, with those being the slightly bigger CRJ700. You absolutely won't be able to get that roller on the Barbie (voice of experience from years of flying that thing SLC-YYC and SLC-PHX) and it's highly doubtful on the 700. Be sure that you valet the bag, not gate check it. Some airlines have a distiction - valet and you get the bag back plane side, gate check and you gotta pick it up at the baggage claim...

I realized that we would not be able to carry our bags on the commuter plane. It is the initial check in location for our international flight, so hopefully we won't have to go to baggage claim. We were/are? planning on going directly to the international terminal at LAX without going through security again. Never heard of "valet" before.

I realized that we would not be able to carry our bags on the commuter plane. It is the initial check in location for our international flight, so hopefully we won't have to go to baggage claim. We were/are? planning on going directly to the international terminal at LAX without going through security again. Never heard of "valet" before.

Probably my Delta-ness showing through. I would walk my bag right up to the plane and get a pink "valet" tag put on the bag and I'd place it on the little cart at the bottom of the stairs in SLC or drop it at the bottom of the jetway in YYC and PHX. I'd then retrieve it at the bottom of the stairs or at the bottom of the jetway again. "Gate check" usually entailed the bag going in to the general hold and being taken off with the rest of the hold baggage rather than separated out and brought to the jetway.

Also, I think the walkway between T4 and TBIT has been closed because they are using it now to walk arriving international passengers from T4 to TBIT to clear Customs since they shut down the T4 Customs facility. Absolutely, positively, check to be sure that there is still an airside way to get from T4 to TBIT. If there isn't, plan extra time to walk landside to TBIT and re-do the TSA show :(

The weight limit is no problem since British Airways allow 51lb.

Maybe it's something with american airports I don't understand but I must ask something.

You plan to check in your carry on for your first flight, right? And you hope that you don't need to go to baggage claim after your first flight, right? My question is, when shall you get your carry on back?

Maybe it's something with american airports I don't understand but I must ask something.

You plan to check in your carry on for your first flight, right? And you hope that you don't need to go to baggage claim after your first flight, right? My question is, when shall you get your carry on back?

I assumed, since our flights are all ticketed through British Air, that we check in for our international flight in San Diego, even though it is a commuter plane, the carry on bags would be "gate checked" and we would get our bags back as we exited the commuter flight at LAX. Then proceed, without exiting the terminal and needing to go through security again, on to our international flight. Perhaps I am incorrect--will need to check it out.

I assumed, since our flights are all ticketed through British Air, that we check in for our international flight in San Diego, even though it is a commuter plane, the carry on bags would be "gate checked" and we would get our bags back as we exited the commuter flight at LAX. Then proceed, without exiting the terminal and needing to go through security again, on to our international flight. Perhaps I am incorrect--will need to check it out.

Then I understand. It was the "gate checked" thing I didn't knew about.

LAX is weird. Make no assumptions. Check the airport's WEB site to see if you have to go outside in the fresh air to walk to Tom Bradley International Terminal which means reclearing the TSA.

I just did a posting over on a site that discusses all things AA (your SAN-LAX flight will be on the American Eagle commuter). I asked if it was possible to stay airside between the AA terminal (T4) and TBIT. The answer was "no". The tunnel that WILL allow that isn't built yet and won't be available until sometime in 2015.

So, at LAX, you will be bussed from the American Eagle commuter terminal to the AA terminal, walking out of the AA Terminal, turning left, walking about 5 minutes to the TBIT, going through TSA pleasantries again. Sorry. The only good news is that any checked luggage you have will be transferred automatically. But, you will be hauling your carryon through the terminals, outside, and through TSA again. You will be able to take your carryon to the commuter plane and have it valeted, pick it back up after deplaning and before you get on the commuter shuttle bus. I'm paranoid enough that I would ask the GA that my bag will be available at the plane and NOT at the baggage claim. Stranger things have happened before.

Oh, for the carryon, BA does allow an outrageous 51lb (:eek:), but it also says you must be able to lift it yourself ;)

The above explanation is what I did my most recent time at LAX. I knew about it and didn't mind the few minutes of fresh air (well sort-of fresh air).

The TSA at TBIT is fierce as the flights are international. Don't waste a minute along your route so you can have as much time available to you as possible.

You can shop after the TSA check point in TBIT.

I just did a posting over on a site that discusses all things AA (your SAN-LAX flight will be on the American Eagle commuter). I asked if it was possible to stay airside between the AA terminal (T4) and TBIT. The answer was "no". The tunnel that WILL allow that isn't built yet and won't be available until sometime in 2015.

So, at LAX, you will be bussed from the American Eagle commuter terminal to the AA terminal, walking out of the AA Terminal, turning left, walking about 5 minutes to the TBIT, going through TSA pleasantries again. Sorry. The only good news is that any checked luggage you have will be transferred automatically. But, you will be hauling your carryon through the terminals, outside, and through TSA again. You will be able to take your carryon to the commuter plane and have it valeted, pick it back up after deplaning and before you get on the commuter shuttle bus. I'm paranoid enough that I would ask the GA that my bag will be available at the plane and NOT at the baggage claim. Stranger things have happened before.

Thank you all for your wonderful research! Our commuter flight has an AA# but is operated by Skywest and according to our tickets, lands at T4. In looking at the map of LAX, Terminal 4 is right next to TBIT right? Why would they have to bus us anywhere? We have 2 hrs 40 min between flights, which is enough time, I hope:)

I'm almost giving up on the all carry-on idea. I am hoping to get over to BA in San Diego to use their measuring device before buying a new, smaller carry on bag.

Thank you all for your wonderful research! Our commuter flight has an AA# but is operated by Skywest and according to our tickets, lands at T4. In looking at the map of LAX, Terminal 4 is right next to TBIT right? Why would they have to bus us anywhere? We have 2 hrs 40 min between flights, which is enough time, I hope:)

I'm almost giving up on the all carry-on idea. I am hoping to get over to BA in San Diego to use their measuring device before buying a new, smaller carry on bag.

Skywest is one of the airlines that operates as American Eagle. You'll still be at a remote terminal that uses a bus to get to the main American Airlines terminal (T4)

Should be plenty. Even on mainline American, you would still need to leave T4 and go around the bend to TBIT. Coming into the remote Eagle "terminal" adds a little time. But not too much. Remember, the planes are a lot smaller and don't take as long to de-board.

2 hours 40 minutes should be time enough, but do not slow down or hesitate until you are done with the TSA stuff at TBIT. You know the way so just carry on.

The walk is a sidewalk that is easy to see when you step out of T4 just go to the left.

TBIT is the next building.

Travel well!

I don't think that BA are as strict as some people say. My wife has a carry on which is too big but it is a little soft so if someone should say that it's too big, it can be squeezed into the measuring device so it is within the limits. Noone has ever told us that we must measure it so they can't be very strict! Of course it's best to be safe and have a small enough carry on.

Great information here, I click on this post because of title. I thought, "now what are the airlines doing?" I am flying BA for the first time this year. I did not check but assumed the weight limit would be about 15 lbs or like. Was I surprised when I check BA web site just now. Happy day not to be weighing and shifting stuff.:):) My carry on is smaller size, 19":( but it expands a little.

Thank you.

Leaving in 3 weeks for a 14 day cruise with 3 day extensions before and after cruise--so about 3 weeks total. Flying from San Diego (commuter plane) to LAX where we fly British Air to Heathrow and then into Stockholm. Hope to pack in just carry on (which will indeed be a challenge), not because we don't want to pay for luggage, but because on our last trip, through Heathrow, British Air lost our checked bag(s) in BOTH directions.

The carry on suitcase, that I have used successfully in the past, is the 22" from Costco with 2 wheels only. I did carry it on a year and a half ago on British Air without any problem. Also, it did fit into the sizing frame on an American Air domestic flight this past May(although, just barely), when the LAX porter said "that bag is too big for a carry on!" but I am concerned about whether British Air has a new size restriction for carry on bags. The bag measures 23" from wheels to top, even though it is sold as a 22".

If we are going to have to check this bag after arrival at the airport, I might as well pack in a large bag and not have to worry about what I pack. I have looked at the new "carry-on" spinner suitcases at the stores, but the inside room is a lot smaller than my suitcase and I would never fit everything in for this length of trip.

Thanks for your input!

I think this is about the size of my carry on I used this summer on BA. I got to England just fine out of LAX but I was stopped at security at Heathrow by a lady saying the bag had to be checked. No amount of arguing made her change her mind. BA has lost my luggage in the past as well. The flight back to LA was on a 747 and my bag would not have fit in the overhead. I was surprised! I hate waiting for my bags at LAX. They are slow.

I traveled 3 weeks and mixed and matched well with few clothes. I will be looking for a smaller bag as I refuse to check bags.

Good luck!

I think this is about the size of my carry on I used this summer on BA. I got to England just fine out of LAX but I was stopped at security at Heathrow by a lady saying the bag had to be checked. No amount of arguing made her change her mind. BA has lost my luggage in the past as well. The flight back to LA was on a 747 and my bag would not have fit in the overhead. I was surprised! I hate waiting for my bags at LAX. They are slow.

I traveled 3 weeks and mixed and matched well with few clothes. I will be looking for a smaller bag as I refuse to check bags.

Good luck!

Interesting that you were stopped at security. I have never heared before that they care about bagsize at security. Did you have to use a bagdrop desk or what happened?

Archived