Shore excursion: seaplane, helicopter, neither?

romanholiday0809

Best way to see glaciers  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Best way to see glaciers

• Helicopter
    • Seaplane
    • Neither (please post best option)

Hi all- my wife and I are new to cruising so this will be our first cruise.

I would like to know whether you all felt that the helicopter glacier tours were better than the seaplane tours. The helicopter ones seem significantly more expensive, but at least one of them includes a glacier walk.

If it makes a difference, we are cursing at the end of June.

appreciate the help! thanks :D

edit: I should add our ports:

1. Ketchican (but very early morning until mid-afternoon only)

2. Juneau

3. Skagway

Edited by romanholiday0809

We did both: a helicopter plus glacier walk out of Juneau, and a float plane into the fjords out of Ketchikan. The scenery on the float plane was really special, BUT......

The helicopter was hands-down the winner. Not as much visual candy from the air (though there was lots), nor because it was a helicopter, but the walk on the glacier will NEVER be forgotten. Never. Worth the cost for us.

We took a chopper out of Juneau which included setting down on a glacier and a time to explore and take pictures. A fun and fascinating experience we will probably never get to do again. I will also note that I had previously flown around Alaska in small planes, but never in a float plane; with the chopper it was a new and different experience.

I am also looking into a helicopter tour. Our day in Juneau is too packed so I am now on to Skagway. I like the sound of the heli-hike-rail combination. Has anyone done this? It is only a bit more expensive than the helicopter alone and gives a few extra hours. Any reason we should not take it?

I am also looking into a helicopter tour. Our day in Juneau is too packed so I am now on to Skagway. I like the sound of the heli-hike-rail combination. Has anyone done this? It is only a bit more expensive than the helicopter alone and gives a few extra hours. Any reason we should not take it?

I saw that too. We are leaning against it because there's no glacier time and because, although more expensive, the actual air time was much less.

perhaps viewing videos will help you with your decision.

Look on youtube under ' hebert glacier', 'glacier' 'flightseeing', etc. Or vendor name.

This is a list of flightseeing videos from Alaska.org

http://www.alaska.org/videos/

I only recall one trip report from last summer that included a heli trip in Juneau .... it also includes dog sledding. They chose Hebert Glacier which went up while the others were weathered out. Look at photos from petlover's trip report.

Edited by mapleleaves

Nothing beats helicopter view than land and walk on a Glacier, do the helicopter, a once in a lifetime experience, we loved it enough to do it again on our second trip. We'd probably spring for it a third time if we get to Alaska again.

We are also looking for a helicopter ride and walking on a glacier. Any suggestions for companies? Also thinking out of Skagway. Would you recommend doing it with Princess? They have a 2 hour tour that is is about $350 per person. We will be there in late July.

We are also looking for a helicopter ride and walking on a glacier. Any suggestions for companies? Also thinking out of Skagway. Would you recommend doing it with Princess? They have a 2 hour tour that is is about $350 per person. We will be there in late July.

I'm looking also. I suggest finding out how much time is spent trekking on the glacier. Some tours only offer 30 minutes. Ask how much time for transportation, flight, safety briefing and actual time on the ice.

Princess does not operate the tour. TEMSCO does, no matter how you book it.

Looks to me like thirty to forty minutes on the glacier is pretty standard. I would really like more too. We are likely to do the Princess tour like imalori. We're on the June 14th Ruby.

There are big differences with helicopter tours. IF you want time on a glacier, then look at Northstar- I do, however, only recommend the level 3 tour, since it's ALL about TIME. The higher level tour, also isn't likely to have someone, less "fit" holding the group back.

Most "walks" are 30-45 minutes, with sometimes, the ship contracted tours, being the least, since they are so tightly scheduled.

I checked out Northstar and they have an awesome helicopter, glacier, hike... but when I tried to book, it linked to Princess. It asks what cruise you're on. I am trying to communicate with them directly, though I'm happy to pay Princess, since I have ship credit. Teechee - try googling northstar juneau, and you'll find the link.

If I understand correctly it appears that Northstar only operates out of Juneau. Our day in Juneau is full with Tracy Arm and whale watching. So we are left with Skagway or Ketchikan for helicopter. Again that is if I understand correctly. Any corrections are welcome. Please correct me....

If I understand correctly it appears that Northstar only operates out of Juneau. Our day in Juneau is full with Tracy Arm and whale watching. So we are left with Skagway or Ketchikan for helicopter. Again that is if I understand correctly. Any corrections are welcome. Please correct me....

Northstar is only out of Juneau.

Has anyone done the Yukon to the sea downhill bike ride in Skagway? We did the bike ride in Maui on Haleakala several years ago and enjoyed it. Wondering how it compares.

It isn't the "Yukon", it is BC. I did this over 15 years ago, not really my preference, and I wouldn't do it again. No bike paths, and only going as fast as the slowest person. :) Several stops, and you ride between two guides. I much prefer, just renting a bike, independent, and going out of Dyea. Not sure, if still in effect- but the Haleakala bike route was shortened a few years ago, due to the deaths, so it would depend where your particular tour started?

It isn't the "Yukon", it is BC. I did this over 15 years ago, not really my preference, and I wouldn't do it again. No bike paths, and only going as fast as the slowest person. :) Several stops, and you ride between two guides. I much prefer, just renting a bike, independent, and going out of Dyea. Not sure, if still in effect- but the Haleakala bike route was shortened a few years ago, due to the deaths, so it would depend where your particular tour started?

Queen, thanks for the bike riding advice. I think we're going to pass on the bikes. May reallocate those dollars to Misty Fjords flightseeing in Ketchikan.