Travel requirements for parents traveling alone

rebeccalouiseagain

Get your children passports if you are traveling alone with your kids.

I just read some information that I was not aware of and this may impact your cruises even if they are closed looped ones that don't ordinarily require passports.

Princess cruise line explicitly states that if a child is traveling with only one adult- they must have a passport even on close looped cruises from the US. This was news to me and I'm glad that I have read this policy. My kids usually do have passports but I was under the impression that all US citizens could do closed loop cruises with just a birth certificate and photo ID. This is NOT the case.

This is from the Princess cruise contract for all their close looped cruises:

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE ("WHTI") (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, MEXICO, UNITED STATES)

When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Carrier requires that all passengers must be in possession of a valid passport. Carrier has implemented this requirement so that Your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. Carrier cannot guarantee that all members of Your party will be allowed to disembark with only a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all passengers traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

(iv) Arrive at least two hours before the scheduled or amended sailing time and have with You all required documentation. Attach a completed Princess Cruises luggage tag to each piece of baggage.

(v) Be sure that You and any person in Your care are fit to take the Cruise. (See Section 8).

Also- children and adults can no longer drive across the border into Canada or Mexico and return to the US without a passport. I was not aware of this and even talked to my travel agent about my son possibly traveling with me on a close looped cruise to Alaska and she didn't know about this "alone with only one adult" rule. A birth certificate will not satisfy the new requirements for children traveling alone with one adult.

Make sure to read the "cruise contract" for you upcoming cruise if you are a single parent or parent traveling alone with small children.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Yes. If child is traveling out of the country with only one parent, that parent needs a notarized letter from the parent not going on the trip giving their permission for other parent to take child out of the country.

Odds are you will not be asked to present the letter when embarking. However, isn't it better to have it and not be asked than to be asked and not have it?

~robin and brian~

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

You are correct, I have not always been asked to show the consent form but don't forget it. Mexico and Canada are getting really strict on this consent form and I know you'll be asked for it.

So here is what I would bring to cover all the bases- a notarized consent letter that reads

My child______________________ has permission to travel with his mother (your name) outside of the United States. (Your name) has permission to make any necessary medical decisions while traveling outside of the country.

___________________________(Father's signature)

Make sure the notary seal has not expired (it usually only lasts for two years).

Bring the child's birth certificate if you have different last names or there is any doubt that you are the birth mother (i.e you look too young or too old to have said child or the child is of mixed race)

Bring a valid passport for ALL of you.(some countries require that there are still six months left on the passport).

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Yes. If child is traveling out of the country with only one parent, that parent needs a notarized letter from the parent not going on the trip giving their permission for other parent to take child out of the country.

Odds are you will not be asked to present the letter when embarking. However, isn't it better to have it and not be asked than to be asked and not have it?

Perfect advice in most cases. Of course, if there is no other parent, then instead of the notarized letter, bring proof that you're allowed to leave the country alone with your child(ren) - death certificate, custody papers, birth certificate showing one parent.

Love it when great advice like this is given, rather than the inevitable "I cruised without it, so you don't need it either" posts :).

Best,

Mia

Because of the wording 'only one adult' in the Princess rule, some have construed this to mean if a child is traveling with two grandparents, or parent and grandparent, that is two adults and the child does not need a passport. I read it as only one parent. How do you read it? EM

The rules are so weird that I wouldn't trust anyone to give you the go ahead and then you get stopped at the ship.

For safety sake, I would have all three things with you when traveling... the passport, birth certificate because many Moms are remarried or have a different last name and the notarized letter of consent. I assume that if there are more than one adult in your party- then this rule wouldn't apply but it's so confusing that I wouldn't chance it.

The issue is that parents are taking their kids out of the country but the funny thing is- I have never needed the letter of consent to fly to Europe but once in Europe you need the consent form to board the ship.