Alesund Norway

Friends of ours did the Bird Sanctuary at Runde Island via a private tour (Terry can you help here??)

We took the city bus to the outdoor Sunnmore Museum

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/norway/bergen-and-the-western-fjords/alesund/sights/museums-galleries/sunnmore-museum

(This was one of our favorite stops on the whole trip)

and then a Taxi to the Fjellstua Utsiktspunkt (its a hill top overlooking town with a café and great views). Then walked back to town (maybe a half mile) with some "stroll around" downtown time. There is a tour that's about $40pp that offers a HOHO with commentary to see the same sights and more; but the bus to Sunnmore was about $2pp and the taxi was $15 for the three of us.

Greg

If you're reasonably fit, you could walk up to the top of the hill overlooking the town. It's on easy (but steepish) paths. We've been to Alesund three times and done that walk every time. Unadventurous, us? ;)

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Friends of ours did the Bird Sanctuary at Runde Island via a private tour (Terry can you help here??) Greg

Rdwhite1999: Alesund Norway. We will be in Alesund on 9/5/14 from 7:00 a.m to 5:00 pm. and we are looking for a good way to spend the day. We are not interested in the Trollstigen road so does anyone have any suggestions?

Appreciate Greg's shout-out. YES! Guilty as charged. We did a trip down to Runde Island during our ship's visit to Alesund. Below are more details on Alesund' date=' etc., and some visuals. Plus, take look at my full live-blog for more information on other key ports such as Bergen, fjords, etc. [b']No extra charge!![/b] Going farther north above Arctic Circle?

Let us know any added questions.

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

More Alesund area info, tourism options at:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en

About 18 miles to the west is Runde, Norway’s southern most major bird rock with 240 species breeding there. It is a habitat for around one million seabirds, including 100,000 puffins. We had a rental car lined up for the four of us to journey south to this special island. The ship was offering a trip to here, but it got scrubbed as there was not enough signed up for this tour/trip. It was good (and lots cheaper) that we had made our own special arrangements in advance or we would have missed this unique island and coastal experience. It involved a five-mile ferry ride for us and the car, but that was a nice way to sample how that transportation system works. It was very timely and well run, efficient for how the cars and truck got on and off. It took 30 minutes for the trip. This ferry hold 120 cars and 350 passengers. The ferry coast $28 each way for the car and us.

It was great seeing more of the wide and beautiful variety of terrains in a way that you cannot appreciate if you are sailing by on a boat at a distance. Some of bridges were unique as we jumped island to island in order to reach Runde. Parts of Runde were so dramatic with the green grasses, rock faces, etc., that it reminded us of Ireland. Great beauty, plus lots of birds there.

As we drove back from Runde, did the ferry, etc., we wanted to do the Aksla hilltop that dramatically overlooks Alesund. Some from the ship did the 418 steps up Aksla hill in the center of town. We had our car and that made it much easier, plus you could see some of the housing where residents have great views over the town and area. Whether by walking or car, the view from there is super worth it. You get breath-taking views from this 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the town. It is called Kniven (the Knife) and has a refreshment place at the top. But, it is all about the views as some of the photos below illustrate.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 153,663 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

To the south of Alesund is Runde Island, famous for its birds and scenic views. This shows a house on this beautiful island with the mountains on other nearby islands.:

RundeIsHouseMountains.jpg

Runde Island has a very small population, except for the thousands of birds. Here is one of the small farm there with a wall of rock behind it.:

RundeIsFarmRockWall.jpg

Here’s another view from Runde Island, showing the unique bridge design allowing access to this island. It is a one-land bridge with a wide spot at its top to allow for passing cars.:

RundeIsBridge.jpg

On the way back from Runde Island, here are two other views. First, a coastal village with dramatic mountains in the background. Second, as we crossed the water on the ferry with snow-capped mountains in July in Norway.:

AlesundSouthCoastVillage.jpg

AlesundSouthWaterCrossingMtns.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

For some real info and pictures why dont you check out the tread in my signature.

Runde island in September are more likely to be a miserable experience. September is late in the season and its autumn which means high chance of rain and wind.

The bridge over to the bird island of Runde might close without notice if the wind picks up. I can assure you that Runde is not a place to be stuck at when you really want to be in Ålesund.

You do not need to travel to the Path of the Trolls. If you want to venture out you can visit Hjorundfjord and the Norangsdal. All very easy to reach by car from Ålesund.

Also the surrounding islands of Giske/Godoya/Alnes are worth a visit.

The vistas and nature at Alnes is very rugged, remote and can resemble Iceland/Færoy islands. Its stunning!!

If you want more help to plan your day in Ålesund let me know. I did not just visit the town once - I live here so can answer your questions if you wish.:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Here is a link to another thread with lots of excellent information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781806

This picture is taken in Geiranger in September:

2012-09-29154913_zps9a2a8264.jpg

Ålesund in September:

norway5_zps9085f7fe.jpg

2012-09-30112221_zps9fc7e23e.jpg

A few minutes after I took the pictures above the clouds moved in and it all became the usual Ålesund weather.

023_zps5a3de64f.jpg

Edited by I-Cruiser

• 3 weeks later...
For some real info and pictures why dont you check out the tread in my signature.

If you want more help to plan your day in Ålesund let me know. I did not just visit the town once - I live here so can answer your questions if you Awish.:)

I-Cruiser,

I have been trying to rent a 6 passenger vehicle for our day in Alesund, but so far no luck. I have tried Europcar, Avis, Budget. Do you have any other suggestions? Any other car rentals in town? We were planing on driving to Runde. I want to see Puffins!! Our other option would be to try and find a tour/guide that would be able to take all 6 of us. Any ideas?

If we can't manage either, we will climb Aksla Hill and wander around your town!!

And thanks for all you help and information.

Just a reminder that the steps going op Mt. Asla are closed for renovation. I am not sure when they will be open again.

A nice option might be the hop on/off bus that will bring you up the mountain also.

Thanks, we are not going till next July... just trying to get the car rentals squared away. We are also having trouble with a rental in Geiranger.

So anyone have any suggestions for 6 passenger car rentals for Geiranger and / or Alesund?

This one stumped us for a while but we ultimately found that 62 degree Nord has a RIB boat "wildlife sea safari" that was a blast. High speed, out on the water (wetsuits and goggles provided). Seals and the bird colony were the draw. The boat seated 10 or 12 I think.

We also walked the steps... not the most interesting of walks but a nice view from the top.

Just a reminder that the steps going op Mt. Asla are closed for renovation. I am not sure when they will be open again.

A nice option might be the hop on/off bus that will bring you up the mountain also.

The steps has been closed since August 18 and are set to reopen May 5 2015.

Thanks, we are not going till next July... just trying to get the car rentals squared away. We are also having trouble with a rental in Geiranger.

So anyone have any suggestions for 6 passenger car rentals for Geiranger and / or Alesund?

Avis, Budget, Hertz, Sydsiden....There are lots of car rentals in Ålesund. Avis and Budget are closest to the port.

As per now Geiranger has no car rental office. However, you can rent cars via the tourist information. The rentals usually has to come from Ålesund making the rental a bit more costly. Of course this can change until next year.

I-Cruiser,

I have been trying to rent a 6 passenger vehicle for our day in Alesund, but so far no luck. I have tried Europcar, Avis, Budget. Do you have any other suggestions? Any other car rentals in town? We were planing on driving to Runde. I want to see Puffins!! Our other option would be to try and find a tour/guide that would be able to take all 6 of us. Any ideas?

If we can't manage either, we will climb Aksla Hill and wander around your town!!

And thanks for all you help and information.

I just saw your question. I know for a fact they all have cars holding 6 persons. I have rented a few of those cars myself.

You could try this website (its to Sydsiden car rental) The site is in Norwegian only but the contact form is pretty standard.

http://www.sydsidenbilutleie.no/site/index.php/kontakt-oss

There is Hertz but its located 10 minutes outside town. They will probably deliver the car to the pier.

As for guides you could try these:

http://www.moereguide.com/

http://www.norwegianguideservice.no/our_services/

http://www.noreon.no/

Hope this helps:)

• 2 weeks later...
I just saw your question. I know for a fact they all have cars holding 6 persons. I have rented a few of those cars myself.

You could try this website (its to Sydsiden car rental) The site is in Norwegian only but the contact form is pretty standard.

http://www.sydsidenbilutleie.no/site/index.php/kontakt-oss

There is Hertz but its located 10 minutes outside town. They will probably deliver the car to the pier.

As for guides you could try these:

http://www.moereguide.com/

http://www.norwegianguideservice.no/our_services/

http://www.noreon.no/

Hope this helps:)

thanks I-cruiser, working on all your suggestions today!! I'll let you know what I find