Old Stave Churches - Possible on a cruise?

Hi everyone,

I have one more question for all of you. Is it possible to see an Old Stave Church at any of the ports on a Norway Cruise?

Thanks,

Jennifer

(I realize that I could have asked both questions in the same thread but I thought separating them would make them a resource in the future.)

Thank you, OP, for starting this thread. I've been researching the same question. This map seems pretty helpful for figuring out which Stave Churches you might be near: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214375681073769475493.0004cb39415918e340205&msa=0&dg=feature However, I'm not sure how comprehensive it is. It doesn't include Fantoft, near Bergen, which I believe is a recent reconstruction after a fire.

There is one at the Folk Museum in Oslo. The entire museum is delightful and well recommended. There's also one at the Folk Museum in Trondheim and Fantoft near Bergen.

We will not be going to several of the places mentioned in this thread (Oslo, Flam, Olden, Skjolden, Sonjefjord...). It looks like Trondheim or Bergen will be our best opportunity to visit a Stave Church. Of the two, do you have a recommendation? Rødven, near Molde, might also be a possibility for us.

Thank you, OP, for starting this thread. I've been researching the same question. This map seems pretty helpful for figuring out which Stave Churches you might be near: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214375681073769475493.0004cb39415918e340205&msa=0&dg=feature However, I'm not sure how comprehensive it is. It doesn't include Fantoft, near Bergen, which I believe is a recent reconstruction after a fire.

We will not be going to several of the places mentioned in this thread (Oslo, Flam, Olden, Skjolden, Sonjefjord...). It looks like Trondheim or Bergen will be our best opportunity to visit a Stave Church. Of the two, do you have a recommendation? Rødven, near Molde, might also be a possibility for us.

While the Sverresborg Trøndelag open-air museum near Trondheim is a pleasant place to visit, I wouldn't go there just for the stavekirke. If you're considering it anyway, go by all means! But unless you're an architectural historian, the Haltdalen stave church probably won't be that exciting. Looking at my photos, I realize that among my photos from our port day, I don't even have any of the outside (just a few interior detail shots)!

Here's what it looks like (care of Google image search):

Haltdalen-stavkirke-Trondheim_large2.jpg

However, if you've never been to Bergen, I'm not sure I would sacrifice my time there for a long trip (~3 hours each way) in to one of the stave churches. Bergen is a pretty nice port call on its own, and there's plenty to see in and just outside the city.

The one around Molde are somewhat similar, but none of them have the intricate and dramatic detail of the more famous ones like Borgund and Heddal (or the Gol stavkirke in the Oslo Folk Museum).

Here is a picture of the Gol Stave Church in Oslo that Morgans mentioned.

IMG_6086-002_zpsf8edfae0.jpg

From the story here , is was built in 1200 and later moved by the king to Oslo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gol_Stave_Church

It was very dark inside (no windows) and required a flash to see the inside.

IMG_6129-001_zps469bb20a.jpg

While the Sverresborg Trøndelag open-air museum near Trondheim is a pleasant place to visit, I wouldn't go there just for the stavekirke. If you're considering it anyway, go by all means! But unless you're an architectural historian, the Haltdalen stave church probably won't be that exciting. Looking at my photos, I realize that among my photos from our port day, I don't even have any of the outside (just a few interior detail shots)!

Here's what it looks like (care of Google image search):

However, if you've never been to Bergen, I'm not sure I would sacrifice my time there for a long trip (~3 hours each way) in to one of the stave churches. Bergen is a pretty nice port call on its own, and there's plenty to see in and just outside the city.

The one around Molde are somewhat similar, but none of them have the intricate and dramatic detail of the more famous ones like Borgund and Heddal (or the Gol stavkirke in the Oslo Folk Museum).

Thank you so much for your input! I had the same thought about Bergen...there seems to be more than enough to keep us busy right in the city. I'm not sure what we'll be doing in Trondheim, so I appreciate your thoughts on the open-air museum there. Thank you for finding that picture.