costa maya port

disneyfans4

what is there to do when you get off the ship in costa maya? we dont really want to go on an organised excursion would just like to have a wander round have a drink/meal and probably go for a swim if this is possible. it is about 10 years since we were here and i can remember there were a few shops and a swimming pool which was open to the public but i cant think if the beach was fit to swim on in that area or if you had to get a taxi elsewhere.

there is the pool and some shops right at the pier

or taxi or 'shuttle' to the beach nearby .... maybe 2 miles

on the beach, ship in background

100_0066.jpg

and I believe a 'water park' has recently opened ....

Water Park is open but very expensive, IMO. It's a few meters outside the cruise port.

There's a lot more shops in the cruise port, a pool and some loungers on a small "beach".

If you haven't been there in 10 years, then as Capt.BJ suggested, take the open air trolley or a taxi to the malecon in Mahahual. $3pp down $2pp back.

You can walk along the malecon and pick out any place you want. You'll note that several of the spots cruisers used to head for (Cat's Meow and Tapas for example) are no longer but there are many more place snow. See the map and pictures link in my signature.

If you do not want a beach day, then I suggest you contact Native Choice for an excursion to Maya ruins. They have a web site and have several tours easily doable for cruisers.

what is there to do when you get off the ship in costa maya? we dont really want to go on an organised excursion would just like to have a wander round have a drink/meal and probably go for a swim if this is possible. it is about 10 years since we were here and i can remember there were a few shops and a swimming pool which was open to the public but i cant think if the beach was fit to swim on in that area or if you had to get a taxi elsewhere.

There's plenty of shops here and yes, there's a pool that's free to use. I wouldn't suggest this be a place you want to eat at. The pricing is outrageous there! There's no beach right there at the port.

If you want a nice beach, you could pay $3 pp at catch the trolley over to the Malecon, which is about 8 minutes away and go to the beach there and get a good authentic meal. :) It's a cheap day while getting away from the cruise port. Check out my Blue Kay review in my signature. It has tons of pictures.

Went to the water park with family at beginning of April. Expensive but well worth it as had great day. Very relaxing by the pool, very few visitors so no queuing for zip lines or water slides so went on them all day long. If you are tired of beach, mayan ruins its a good alternative. Very clean and safe. We did official RC trip but the price was the same as entrance fee at park.

We just were there last week - we intended to take a taxi to the beach and just relax but we talked to a guy from a company that rents golf carts. There were 7 of us and it was more expensive than a taxi - $100 for four hours but divided up that wasn't bad :) We had a great day! As part of the deal you were told to look for "Jimmy with a red flag" and he directed us into the Maya Bar where we spent the day at the beach. We were able to drive around the fishing village and explore on our own which was neat ...

We just were there last week - we intended to take a taxi to the beach and just relax but we talked to a guy from a company that rents golf carts. There were 7 of us and it was more expensive than a taxi - $100 for four hours but divided up that wasn't bad :) We had a great day! As part of the deal you were told to look for "Jimmy with a red flag" and he directed us into the Maya Bar where we spent the day at the beach. We were able to drive around the fishing village and explore on our own which was neat ...

Just wondering, because there has been a lot of talk about it on here in the past, you are not allowed to ride the golf carts up and down the actual malecon right? So if you were to want to go to the beach for awhile there, where do you put your golf cart?

• 1 month later...

We have sailed to most of the Caribbean ports and this is not one of our favorites. However we just got off Liberty of the Seas last week and at this port we took the tram to the beach area ($3) which is great. We had lunch at The Krazy Lobster and it was really good and a good price. Bucks of beer (7oz) were $1 each, which is the going rate at the beach. The fish tacos were great and we live in southern CA and know good tacos. The ride back has to be by cab ($2). The area around the port was standard for these stops but if you want to get away and go to a nice beach we would recommend this and would do it again if we are in this port.