Just curious

Cruisin' Ron VA

I get HAL's Mariner Magazine and Carnival Currents magazine.

As I was sitting enjoying the latest issues something occurred to me. I notice that most of the "models" are white heterosexual couples.

Does anyone think that the use of more people of color or same sex couples should be utilized in the magazines as well? We cruise too.

Just a thought and it is certainly not an indication of ill feelings toward any cruise line. Just a subject for friendly discussion.

Anyone like to chime in?

In the spirit of friendly discussion, I wouldn't mind seeing more diversity in the make-up of the families featured. While traveling, I'm always touched emotionally by the non-typical families that I pass in airports. Even jaded old single me has a soft side. Perhaps, showing a bit more diversity in travel ads could be a subtle reminder to us all that, in 2009, families can be made up of a variety of individuals.

I found a black and asian couple in mariner magazine, though the couples skew younger than HAL's usual cruiser (they want to market to "long term" customers).

I doubt we'll see gay couples in these magazines unless they're in group settings where you can't figure out who's paired up with who (bring your own gaydar).

I highly doubt there will be much change, but it doesn't bother me at all. If the cruise line is looking to attract young, straight couples (and it is a huge market) then that's what they are going to put in the pictures. A lot of people may react badly to a gay couple in a brochure. I know it's something I don't need to see to help me decide on a cruise!

I highly doubt there will be much change, but it doesn't bother me at all. If the cruise line is looking to attract young, straight couples (and it is a huge market) then that's what they are going to put in the pictures. A lot of people may react badly to a gay couple in a brochure. I know it's something I don't need to see to help me decide on a cruise!

I don't "need" to see it either. I guess heterosexual couples don't "need" to see it as well.

Even car companies, airlines and Campbell soup try to be inclusive of everyone.

I will continue to cruise of course but I thought it would be nice to see the major lines broaden their horizons in advertising. :)

It is all part of Madison Avenue marketing. Put beautiful young vibrant people in the ad. Youth sells. However I saw an ad recently that showed a hetro family of four (mother, dad, son and daughter of course) with swim wear on near the ocean. The interesting part was that the four were not the usual Adonis types but more normal looking meaning somewhat out of shape physically.

As others use more normal models in their ads that are of various races and physical attributes and find success, the cruise lines will adopt it. The travel industry knows that glbt people represent a profitable segment of the population. I look for more ads directed at us in the future in spite of what the far right wing blowhards say. I am all for it.

It is all part of Madison Avenue marketing. Put beautiful young vibrant people in the ad. Youth sells.

What I find interesting about cruise promotions is that they appear to be marketing to retirees but use deceptively young models to do so. They often photograph relatively young women with long, straight, silver hair in their ads, paired with older male models. It's fascinating because older people are so rarely seen in advertising and this, I suppose, is how marketers believe that they idealize themselves.

What I find interesting about cruise promotions is that they appear to be marketing to retirees but use deceptively young models to do so. They often photograph relatively young women with long, straight, silver hair in their ads, paired with older male models. It's fascinating because older people are so rarely seen in advertising and this, I suppose, is how marketers believe that they idealize themselves.

I noticed the same thing!

I figured either it was a make up job or a lot of those older models were having a lot of plastic surgery done! LOL.

Aw, heck!

I'm all for them using cheaper, more 'normal shaped' models, or even no pictures at all if it gets me on the ship cheaper! LOL.

Actually, I remember when I first got my Winter 2009 Mariner magazine I thought "How nice to see an African American couple pictured on the ship". In this case AFT stands for About Friggin Time... :p

Of course, for some reason (I can't imagine what it is now), I kept turning back to the page with the RCMP & his horse... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I understand that the advertising and marketing gurus follow the biggest block of potential customers, and I can live with that. It's just good business.

What I would like to see is the cruise lines spend a few more dollars in gay publications. I know they also hire writers to "ghost" write articles about cruising, and then get them published. Again, I'd like to see them do that with gay travelers in gay publications.

Don't think we need have a chip on our shoulder about it... but mentioning it from time to time may get more attention directed our way.

Archived