Newbie - just introducing myself!

teecee46

Hello everybody! We have just booked our first ever cruise - 7 nights Mediterranean in September - already excited but also nervous as I get sick just looking at a pond! Please tell me that I'll be okay on a cruise and won't spend the entire time in bed with a bucket! :(

You'll have a great time! If you suffer motion sickness on land (in cars or such), start taking a preventative (Bonine, dramamine, etc...) the day prior to the cruise. Stopping seasickness before it starts is the best thing.... Otherwise, you'll most likely have no problems! Unless it's REALLY rough, you won't feel much motion.

Hello and welcome!

The oral Medications might work for others but they make me way to sleepy. I get a patch from the doctor that goes right behind my ear. It works like a charm. It is small and flesh colored so it blends in. It stays on for several days before a new one needs applied. I bring extras for the DH and kids just incase we have rough waters.

Which ship will you be sailing on? I get car sick pretty easily but have never had a problem on a ship. The bigger ships have stabilizers so the motion is very minimal. I do agree with the patch, I went sailing for 5 days with some friends and that little patch was a life saver! My friend who doesn't get sick and sails all the time was out of commission for 2 whole days when we hit some rougher waters and I was just fine...

If you are prone to sickness, certainly investigate the patch as it doesn't have the side effects like the oral meds.

Thanks to everyone for making me so welcome! We are sailing on the RCCI Liberty of the Seas - I would normally take Dramamine or something like that but, as others say, it makes me very sleepy too and I don't want to miss anything! I've gone to roll call and introduced myself there too but I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the playground. Chances are you will rarely realize you're on a ship at all. If you feel a bit queasy, look at the horizon, let the breeze wrap you in it's arms, breath the wonderful air and think about how nice it is to be away from it all! You'll do fine!

Thanks to everyone for making me so welcome! We are sailing on the RCCI Liberty of the Seas - I would normally take Dramamine or something like that but, as others say, it makes me very sleepy too and I don't want to miss anything! I've gone to roll call and introduced myself there too but I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!

I would speak with your Physician about other options. Something as simple as a ginger capsule might do the trick.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
I would speak with your Physician about other options. Something as simple as a ginger capsule might do the trick.

Keith

Thanks! I think I'll come armed with every motion sickness remedy known to humanity 'cos I don't want to miss a minute of this trip!:eek:

Archived