first time with Thomson ???

so after 15 years of all inc holidays in Egypt area, we have decided to give a cruise ago,

so if anyone could point me in the right direction ??

i have been looking but I seems a minefield if you unsure of what's best or worst

so narrowed it down to Thomson Celebration from Dubai for 13 days any advice from the cruise family, its a good price and don't want to spend an arm and leg in case we don't like being at sea

thanks

phil

Hi, firstly I have never cruised with Thomson before (but I am thinking of the cruise on the celebration from Aqada next year). But what I would say is that I am not sure I would choose the Celebration for my first cruise. It is a very small ship and the interia looks like almost a cross between a very old cruise ship/over night ferry and the inertia of a river ship.

If you have never cruised before it may be a good idea to to try a mid sized ship as it will be more stable and also will give a better idea of a cruising experience. We tried our first cruise in 2013,not sure if we would like it - that was 4 cruises ago- and now about to try Thomson Celebration.

Thomson only really has 1 mid sized (in fact small by todays new ship standard)- The Discovery (2017 they will also have Discovery 2) - these are old Royal Caribbean ships and along with being larger are much fancier than the rest of Thomson's older stock. For a first cruise I would definitely recommend one of those if doing Thomson or a different cruise line again going for a mid sized ship (avoid too small or too big on a first go)

Just my opinion others may suggest otherwise lol;)

Celebration is an ideal first time ship. Yes, she's getting on in years but everything is kept in good order and she has character. We have been on Celebration several times and have tried other cruise lines but we will always have affection for Celebration. The staff are so friendly and really make your holiday. The food is good and there are several options. The entertainment is very good, the shows are always well attended.

Also, we did Aqaba with Thomson some years ago and it was fabulous. Petra is a 'must do' - for us one of the best places we've visited. I'm sure you will love your cruise - it will be the start of many!

Agree with Dronnygirl. Celebration was our first ever cruise and loved it. The crew were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. Food was excellent, the waiters very attentive, entertainment first class. To me, it didn't feel like a small ship. It was only when we saw it next to one that looked more like a block of flats that it looked little.

I thought others may see it differently -lol . One big advantage of doing Thomson cruise at the moments that your bill will be in pounds. Most other cruise lines bill your on board account in $ (even in eu cruises) so with such a dismal exchange it can work out expensive. I would have a look at youtube to compare Celebration and Splendor of the seas (discovery 1) Legend of the seas (discovery 2). I have sailed their (step ) sister ship Rhapsody and she was lovely

Celebration was our first cruise and got us hooked. We went on the Red Sea cruise and visited Petra, which is indeed fabulous. Yes she is an older ship, but we still love her. We went on her last year and found that she had been renovated very well and certainly not like a ferry at all! I'm not sure people should make remarks like that if they have never been on her!

Last month we went on Discovery and really loved her too, so much so that we have just booked for next year on Discovery 2.

But of course Discovery will be in the Caribbean and I think the OP wants a cruise to Dubai, so I would say, yes go for the Celebration. I don't think you will be disappointed.

We did cruise and stay in Sharm for our first cruise, in case we didn't like cruising - ha ha - the rest, as they say is history ;)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

If you compare photos and video of the Celebration and of the ferry Cap Finistere you will see what I mean (even the same size). I know people who have been on both (and enjoyed both) and also a friends daughter who worked on both and it was she who drew the comparison for me.

As I said I plan to go on her soon and value for money wise it looks good. But I do think that a non cruiser/ first cruiser should look at all the youtube videos of the options I listed including the Finister to see what I mean before deciding if it fits for them. Better to do that now before booking. I am glad to find so many who like her on here as it make me look more forward to cruising her

Edited by fragilek

so after 15 years of all inc holidays in Egypt area, we have decided to give a cruise ago,

i have been looking but I seems a minefield if you unsure of what's best or worst

so narrowed it down to Thomson Celebration from Dubai for 13 days any advice from the cruise family, its a good price and don't want to spend an arm and leg in case we don't like being at sea

thanks

phil

Hi Phil, bearing in mind you don't want to spend an arm and leg, another thing to consider is that Thomson and P&O charge pub prices for their drinks whereas the American ships add on around 15% service charge and charge in $. They also charge quite high tips whereas Thomson include the tips. Taking into account the £ against the $, this could make a difference to the money spent onboard

thanks

phil

Have not been on Celebration but found Thomson Majesty very good. Will you will sailing around the Emirates from Dubai? If so you will have a great time. My son and family are based in Dubai so it is a regular holiday destination for me. Have done three cruises from Dubai already and son and family and I will be on MSC Fantasia on 17th Dec sailing to Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Khor Fahran and Sir Bali Yas Island. I really like MSC but have also sailed RCI, Princess, NCL and Thomson. I am sure that once you have tried a cruise there will be no going back - son and family did their first cruise from Dubai in 2015 with MSC and loved it. In fact we have already booked for 2018 on MSC's new ship Seaview from BRcelona!

Good luck with your plans.

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

P.S. Try to arrange time in Dubai prior to the cruise as there is SO much to see and do

Edited by suron
Additional information

thanks for the feed back people,

a couple of other questions if anyone can help with the answers

we have booked on Celebration on an inside cabin deck 3 or 4 any recommendations which to try for or avoid wife cannot walk too far so was looking around the lift area in the middle,

what's the formal night ?? is it extra, pay on the night ??

I notice some restaurants have a cover charge, what's this and what can I expect to pay,

the Asian was one of these but the Mrs don't like that ( so table for 1 the :) )

what happens about visas when visiting other ports/countries we are on the Red Sea cruise

booked the all inc option what are the bar hours etc and is it worth it it was a free upgrade and can you get beer or is it all lager drinks like a spot of bitter myself, do they do bottled water or water dispenser

is there a snack bar type thingy for lunch

thanks

in advance

phil

Thanks for your posts on here, I too will be a first time cruiser with Celebration end January/beg February (Arabian Nights), flying to Dubai, cruising Dhoa, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Khor Fakkran so finding these posts very interesting. Suron, your ports of call are very similar to ours, would love to hear your views on ports of call if you are cruising before end January.

Can anyone on here tell me anything about Cabin 0113 on Celebration? On the deck plans it appears to be under the 'bridge' (or part of the area assigned to the bridge), do you think it might be noisy 'up above' or will this be an OK cabin? It should be unobstructed, but clarification would be appreciated if any of you hardened cruisers know the answer :):)

Many thanks.

Julie

thanks for the feed back people,

a couple of other questions if anyone can help with the answers

we have booked on Celebration on an inside cabin deck 3 or 4 any recommendations which to try for or avoid wife cannot walk too far so was looking around the lift area in the middle,

what's the formal night ?? is it extra, pay on the night ??

I notice some restaurants have a cover charge, what's this and what can I expect to pay,

the Asian was one of these but the Mrs don't like that ( so table for 1 the :) )

what happens about visas when visiting other ports/countries we are on the Red Sea cruise

booked the all inc option what are the bar hours etc and is it worth it it was a free upgrade and can you get beer or is it all lager drinks like a spot of bitter myself, do they do bottled water or water dispenser

is there a snack bar type thingy for lunch

thanks

in advance

phil

Hi, I'll try to answer some of your questions!

I don't have a deck plan to hand but we like to be deck 4 just behind the reception area. Nice quiet room and near to MDR, lifts etc so very handy.

Formal night is where everybody gets dressed up and you can have photos taken with the captain. These are displayed in the photo area and you can choose to buy or not to buy. It's nice to be able to put on the gladrags and most people do, however if you prefer not to you can eat in the Lido rather than the MDR.

Restaurants with a cover charge are about £20 per head. Sorry can't comment as we have always enjoyed eating in the MDR so have not tried them.

Any visas will be provided by Thomson when you book a trip, you shouldn't have to do anything yourself

The bars are open from 10am until after midnight and you can drink almost anything you want from beer, lager, wine through to cocktails (although some branded drinks do have a small supplement). Wine with your meal - we have always found plenty of choice. Bottled water can be purchased but you can get glasses of water free in the Lido throughout the day. Orange juice is served with breakfast.

Lunch - you can eat in the dining room but we prefer to have a quick lunch in the Lido - there is also food served outside the Lido by the pool. They do lovely burgers'n'chips in the afternoon and cream teas. Don't worry, you won't go hungry, lol

Hope this helps:)

Thanks for your posts on here, I too will be a first time cruiser with Celebration end January/beg February (Arabian Nights), flying to Dubai, cruising Dhoa, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Khor Fakkran so finding these posts very interesting. Suron, your ports of call are very similar to ours, would love to hear your views on ports of call if you are cruising before end January.

Can anyone on here tell me anything about Cabin 0113 on Celebration? On the deck plans it appears to be under the 'bridge' (or part of the area assigned to the bridge), do you think it might be noisy 'up above' or will this be an OK cabin? It should be unobstructed, but clarification would be appreciated if any of you hardened cruisers know the answer :):)

Many thanks.

Julie

Hi have a look at post 'Food?Meals Celebration' on 25th October.

I think you will find 113 is under the Captains quarters not the bridge we have been in 114 and 115 because they are a lot bigger they do however have restricted view which I think is also true of 113:eek:

Some of the cabins on the lower decks have an L shaped bed configuration, that is the beds are not side by side, but at right angles. So if you want a double bed or twin beds, look at the plan and the key to the plan.

Sorry, that sounds muddly, hope you can understand it :rolleyes:

Stanphil unlike P & O you are flying with and cruising with Thomson and therefore you are usually fast tracked through the airport and onto a coach and depending on how far the airport is from the port is the only time you will have excepting of course 'kicking your heels' in the queue to get out of the airport to the coach. As you wont be in Europe I'm assuming your luggage will not need to be collected at the airport but delivered straight to the ship and should be outside your cabin within an hour of arriving at the ship. You should be given your cabin ticket to put on your luggage at your departure airport So hopefully you should be on board by 9am after you have your photo taken, receive your cruise card, and register your payment card at the port. I'm hoping this is so as I'm on Celebration 11th January 2017 Hope this helps

We were on Celebration as our first cruise with Thomsons "Red Sea Magic" and we've been back again, including her sister ship Spirit ,six times in total.

Absolutely no complaints of any substance - nothing wrong with so called small ships.

If you want to control your onboard spending, it's worth looking at the pre-paid drinks package - depending on when you book it can be a good buy.

Don't be mislead by Thomsons "free" drinks package offers for early bookings - they don't do free anything !!!

Edited by WeeCountyMan
grammar

thanks

just need to try and get through to Thomson to book my cabin looking forward to this now,

off to Hurghada next month for 2 weeks ( which we have done already this year ) but looking forward to the cruise more, new experience,

how do we go about different currencies in the different countries we visit ?

I suppose Thomson will have a favourable exchange rate :)