Don't book an aft-facing cabin on the Breakaway if you want to sleep before 1:00 a.m.

ibcnusoon

• 1 year later...

greatttt.. i wish i wouldve read this before i booked my aft balcony on 14th floor!! i will probably be at the parties up there so it wont bother me... but my son will be sleeping at that time...if it is too loud i guess he can sleep with my family in another room :mad:

hopefully they fixed it from 2013

Yeah, unfortunately, there ARE a lot of posts about this on CC. Every time a thread comes up, I add a post to post the warning.

DH and I were on the BA on deck 13 a year and a half ago, and we heard everything from spice H20. Didn't bother us - just slept later the next day, because the itinerary stunk anyway, we were just there for the ship. But given that experience, at Christmas, I booked us down on 9, when we traveled with our teens. I wish I hadn't, as the lower you go, the smaller the balconies are. The trade-off for the noise on 13 was the huge balcony. So another time (although after 3 cruises, I think I am done with the BA, I keep going on it because that NYC port is just so darned convenient, lol) I would definitely book higher up, put up with the noise, to have my huge balcony to enjoy the wake all day long.

There are so many variables to work around in cruising, and different for each ship. It's really important to prioritize your needs and then do research to get them met accordingly. But it's really difficult when you're new to a ship. We're about to go on our first HAL cruise and I know we'll have lots of surprises, some good some not. I'm really, really sympathetic about your elderly parents. It's always hard when travelling with parents/ kids - you kind of ruin your own vacation making sure they have a good time.

As to what NCL could/should have done... well... I'm not wading into that one.

Thanks for posting. We have booked an aft on deck 9….. does anyone know if the noise/vibration goes that far down?

I stayed in an aft on deck 9 and it wasn't nearly as bad as is described here, however the night of the white party we could hear it till late. However down on deck 9 you have another problem in the back, and that is shaking from the engines. While we enjoyed the view from our balcony we would not book an aft cabin again.

I don't think the problem extends to the aft corner suites. The problem lies in the midship aft-facing B1 cabins, directly under the booming big screen and massive speakers.

We were in 12304, aft corner suite, last September and didn't have any issues in the cabin with the door closed. If we were sitting on the balcony you could hear the bass from above, but you couldn't tell what the song was. ;)

Thanks for posting. We have booked an aft on deck 9….. does anyone know if the noise/vibration goes that far down?

We were on Deck 9 and it was fine. If on the balcony you could vaguely hear music, but not intrusive.

I stayed in an aft on deck 9 and it wasn't nearly as bad as is described here, however the night of the white party we could hear it till late. However down on deck 9 you have another problem in the back, and that is shaking from the engines. While we enjoyed the view from our balcony we would not book an aft cabin again.

We did not experience a vibration issue on 9 aft on Getaway. I offer this not to dispute your experience, but just to show that there can be different experiences. I think some people are more sensitive to vibration (this isn't a criticism!) and/or different trips have different levels of vibe.

This probably happens to many first time cruisers, including us many decades ago.

Is "under the band" some special place in H that they give to first timers?!:mad: Actually, that first time, we were *over* a band in a night-club area. Same problem, especially those drums...

This type of experience is truly an example of "one trial learning". One doesn't need to give it another try to see if it happens again!

Every time after that, I studied and studied the deck plans, including *especially* the deck immediately above and below. We try our best to get sandwiched between other cabins, above/below, and on the sides.

We are also aware of the "empty white space" (which could be across a hallway), which might have a service elevator and service carts rattling around at odd hours, or something else that affects peace/quiet/comfort.

If it's an outdoor band venue, then I'd probably worry about more than just one deck away. Even if the vibrations didn't carry (and maybe they do?), the sound could.

GeezerCouple

I absolutely agree. Our first cruise was on the Sky. After asking cabin location advice on CC, I went ahead and went against that advice and booked a cabin directly under the Great Outdoors. NEVER AGAIN! We were kept awake all night, every night with the sound of carts and chairs moving over our heads. it sounded like they were right in our cabin. Guest Services couldn't move us as the ship was full. After 4 sleepless nights and faced with booking another cruise, I turned to the deck plan website and made sure I strictly followed advice given. There hasn't been a problem since.

We were in Aft Facing Cabin 12308 on the Breakaway in May. We loved this cabin with the very big balcony and amazing views. We enjoyed sitting out there with a drink and listening to the music. Once we were inside, with the balcony doors closed, you really did not hear the music. You would have to be a very light sleeper to have any activity from the 16th Floor impacting your sleep. I guess to each their own, however, I would book this cabin again in a heartbeat. :D

We were in Aft Facing Cabin 12308 on the Breakaway in May. We loved this cabin with the very big balcony and amazing views. We enjoyed sitting out there with a drink and listening to the music. Once we were inside, with the balcony doors closed, you really did not hear the music. You would have to be a very light sleeper to have any activity from the 16th Floor impacting your sleep. I guess to each their own, however, I would book this cabin again in a heartbeat. :D

That's what I want to hear. :D

By the way, camz, what happened to the Phanatic avatar? Ashamed of the Fightins this year? hahaha...I know I am....29-62, yiiikes.

I'm confused about a comment that deck 9 aft balconies are small-on the Breakaway decks 9 and 12 have the largest balconies and never noticed vibration on our deck 9 central aft ?perhaps confusing with Epic where this is a frequently reported problem

We didn't have any issue from this deck with noise from Spice above but did from the crew party being held in the main dining room 2 decks below which went on till 2am-we complained and were told they would not use that venue again for parties

I'm confused about a comment that deck 9 aft balconies are small-on the Breakaway decks 9 and 12 have the largest balconies and never noticed vibration on our deck 9 central aft ?perhaps confusing with Epic where this is a frequently reported problem

We didn't have any issue from this deck with noise from Spice above but did from the crew party being held in the main dining room 2 decks below which went on till 2am-we complained and were told they would not use that venue again for parties

We definitely had vibration especially early in the morning when the ship would pull into port. If you're an early riser it probably wouldn't bother you as much. Also we had rough seas a few nights so that might have added to it.

That's what I want to hear. :D

By the way, camz, what happened to the Phanatic avatar? Ashamed of the Fightins this year? hahaha...I know I am....29-62, yiiikes.

Haha absolutely ashamed, indeed!! So I went with the photo in front of the Breakaway!! Thanks for remembering!! :D