Ship-sponsored or Independent Excursionsin Athens?

#eurovirgin

My husband and I are going on our first Mediterranean cruise the first week of April. I'm researching which cities we can safely plan our own excursions and which cities where it would be best to rely on ship sponsored excursions. So tell me about Athens...is it a good place to go independent? I'm not sure where to start.

edit.gif

In 2010 my husband and I travelled independently to Athens and also to some of the Greek Island by ferry. When we were walking up to the Acropolis entrance, we met a couple from one of the cruise ships who had paid USD100 each for the excursion, probably more now. The full entrance fee was about €14 each and the train trip from the port of Piraeus to the Acropolis was about €1 so if you are fit and able and it isn't too hot which it shouldn't be in April, doing it by yourself is definitely the cheaper way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by bally_gal

Athens is EASY to do DIY.

Will you be there just 1 day ? or will you be starting or ending your cruise there and thus be able to spend several days ?

If just the one day, you'll need to get from the port to Piraeus subway station (a bit too far to walk). There is a bus and there should be taxis. Bus is cheap, taxi should not be too expensive.

Taking the subway to the Acropolis is easy and cheap.

Be VERY mindful of pickpockets in Athens !

:)

Will you be there just 1 day ? or will you be starting or ending your cruise there and thus be able to spend several days ?

If just the one day, you'll need to get from the port to Piraeus subway station (a bit too far to walk). There is a bus and there should be taxis. Bus is cheap, taxi should not be too expensive.

I agree Athens is easy to DIY. But instead of using the metro (as mentioned in the quoted post above), there is now an easier way -- an express bus that stops by the port terminal and takes you directly into Athens. Easy peasy.

Official info here: http://www.oasa.gr/pdf/en/x80.pdf

One caveat -- for the past several years since its launch, the bus has only run during the tourist season -- i.e., not during the winter. Since you're going in April, it would be best to try to find confirmation that the bus is up and running. (I suggest posting on the Athens forum on Tripadvisor....)

Also, a taxi from Piraeus right to the entrance of the Acropolis is about 20-25 euro (per taxi, not per person); well worth it if your goal is to get there early and avoid the crowds.

There is also a hop on hop off bus that leaves from the cruise port. You take it to the Acropolis stop in Athens and then then transfer to another line to see the rest of the city. Then transfer back again to get back to the port. The cost is approximately 22 Euros for both lines.

There is also a hop on hop off bus that leaves from the cruise port. You take it to the Acropolis stop in Athens and then then transfer to another line to see the rest of the city. Then transfer back again to get back to the port. The cost is approximately 22 Euros for both lines.

Is that the sort of thing I need to get tickets in advance for or just kinda figure it out when we dock?

A fair question. As a long time cruiser and world traveler (over forty years) we do not even have a safety concern with cruise ship ports. Personally, we never, ever take a cruise line excursion unless they do something we cannot reasonably do on our own or with a private tour. As to Athens (been there about a dozen times) it is relatively easy to do this city on your own. There is decent public transit from Pireaus to Athens (the X80 bus or the Green Line Metro) or one can take the Hop On Hop Off bus, a taxi, etc. Once in Athens, assuming you have no mobility issues, you can get around by walking, using the Metro, or even a taxi.

The key to independent travel is quite simple...and we call it "homework." Know your options before you go on your cruise/trip...and make your choices based on the current situation (weather is always an issue for us). There are many times when we do not even make plans until we walk off the ship (yes, we are weird).

As to "where to start" we suggest looking at your ship's excursions to see where they go and what they do. Then look online (try Tripadvisor) to all the popular options/sites for the city...and see what gets your personal interest. Once you decide what you want to do. then you can do some research to determine whether its reasonable to do it on your own..verses a private tour or (horrors) an overpriced overcrowded cruise line excursion.

Once you have an idea what you want, feel free to post your wants, concerns, and questions here on CC. There are quite a few of us who will be happy to help and answer questions (with very specific details).

Hank

Just 1 day!

What are your suggestions for avoiding pickpockets?

Athens is a totally doable DIY port. For a one-day itinerary, go to Acropolis (plan for a few hours here, it’s magnificent), then walk (approx. 15-20 mins walk) to Plaka area (GREAT spot for lunch and souvenirs), then walk (about 20 mins) to Syntagma Square and see a changing of the guard ceremony (every hour on the hour). Then go back to the ship.

We used the HOHO (5 mins walk from ship terminal) and it was very good and comfortable and convenient. You can get tickets on site, but it’s a couple dollars cheaper if you reserve ahead of time on line.

There is more to do in Athens (which is why so many itineraries spend 2 days there), but for one day, this would be a good way to spend it. Enjoy!

Regarding pickpockets, just be careful and use common sense. No different in Athens than any other city in the world. Including any city in USA.

Agree that the hoho bus is an easy and good way to see Athens. You can buy your ticket right at the port and the bus also has a prerecorded audio take giving some sightseeing information. One caution, the stop by the Acropolis usually is busy so allow some additional time.

Edited by dabear

• 2 weeks later...
Athens is a totally doable DIY port. For a one-day itinerary, go to Acropolis (plan for a few hours here, it’s magnificent), then walk (approx. 15-20 mins walk) to Plaka area (GREAT spot for lunch and souvenirs), then walk (about 20 mins) to Syntagma Square and see a changing of the guard ceremony (every hour on the hour). Then go back to the ship.

We used the HOHO (5 mins walk from ship terminal) and it was very good and comfortable and convenient. You can get tickets on site, but it’s a couple dollars cheaper if you reserve ahead of time on line.

There is more to do in Athens (which is why so many itineraries spend 2 days there), but for one day, this would be a good way to spend it. Enjoy!

Regarding pickpockets, just be careful and use common sense. No different in Athens than any other city in the world. Including any city in USA.

Great advise about HOHO bus . Is it easy to find from port? Any signs?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all very much! I was on vacation for a couple weeks so didn't really get on to read all the responses until now. I did just get the RS guide that lots of people have recommended. I plan to start going through that today, and then I'll be able to ask more specific questions.

#eurovirgin I'm also a eurovirgin [emoji4] and not sure where to begin. I'm a new cruiser and really want to do a European cruise for 2018-2019 but we're on a budget so will be doing a lot on our own if possible. Would you mind sharing what you've found about the other ports on your itinerary? What is the RS guide and where could I find it? I just started my research and will keep reading these boards but would appreciate any info you are willing to share.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

#eurovirgin I'm also a eurovirgin [emoji4] and not sure where to begin. I'm a new cruiser and really want to do a European cruise for 2018-2019 but we're on a budget so will be doing a lot on our own if possible. Would you mind sharing what you've found about the other ports on your itinerary? What is the RS guide and where could I find it? I just started my research and will keep reading these boards but would appreciate any info you are willing to share.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The guide is the Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports book. I got it on Amazon. He has a lot of guidebooks, but I chose this one because it pertains to the locations we're seeing. I've been reading non-stop for several days. Right now I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with all the info. But I do recommend the guide to you.

The guide is the Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports book. I got it on Amazon. He has a lot of guidebooks, but I chose this one because it pertains to the locations we're seeing. I've been reading non-stop for several days. Right now I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with all the info. But I do recommend the guide to you.

Thanks!

Here's a update for the book if you haven't already seen it https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/guidebook-updates-med-cruise

And a cheat sheet you might find helpful. FYI: I haven't read any of it yet.

http://cdn4.ricksteves.com/Projects/cms/production/000/014/032/original/65af78ee78a1b4831a2444c5eaeaa6bb/class-handout-cruising-mediterranean.pdf

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean June 2016

• 3 weeks later...

Hi sorry to butt in. I was wondering if we were to make our own way to Acropolis from port, can we get the HOHO back? Or is it an all around journey only. Just thinking of getting a taxi there in the morning as we would be ahead of the crowds. Not sure if it would make a difference though. Thanks :D

Another option is a private or shared taxi tour. They are very affordable in Athens and you are whisked from site to site in an air conditioned Mercedes. We, and many here in CC have used PK Travel Greece. There is a thread you can search. Very reliable and easy to communicate with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi sorry to butt in. I was wondering if we were to make our own way to Acropolis from port, can we get the HOHO back? Or is it an all around journey only. Just thinking of getting a taxi there in the morning as we would be ahead of the crowds. Not sure if it would make a difference though. Thanks :D

If all you want is transportation, consider taking the X90 express bus back. It runs between central Athens (two stops, I think) and Piraeus, where it drops you at the pier. Very conveient. If you do a search on the bus number, there's quite a bit of info on this forum.

I can confirm it's worth it to take a taxi in the morning if your goal is to get a jump on the cruise tours. It gets horribly crowded later, but if you arrive at opening you can have a good hour before it gets bad. A regular taxi should run 20-25 euro, total, one-way from Piraeus to a drop-off near the Acropolis.