Engine Update?

JES4845

Just got home after a FABULOUS cruise, will do a review separately but it sure looked to Rick and I that both engines were working, though it's common they use just one at a time for shorter leisurely jaunts. Club Director Gareth also said fixed. That's all we know.

Been on numerous times and never have I seen them use only one engine for any itinerary, even one from Jost to Norman.

• 3 weeks later...
If they make the crossing on schedule, it will have to be on two operating engines. Not possible to cross on time at 8 knots.

SDI is scheduled to begin the crossing on April 26 -- just 10 days from now. I would think that management would have informed passengers by now if there was still an engine issue that would impact this voyage.

SDI is scheduled to begin the crossing on April 26 -- just 10 days from now. I would think that management would have informed passengers by now if there was still an engine issue that would impact this voyage.

You would hope so. I have to think it has been repaired.

For those on the upcoming crossing to London, Marine Traffic at San Juan, PR shows SDI speed on the way inbound from Jost vanDyke to have been in the 12 to 13 knot range. This would indicate two operating engines.

For those on the upcoming crossing to London, Marine Traffic at San Juan, PR shows SDI speed on the way inbound from Jost vanDyke to have been in the 12 to 13 knot range. This would indicate two operating engines.

Good to know.. thanks! Beginning to pack today. Leaving Thursday for San Juan.

SD I will be docked in Bremerhaven (GER) before departing Hamburg on 31st of May. Has this something to do with the engine or was this docking period further scheduled?

So ho hum notices a milestone is about to be reached and wanders over to this thread to help it on its way and offer a humble opinion of what this has taught us about Sea Dream management/owner.

This and another popular thread, which too will see another milestone reached: no doubt will be announced by GoRRRdon. Shame we dont hear from him as often as we used to (nudge, nudge).

Landman "spilled the beans" the other day on the "......idle jottings" thread when he talked about engine parts being taken onboard in Phuket (Thailand) for Sea Dream II.

Well there have been a few odd things going on with the engines whilst travelling.

And then the Captain announced (in a by the way fashion along with a number of other points of general information) that we had indeed been travelling for a short part of one morning on one engine.

Passengers had not been at all concerned but ho hum being somewhat more attuned to this particular subject had picked up a lot of very useful information.

It appears that piston linings had been replaced to two cylinders requiring a 16 hour shut down to undertake the work.

Remember ho hum had earlier advised you of the two Indian engineers (outside of Sea Dream's direct personnel) whom he encountered by chance in the piracy drill in the crew deck (yes, ho hum's a proper Miss Marple).

So how was this information discovered ? Maybe

Clandestine meetings with disguised Sea Dream staff informants in the golf simulator at 2.00am ?

Coded exchanges at the buffet bar "the ducks fly south for winter" !

Direct info prefaced by "I will say this only once, I dont have much time, I think I may be being tailed"

Maybe messages found wrapped in plastic at the bottom of the Tom Yung soup ?

No, none of these.

Simply by passengers asking senior crew whilst in general conversation.

NOT by marauding mobs of angry passengers pinning a senior crew to the wall and threateningly asking "tell us what you know about crankshafts ! All of it, mind !"

How remarkable !

Quite open and direct.

In fact direct enough to enable a better understanding of the dilemmas which Sea Dream face.

Surprisingly, All quite adult really.

Creating no cause for concern in the slightest and certainly no furore and suspicion.

Et voila ! Happy, informed passengers.

So: Sea Dream shoreside management please re-consider and COMMUNICATE (not "shouting" just emphasising. OK, "voice" a tad raised)

Happy 6,000 "Engine update".

So ho hum notices a milestone is about to be reached and wanders over to this thread to help it on its way and offer a humble opinion of what this has taught us about Sea Dream management/owner.

This and another popular thread, which too will see another milestone reached: no doubt will be announced by GoRRRdon. Shame we dont hear from him as often as we used to (nudge, nudge).

Landman "spilled the beans" the other day on the "......idle jottings" thread when he talked about engine parts being taken onboard in Phuket (Thailand) for Sea Dream II.

Well there have been a few odd things going on with the engines whilst travelling.

And then the Captain announced (in a by the way fashion along with a number of other points of general information) that we had indeed been travelling for a short part of one morning on one engine.

Passengers had not been at all concerned but ho hum being somewhat more attuned to this particular subject had picked up a lot of very useful information.

It appears that piston linings had been replaced to two cylinders requiring a 16 hour shut down to undertake the work.

Remember ho hum had earlier advised you of the two Indian engineers (outside of Sea Dream's direct personnel) whom he encountered by chance in the piracy drill in the crew deck (yes, ho hum's a proper Miss Marple).

So how was this information discovered ? Maybe

Clandestine meetings with disguised Sea Dream staff informants in the golf simulator at 2.00am ?

Coded exchanges at the buffet bar "the ducks fly south for winter" !

Direct info prefaced by "I will say this only once, I dont have much time, I think I may be being tailed"

Maybe messages found wrapped in plastic at the bottom of the Tom Yung soup ?

No, none of these.

Simply by passengers asking senior crew whilst in general conversation.

NOT by marauding mobs of angry passengers pinning a senior crew to the wall and threateningly asking "tell us what you know about crankshafts ! All of it, mind !"

How remarkable !

Quite open and direct.

In fact direct enough to enable a better understanding of the dilemmas which Sea Dream face.

Surprisingly, All quite adult really.

Creating no cause for concern in the slightest and certainly no furore and suspicion.

Et voila ! Happy, informed passengers.

So: Sea Dream shoreside management please re-consider and COMMUNICATE (not "shouting" just emphasising. OK, "voice" a tad raised)

Happy 6,000 "Engine update".

Quite entertaining and informative. And old ho-hum is very wise indeed with his advice to SD management.

I may have been with you on this SD cruise rather than the same itinerary I booked with Seabourn if management had just been honest and open. Yes, they could certainly learn a lot from their fabulous crew who treat passengers like adults.

Interesting about the engine Ho-Hum. Cylinder liners (sleeves to some) are a relatively straightforward maintenance item as opposed to the very major crankshaft replacement on SDI. One reason it takes so long (besides being large heavy parts being manipulated in cramped, hot spaces on a moving platform) is that the engines are huge lumps of very hot steel when operating and it takes a number of hours to cool down to working temp. The two ships have 4 of the same engines all of which have the same crankshaft as the one that failed. Remember, these engines have been in near continual operation for three decades. One year less for SD II. Just as in any vehicle with an engine, repair/maintenance/replacement costs go up as the years pile on. Sort of like us.:eek::D