Engine Update?

JES4845

• 3 weeks later...

I have pasted below a travel alert that recently appeared on the Azamara Club Cruises website in reference to a damaged propeller on the Journey. It is a good example of how a cruise line should communicate with its customers about issues affecting their ships. Maybe SeaDream will take note and improve its communication.

Travel Alerts

Azamara Journey’s propeller damaged in Japan

Good morning everyone,

We wanted to let you know about an incident affecting the Azamara Journey that will require the current voyage to end early.

As the Azamara Journey approached Tokyo, we noticed an unusual vibration. Further inspection revealed damage to the propeller. We are now traveling at a reduced speed to Osaka (Kyoto), and will arrive on Friday. Due to the required repairs, we regrettably must end the voyage in Osaka (Kyoto).

Our President and CEO, Larry Pimentel, and Bert Van Middendorp, VP of Operations, are both flying to Osaka (Kyoto) tonight to meet with the ship and the guests.

The Azamara Journey will remain in Osaka (Kyoto) on February 28 and March 1, and will have debarkation for guests on March 2. We will then provide guests with air to Shanghai where debarkation was originally scheduled on March 3. We will also provide hotel accommodations until they are able to pick up their original schedule, whether that is a stay in Shanghai or a flight home.

Guests are receiving refunds for the days of the voyage they will be missing, as well as a Future Cruise Credit certificate for 25% of the value of their current voyage. It is possible that the upcoming voyage out of Shanghai on March 3 will be affected. As we are currently working on the repair situation, we will provide an update within 48 hours, and all guests - or their travel agents - on those voyages will be contacted directly with more information.

It makes me miss Larry Pimentel. Yes, that is full communication and correct compensation, as far as I can determine. As far as we know with SeaDream, they have been sailing with one engine down for three months now.

Edited by Jim Avery

I think the situations are a bit different -- the Journey has to end its cruise -- move passengers to the original disembarkation site and there is a risk the next cruise will be delayed/cancelled. None of that happened on SD. Two of the cruises had missed ports, but there were no cancellations of cruises. On the second cruise, all guests were notified in advance of the change in itinerary -- weather caused the other missed ports, as I recall. And the two cruises impacted the most did have compensation offered.

Somehow, I had the understanding that there was some down time before the crossing and repairs would be finished then, if needs be. It certainly doesn't seem to be causing a problem at present and I don't know why we would expect updates if we're not on board. . . . . .

Vandrefalk

I think the situations are a bit different -- the Journey has to end its cruise -- move passengers to the original disembarkation site and there is a risk the next cruise will be delayed/cancelled. None of that happened on SD. Two of the cruises had missed ports, but there were no cancellations of cruises. On the second cruise, all guests were notified in advance of the change in itinerary -- weather caused the other missed ports, as I recall. And the two cruises impacted the most did have compensation offered.

Somehow, I had the understanding that there was some down time before the crossing and repairs would be finished then, if needs be. It certainly doesn't seem to be causing a problem at present and I don't know why we would expect updates if we're not on board. . . . . .

Vandrefalk

Hi Karen.

Not trying to start trouble with you and certainly not trying to say anything bad about the wonderful crew on board SD I. They have no control over issues. Their choice is do their job as told or look elsewhere. Now, this is my view of what has gone on for over three months now. That in itself is a ridiculous amount of time for repairing an engine. Yes, it has been over three months since the "incident" and I, for one, am amazed that the classification society SD sails under has allowed continued carriage of passengers with one engine destroyed. Passenger ships for the most part have more than one engine for safety redundancy as well as some performance gains. Yes, there is a difference with the Azamara example. They had a propeller problem. Not a badly damaged main engine, a propeller. They immediately took the steps to terminate passenger carriage until the problem is fixed. SeaDream on the other hand has continued to carry passengers with a certain amount of increased risk. After all, modern passenger airliners can safely fly on one engine. Would you willingly start a trip on one? Many of the passengers on SD I the past few months are blissfully unaware that there is an engine down. A certain amount, if given the information and options, would probably not feel comfortable on a ship in that condition. Who knows? They are not being given the information. Even Carnival immediately takes ships out of service when problems occur. As I said before, I am truly amazed that the Classification Society responsible for inspecting SD I has allowed it to continue to sail with passengers. Additionally, if SD I is insured to industry standards, total failure of a main engine is normally a covered event. Usually covering loss of revenue as well. So, why is SD continuing to operate as if nothing is wrong? Anybody's guess at this point. Is it possible to take insurance money and not do the repairs promptly? Not sure. I do know that this should have been repaired long ago. Just an ignorant savage's opinion.:D

Jim, I agree with your analysis and opinion.

In addition, it's not just a concern for those currently cruising on SD1. People contemplating a future cruise on SD1 deserve to know what they are getting into before booking.

The bottom line is that SD management is putting their own self interest ahead of present and future passengers.

Jim, you've probably forgotten more about marine operations than I will ever know :) But I can't believe SD would compromise safety issues, that's all.

Vandrefalk

I don't know about that. I seem to forget more all the time.:eek::D But back on topic. I know you have good friends in the crew on board, like family at times and again I am in no way criticizing the great crews. But a dual engine, single rudder ship with one engine disabled inherently handles less than a dual engine single rudder ship with both engines available for maneuvering. Does that make the ship with one engine down less safe? To a certain degree I feel it does. The Caribbean is full of islands and shoals with sometimes narrow channels between. If anything at all happens to the one operable engine, there is no reserve and the ship becomes helpless. As I said before, the way SD management is handling the issue is completely at odds with the way all other passenger ship events I have heard of over the years have been handled. Think about all the passenger ship problems over the years. Can you name one that did not take the ship out of service till the problem was fixed? Could Princess have maintained schedule after the fire on several balconies? Yes, they could have cancelled a few rooms, put workers and supplies on board and continued on their way but they did not. Yes, I sailed on SD I in Costa Rica with one engine down. I had absolutely no information from SD but heard of the issue happening right here on Cruise Critic. I called SD and was told that it was a "minor issue" and was being worked on and should be fixed "any time". It was only a short time before our departure (and when EVERYTHING was non refundable) that I learned, again here on Cruise Critic that it was definitely the crankshaft. I then realized it would not be fixed quickly. At no time was I offered the opportunity to cancel and have my costs reimbursed. No info from SD at all other than my call. Would I have cancelled? I don't honestly know. But we never had the option. Cash flow seems to be the most important factor in this long running drama. Can you run a dual engine ship on one engine? Obviously yes. SHOULD you do it with passengers on board? Again, imho no. I certainly hope nothing happens that could be blamed on the lack of one engine as there are probably lots of admiralty attorneys watching and waiting. Quite a risk imho.

Just a thought out loud !! :rolleyes: Does anyone 100 % know for sure SeadDream I is only running on 1 engine?

Haven't seen anyone for sure make a claim 1 way or another. from last few that have been on SeaDream I they seem to think all is well.

As far as SeaDream responsibilty to its customers is, I'm sure they base all there decisions on worst case scenario's.

They wouldn't want to have 100 customers stuck in the Carribean, (well I could find worst places to be stuck )

I'm counting down the days until March 20th. Barbados to Barbados 9 day

Suffering here in Michigan on Global Warming;)/Global Vortex, guess i should call Al Gore:o

Well I'll report back to everyone on SeaDream , I'll do this before making stop at TOY Bar or Piano bar.

I'll be sure to pack a paddle in case we get stuck:)

Rick and Sal here, We are getting to Barbados on the 18th late night. 19th day of relaxation and 20th off to cruise on the SD. Staying at the Hilton.

Yes this winter has been really nasty, can't remember one this brutal.

We were thinking when we booked late March that it was going to be real nice here. But we'll still have piles of snow. We have had over 100"" of snow here in South Central Mich.

Sure we will meet and have a few adult beverages, if you are so inclined to do:p

See you in 3 weeks

Just a thought out loud !! :rolleyes: Does anyone 100 % know for sure SeadDream I is only running on 1 engine?

Haven't seen anyone for sure make a claim 1 way or another. from last few that have been on SeaDream I they seem to think all is well.

As far as SeaDream responsibilty to its customers is, I'm sure they base all there decisions on worst case scenario's.

They wouldn't want to have 100 customers stuck in the Carribean, (well I could find worst places to be stuck )

Suffering here in Michigan on Global Warming;)/Global Vortex, guess i should call Al Gore:o

Well I'll report back to everyone on SeaDream , I'll do this before making stop at TOY Bar or Piano bar.

As of a couple of weeks ago, repairs were ongoing and SD I was still functioning on only one Engine. Since I haven't had friends on board recently I haven't heard whether the new crankshaft had been completely installed, tested, and certified and was fully operational . Right now it is no strain to make all the itineraries due to short distances. Could be an issue in Southern Caribbean if not operational but hopefully SD would advise passengers in advance. If you do a bit of checking, the SB triplets, old as they are, each have 4 engines, 2 the same size as the SD yachts plus 2 smaller engines (all public information). It's not a laughing matter to go dead in the water in a yacht the size of SD. By keeping a close eye on the weather and waves, the experienced and knowledgeable SD Captains can make sure the yacht is always close to shore in the Caribbean so no Carnival like disaster but it could be a rough day if the other engine failed. I would never knowingly set forth on a 7 day voyage with only one engine, but then I haven't been hang gliding or parasailing recently either:)

FT

Edited by frequent traveler

Vandrefalk

Extraordinary ! Now beyond farcical. Please stop.

Haha. We're on the same cruise as well. Born and raised in Detroit (Southfield) and have been living in NYC for 24 years. Staying at the Hilton as well -- arriving on the 19th.

FWIW. Spoke to Sea Dream on Friday (reservations) and inquired about the engine issue. The agent claimed it has been repaired.

-Jim

Not saying it is not but people have been told that by SeaDream before. Several times. I wish we could hear definitively from a passenger aboard.

FWIW. Spoke to Sea Dream on Friday (reservations) and inquired about the engine issue. The agent claimed it has been repaired.

-Jim

On our Dec 14-21 Costa Rica cruise we were told by a senior crew member that the engine problem was no longer an issue. Obviously, this was not accurate. I hope the agents are now telling the truth.

This lack of transparency by SD management is at the crux of this issue. In fact, they have provided little or no information on the issue to passengers on board or those booking future cruises beyond the two cruises that missed ports. And at times they have deliberately misled people.

In my view, this is not the right way to manage a luxury cruise line and build consumer confidence in the product.

We were on SD2 this past year (September 7 - September 17) -- engine went out as well. The communication was near pathetic.

But, still looking forward to March 20th........

We just got off SeaDream I in San Juan on Saturday.

The engine is still undergoing repair ... in fact one of the engineers was taken off on Wednesday after being electrocuted while working. Believe his condition is okay, but did not see him return.

Repairs are not at all impinging on the journey, as the distances needed to

travel in the Caribbean are small. Have no doubt all will be complete before

the ship travels across the Atlantic in April.

Meanwhile, Christophe, Innes, Manuel, Doremus, and Christain, to name a few

could not have provided for a more enjoyable cruise. For those traveling until

the crossing, not to worry!

P.S. Anthony, is a new piano player and boatman ... boy this guy can really

tickle the ivories for those who enjoy a late after dinner drink at the Piano Bar.

thanks for the update CC. Wow, electrocuted is serious business. Hope he recovers fully. Back to the engine. Once again, SeaDream reps have misled passengers who ask about the engine repair. That is just not acceptable. I do not understand the reasoning for all the obfuscation.

Please note that I did not mention what repairs the engine is undergoing i. e. crankshaft

etc., as I am not versed on the subject.

But yes, they are still working on something with crews that are not Sea Dream regulars.

Still, I would not worry for the moment as I believe they have or shortly will have it under control.

Please note that I did not mention what repairs the engine is undergoing i. e. crankshaft

etc., as I am not versed on the subject.

But yes, they are still working on something with crews that are not Sea Dream regulars.

Still, I would not worry for the moment as I believe they have or shortly will have it under control.

I hope they do get it under control soon. As for future worries, based on this situation, I do not have much confidence in SD management to communicate with past, present or future passengers in a truthful and timely fashion. So how will anyone know what SD may be hiding the next time they book a cruise?

Edited by commodoredave