New to Oceania

Marguerite-a-Ville

We're currently planning on booking our first Oceania cruise in February 2018, from Lima to Buenos Aires, on the Sirena.

I've only sailed on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Viking River Cruises previously, so I have a few questions.

Specialty restaurants: Is there a charge for these? I see the options listed, but don't see whether it's extra or not.

Concierge-level verandas: Is it worth the extra cost? I realize this is a very personal preference, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing any information that would help me justify the cost to my husband.

Wine: I read that we are allowed to bring three bottles onboard. Is that only upon embarkation? Or can I bring wine from a port stop? Also, is that three bottles per person, or per stateroom?

Evening attire: Do men wear a suit every night to dinner? Are there formal nights? If so, on a 21-day cruise, how many formal nights would there be?

Entertainment: Are there shows every night? The ship is so much smaller than I'm used to (other than the Viking river boat), so I'm just wondering about that.

Thanks in advance for your help!

We're currently planning on booking our first Oceania cruise in February 2018, from Lima to Buenos Aires, on the Sirena.

I've only sailed on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Viking River Cruises previously, so I have a few questions.

Specialty restaurants: Is there a charge for these? I see the options listed, but don't see whether it's extra or not.

No charge on the "R" ships, of which Sirena is one. On Marina/Riviera there is Privee where 8-10 can dine privately or La Reserve which is a wine pairing dinner. Those have a fee.

Concierge-level verandas: Is it worth the extra cost? I realize this is a very personal preference, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing any information that would help me justify the cost to my husband.

It is subjective. I am one who would rather have a higher level cabin (i.e. a suite) rather than a concierge veranda. However, if a hot breakfast served in the room is of value to you, it can be worth the extra cost. The room itself is the same as any other veranda. The perks with the concierge verandas are rather minimal (in my view).

Wine: I read that we are allowed to bring three bottles onboard. Is that only upon embarkation? Or can I bring wine from a port stop? Also, is that three bottles per person, or per stateroom?

Per person, I believe. And yes, you can get wine at a port stop. Also that 3 bottle limit is technically correct but unless you embarrass yourself, you really aren't limited to that amount. Many people have reported openly bringing on cases of wine with no problem. I myself have never brought on more than a few bottles. By the way, it's not just wine that you may bring on board. Just remember that wine drunk in a restaurant will have a $25 corkage fee imposed. Liquor should only be drunk in the room.

Evening attire: Do men wear a suit every night to dinner? Are there formal nights? If so, on a 21-day cruise, how many formal nights would there be?

No formal nights. No suits required. Some men wear sports jackets, some don't bother. It's not totally informal ... but definitely NOT formal. If you can define "country club casual", you will be okay. (I'm not sure that I can, and that is after 14 cruises on Oceania!) For further answers, do a search and you'll come up with many threads dealing with this issue.

Entertainment: Are there shows every night? The ship is so much smaller than I'm used to (other than the Viking river boat), so I'm just wondering about that.

They are but they aren't the strong suit of Oceania in general! It does depend on what you like. Don't expect a Broadway show.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hope I helped.

Mura

Agree with Mura above.

To add:

1 No

2 No (IMO)

3 You can bring on as much wine in any port as you can "handle" and remain civil :D

4 No & none

5 yes - there is some sort of entertainment every night but not a show per se; sometimes it may be a comedian, violinist/pianist, singer or a magician. Production shows are small but very good (again IMO)

I hope that you will enjoy your first O cruise as much as most of us here do.

Welcome, Isabella,

I can comment on the Conceige level cabins: On the larger ships, I feel like it worth the extra charge. We like ordering breakfast on certain port days. I enjoy the Conceige lounge, where you can stop by to get coffee, tea, sandwiches, pastries. I like to take a hot cup of tea back to my cabin at the end of the evening. There is also a big screen tv, newspapers and a Conceige person at certain times of the day to help you with your needs.

This is only on the larger ships. Conceige level on the smaller ships is basically the location of your cabin and being able to have breakfast delivered. There might be more, I am not sure, but it is nothing like the larger ships.

You mentioned Viking and their entertainment. We have done three VRC's and Oceania is a notch or two above theirs. If shipboard entertainment is a big part of your cruise enjoyment, you will probably be disappointed. However, we have been sailing O for about five years, and they are improving. We were on the Regetta a few months ago and they had actual singers and dancers, working for the cruise line, that put on several shows. There was also a Spanish guitar player, Magician, a guy who was on the Love Boat and sang Frank Sinatra-style. The cruise director usually does a show or two. There is always dancing at night.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!