Exciting news

munch1

I think Phil, excited of Harpenden and Uk tog have already done this tour and posted a review.

We, ourselves, have had two separate attempts to do this tour and do not think the price is out of line particularly if you compare it to say the front of line admission to universal studios, $179-199 or their VIP experience which starts from $329.

That's not to say it isn't a lot of money particularly as there are 4 of us, however the trip is basically a private tour with the executive Chef.

On our last cruise Fabio took his 8 guests out to a selection of markets to shop sharing all his knowledge. They returned to the ship for lunch. Fabio with the bar manager then went out with the guests for the afternoon wine and beer tasting.

In the evening he prepared what I believe was one of the best meals the couple we met had ever eaten on a cruise.

An error with our online booking meant the tour was full when we got to the ship and discovered the mistake. Just one of those things.

Hopefully more people will start posting actual experiences and this will help others decide whether the tours represent good value for money.

Whilst I love the idea, having looked at these for my voyage in May, I am gobsmacked at the prices. I'm a keen cook, love food, and enjoy wandering local markets, yet the price for a four hour tour in Livorno visiting a local market, choosing food for a shipboard dinner later that evening and visiting a brewery sampling 4 beers with focaccia is £270 each! [emoji32] Sorry, I'll pass!!

That tour in Dubai with Chef Monica and Executive Chef Robert (who happened to be on board) was worth every single penny and I'd book it again in a heartbeat. We spent the morning at various local markets sourcing fresh ingredients, the afternoon touring and the evening feasting on a stunning private dinner made from the morning's purchases. By far the best dinner of the cruise. Just ~10 people on the tour (by design), so a small, intimate group. Amazing day.

Edited by florisdekort

Mmmm , Floris thank you for your take on your experience, certainly a unique and special one. Was it a shore excursion though? If it was, it was a particularly long one or was I it a special invitation? So for £270 for four hours in Livorno quoted in post 21 I'd be interested to know roughly what you'd paid for that experience for a whole day. My point is, I know destination immersion is the 'in' topic but I'm wondering if it is affordable for the 'average' traveller and with the already increasing prices, and they ARE increasing Azamara might loose guests to a more 'completely inclusive' line. Azamara might also want to spend some time giving priority to and really addressing other reported issues ie booking shore with obc prior to sail date etc and other onboard guest reviewed problems. As we Aussies might say, putting your money where your mouth is[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by aussie travel bird

Mmmm , Floris thank you for your take on your experience, certainly a unique and special one. Was it a shore excursion though? If it was, it was a particularly long one or was I it a special invitation? So for £270 for four hours in Livorno quoted in post 21 I'd be interested to know roughly what you'd paid for that experience for a whole day. My point is, I know destination immersion is the 'in' topic but I'm wondering if it is affordable for the 'average' traveller and with the already increasing prices, and they ARE increasing Azamara might loose guests to a more 'completely inclusive' line. Azamara might also want to spend some time giving priority to and really addressing other reported issues ie booking shore with obc prior to sail date etc and other onboard guest reviewed problems. As we Aussies might say, putting your money where your mouth is[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it was a "regular" shore excursion, the same as the one discussed above. Azamara has been hosting excursions with the Chef in various ports recently. The day typically consists of shopping with the Chef on local markets in the morning, something on shore with the Sommelier in the afternoon (a winery visit, a wine tasting, etc.) and a fabulous dinner for the group on board in the evening, prepared by the Chef using the ingredients he/she bought during the morning. I did it in Dubai, and on my most recent cruise it was offered in Bali, but as it was a 7 am tour on New Year's Day I skipped it - I'm lazy [emoji3]

The ingredients and dinner are truly local... for example, in Dubai Chef Monica bought fresh camel milk and served a camel milk panna cotta for dessert. The groups are kept small; we were 10 or 12 I think. More people would make the dinner a less nice experience.

I thought it was worth $290 and would definitely do it again. Whether that's affordable or good value for money for "the average traveller" as you ask I don't know, but Azamara doesn't need the average traveler for this tour, it just needs 10 interested guests per cruise to make the concept work.

Cheers,

Floris

Edited by florisdekort

Bonnie,

I have been checking out this new programme and would normally be interested in the

10 night Classic Grand Prix and Med Voyage departing on 5th May 2018.

BUT, according to the itinerary the ship will be in Monte Carlo on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th May, 2018.

As far as I can ascertain, the Monaco Grand Prix is, so far, scheduled for Sunday 27th May, 2018 - two weeks later!

I was in Monte Carlo in 2015 for the 73rd Monaco Grand Prix, so in 2018 it will be the 76th Grand Prix.

What I have noticed is that the voyage is titled Classic Grand Prix, but further reference to the race is Monaco Grand Prix. Very confusing and misleading. The Classic Grand Prix is a race featuring historic cars and needs to be made clearer and is on 13th May, 2018.

Hopefully you will be able to contact the Land Discoveries team who will take a look and clarify the description of this excursion.

Thanks, Paul.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Paul, I've heard from our LD tour department that you are correct...there is an error with the voyage that is listed on the page.

The Grand Prix voyage is Quest May 24th (not May 5th) and we are selling tickets for the Grand Prix on May 28th.

The website will be corrected.

Thank you for catching this error and letting me know.

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie, thanks for getting back with an update.

Slightly relieved there was an error, otherwise it would have been embarrassing!

I will take another look at that voyage. A shame it's not until next year.

Paul.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just a reminder ~

Our president, Larry Pimentel, will be answering the questions that you submitted to our sub-forum "Ask Larry Pimentel: Destination Immersion! Stay Longer, Experience More" in about 20-minutes from now (3pm EST 1/31/17)

Here's a link to that sub-forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=1074

Hi Liz,

I always judge price based on satisfaction. What most guests don’t take in to consideration are all of the factors going in to the planning and execution of our shore excursions. Having ships deployed globally, it’s very different to what a local operator can do fairly easy. Safety comes first for us. Always. Then there is convenience – if anything happens while you’re out and about on our excursions, the ship will wait for you to come back. Should an incident happen, our teams will be ready to help, and there is insurance protection available. Be careful in booking companies you do not know.

Hi Liz,

I always judge price based on satisfaction. What most guests don’t take in to consideration are all of the factors going in to the planning and execution of our shore excursions. Having ships deployed globally, it’s very different to what a local operator can do fairly easy. Safety comes first for us. Always. Then there is convenience – if anything happens while you’re out and about on our excursions, the ship will wait for you to come back. Should an incident happen, our teams will be ready to help, and there is insurance protection available. Be careful in booking companies you do not know.

I think you have to take into consideration our currency drops against the US $. While $270 might have been reasonable 2 years ago you now add in 35% for Canadians and it very quickly becomes unreasonable whereas there hasn't been too much change between the Euro and Canadian dollar so going local is a much more affordable alternative.

I think you have to take into consideration our currency drops against the US $. While $270 might have been reasonable 2 years ago you now add in 35% for Canadians and it very quickly becomes unreasonable whereas there hasn't been too much change between the Euro and Canadian dollar so going local is a much more affordable alternative.

I agree. You can imagine what its like for us Brits!

I also want to be sure that all the "bugs" are out of the more expensive overnights before I embark on them at full price or that the new day or evening offerings are as they say they will be. Fingers well and truly burned last cruise especially in Bahrain on that one! Paying 100% of a premium price for something that is not right doesn't sit well for me.

I will be watching with interest.