Haleakalā to Launch Reservation System for Sunrise Viewing

Astro Flyer

Beginning on Feb. 1, 2017, visitors in personal or rental vehicles wishing to view sunrise at Haleakalā National Park will need to make sunrise viewing reservations ahead of time at recreation.gov.

Due to limited parking, visitors without a sunrise viewing reservation will have to wait until after 7 a.m. to enter the park.

For anyone who plans to experience an amazing Haleakalā summit sunrise these articles have additional information including how to make a reservation beginning 60 days before your visit.

http://mauinow.com/2016/11/28/sunrise-viewing-reservation-system-to-begin/

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/33811101/reservations-will-be-required-to-view-sunrise-from-haleakala

Thank you for posting this. I think it is a great idea. When popular spots become too crowded and some visitors are disrespectful it becomes necessary to put a simple rule in place. It is somewhat like getting the tickets to visit the Arizona Memorial at PH. I may have missed this in the first article you reference but I wonder how they will deal with tour companies. Thank you again for the info. Cherie

Thank you for posting this. I think it is a great idea. When popular spots become too crowded and some visitors are disrespectful it becomes necessary to put a simple rule in place. It is somewhat like getting the tickets to visit the Arizona Memorial at PH. I may have missed this in the first article you reference but I wonder how they will deal with tour companies. Thank you again for the info. Cherie

I have contacted our tour company and they have told me that they are not affected by this new rule as of now.

I have contacted our tour company and they have told me that they are not affected by this new rule as of now.

The Maui Now article said it's only for personal or rental cars which beginning tomorrow when the reservations site is operational there should be additional information to confirm that statement.

I thought the other thread that was started on this (and I guess now removed) has listed something from another source that said tour companies will eventually be limited to a certain number of busses/vans per company.

Perhaps this is what you were looking for (from The Maui News):

"Roni Gonsalves, Maui station manager for Polynesian Adventure Tours, fully supported the reservation system. Gonsalves said tour guides go over the park’s rules with its riders, 'whereas the rental cars have no clue.' The tour company is limited to two minibuses for each sunrise, a total capacity of 48 seats.

'These rental cars are parking on the lava fields and (people are) walking up to the silversword plants,' Gonsalves said. 'We’ve seen them on the rooftops of the visitors center. It’s very abusive. I’m all for the regulation of the entry.'

Changes are in store for commercial businesses as well. In 2018, the park will cut the number of permitted road-based vehicle tour companies from around 20 to just four."

Perhaps this is what you were looking for (from The Maui News):

"Roni Gonsalves, Maui station manager for Polynesian Adventure Tours, fully supported the reservation system. Gonsalves said tour guides go over the park’s rules with its riders, 'whereas the rental cars have no clue.' The tour company is limited to two minibuses for each sunrise, a total capacity of 48 seats.

'These rental cars are parking on the lava fields and (people are) walking up to the silversword plants,' Gonsalves said. 'We’ve seen them on the rooftops of the visitors center. It’s very abusive. I’m all for the regulation of the entry.'

Changes are in store for commercial businesses as well. In 2018, the park will cut the number of permitted road-based vehicle tour companies from around 20 to just four."

That was it.

I'm sure that NONE of the people on the bus tours do any of that nasty behavior ;) Tourist are tourists, regardless of their mode of transportation up to the top. No one to blame but themselves...

Edited by slidergirl

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Haleakala National Park officials reported roughly a third of normal crowds gathered to watch sunrise at the dormant volcano’s summit on Wednesday, the first day of the park’s new reservation system for early-morning visitors".

http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2017/02/sunny-start-for-online-summit-reservation-system/

http://mauinow.com/2017/02/02/haleakala-np-reports-peaceful-sunrise-with-new-reservation-system/