How was your ATN flight?

Altamira

How was your recent ATN flight, Mommamd? We're doing the same LAX to PPT you did departing at 4:40pm, in two weeks, we're flying economy.

What day of the week did you fly and how crowded was your flight?

What level of pain from 1 to 10 would you use to describe the comfort level of the ATN flight experience?

Anybody please feel free to comment.

Almost time to pack and we're very excited. Only wishing we had a tele-porter.

Thanks!

Maria

Maria, I know you've been dreading this flight but just keep those sparkling beaches in mind! The reward will be worth it!

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but here are a few things we do to make our trip just a little better:

I have an inflatable travel pillow like this: https://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Luggage-Inflatable-Pillow-Pagoda/dp/B004PTLXTY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1468342890&sr=8-7&keywords=inflatable+travel+pillow

I like it because it takes up no space in your carry-on and you can inflate it to be however soft or firm you like.

I always take a large empty water bottle through security and then fill it at a water fountain before boarding the plane. That way I can stay hydrated even when cabin service is a bit slow. We also take a few favorite snacks. Usually something like nuts or trail mix, and of course some chocolate!

I also take a pashmina like this https://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Pashmina-Paisley-Colors-choose/dp/B00B6EAT6Y/ref=sr_1_23?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1468343122&sr=1-23&nodeID=7072324011&keywords=pashmina

It comes in handy as a wrap or light blanket if the plane is cold.

We often take a portable DVD player. I think our Tahiti flight will have seat-back movies? Maybe someone will confirm whether this is true. But on our 10.5 hour return flight from Rome last year, my seat back TV wasn't working, so the DVD player was nice to have. It's kind of a pain to have to carry it though.

Make sure you take a real page-turner kind of book that you've been dying to read.

I always get up once every couple of hours, do a couple of laps up and down the aisle and some deep knee bends and stretches in the bathroom/galley area. While in my seat, I often do circles with my ankles, and stepping motions up and down with my feet just to keep the blood flowing.

With all of this, and a couple of glasses of wine on board, it's really not so bad. Yes, I would rather not be crammed into those tiny seats for hours, but the reward is going to be so worth it! :)

Can't wait to meet you!

Becky

ATN is hit or miss. New interior in economy is passable (NOT food!), older plane is terrible. I don't remember if they have one or two left that weren't refurbished. They stopped when they announced new Boeing 787's for I think 2018. It's all worth it in the long run though considering where you end up.

Maria, I always compare the journey to having a baby. Very painful when you are in the middle of it but easily forgotten When you reach the end.

I really hate ATN but in order to get to Tahiti I have to suffer it.

OMG

What IS that twin?!

That is head cheese with a side salad that had a terrible dressing on it.

1/2 the plane lapped it up and the other half looked at it in disgust and didn't touch it. The Tahitians on board seemed to love it. Luckily I brought snacks on board.

So looking forward to meeting you Becky! Two weeks! Thank you very much for all the good advice and words of encouragement.

Thanks also, Twin and Emdee. Of course you are all right and I know it that it will totally be worth it.

(Not proud to be such a wuss about the ATN flight. I think of myself as pretty brave, generally . . well, except with spiders 😳.)

That picture of your in-flight meal, Twin, is worth a thousand words. Wow, the presentation alone, my goodness.

We'll bring lots of nuts and chocolates.

Maria

Is there a way to know in advance which kind of plane you will get? Or is it pretty random? Anybody know which planes (by name) were not refurbished?

I've found that the food going out from L.A. is decent, the food coming back from Tahiti is horrible.

(Fantasizing about screwing up our courage and flying Coach next year, shudder! Anyone know what the configuration of the new planes will be? Is there hope for a PE class?)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Is there a way to know in advance which kind of plane you will get? Or is it pretty random? Anybody know which planes (by name) were not refurbished?

I've found that the food going out from L.A. is decent, the food coming back from Tahiti is horrible.

(Fantasizing about screwing up our courage and flying Coach next year, shudder! Anyone know what the configuration of the new planes will be? Is there hope for a PE class?)

No way to know. My flight going to Tahiti last year was supposed to be a new one but they switched last minute for mechanical reasons.

If I fly coach I bring my own food. That being said I took food on Hawaiaan and the food was edible. I took food on United biz and really didn't need it! I always take my own food on ATN and on the return I eat before take off so I can just crash.

Am happy in Jan I will be flying from Auckland so the ATN portion will be small. Will take my own food.

Bora Bora is their plane that has not been refurbished. Copy and paste the flyertalk link and you can see tons of info. OJTN is how they also refer to the non refurbished plane.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1428434-air-tahiti-nui-tn-refurbished-cabins-2013-cip.html

Edited by FlightMedic555

I'm wondering why folk don't fly Air France? :confused: We had a good experience on AF last time we flew to Tahiti. AF were not my favourite airline of choice but after reading the reviews, I didn't fancy trying Air Tahitinui. We were pleasantly surprised by the AF flight, good food and friendly staff.

I'm wondering why folk don't fly Air France? :confused: We had a good experience on AF last time we flew to Tahiti. AF were not my favourite airline of choice but after reading the reviews, I didn't fancy trying Air Tahitinui. We were pleasantly surprised by the AF flight, good food and friendly staff.

They do! At least we do. Did their PE last visit in 2014, hope to do this again in 2017. You just have to choose your days carefully, since they don't fly every day.

Always a fun thread, the dreaded flight. Last year we took AF and it was fine. A newer 777-200 and our flight attendant even brought us French pastries from Business Class. Fresh mini baguettes heated and French butter and jams! Was a better experience than ATN as of late. However, with all trouble happening in France I might go ATN for our next trip.

Sometimes only being 5'7" has advantages

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

That is head cheese with a side salad that had a terrible dressing on it.

1/2 the plane lapped it up and the other half looked at it in disgust and didn't touch it. The Tahitians on board seemed to love it. Luckily I brought snacks on board.

Just got the same meal on my ATN flight from PPT to LAX. If you can believe it, it actually looked worse than the photo. Wasn't sure what it was (but luckily didn't touch it). My SiL said it was "pate" and ate the whole thing. Never seen pate look like that! Glad I brought snacks also.

Just got the same meal on my ATN flight from PPT to LAX. If you can believe it, it actually looked worse than the photo. Wasn't sure what it was (but luckily didn't touch it). My SiL said it was "pate" and ate the whole thing. Never seen pate look like that! Glad I brought snacks also.

That is amazing!

Does anyone know what they serve on the LAX to PPT flight? That one has good food right?

LAX airport has very nice food places after it was redone. Suggest you buy your own.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever ordered a special diet meal to avoid the dreaded head cheese on ATN (kosher, vegan, low cal, fish, etc.)?

Also, if I understand the hours correctly, AF leaves pretty early in the morning - 730ish, while ATN leaves much later - almost at midnight.

Hence, food and seat risks aside, it seems like you basically get a free whole day in PPT if you fly ATN. Am I reading that correctly?

If so, while I love AF/Delta, I'm warming to ATN as I (anyway) am willing to gain a day in PPT to suffer 10ish hours of first world problems.

Also, as I am probably spending some nights in Moorea post cruise, ATN means I won't have to leave there a day early as I would if I flew AF and wanted to be sure to make it without a heckish wakeup and a ferry gamble.

Has anyone ever ordered a special diet meal to avoid the dreaded head cheese on ATN (kosher, vegan, low cal, fish, etc.)?

Also, if I understand the hours correctly, AF leaves pretty early in the morning - 730ish, while ATN leaves much later - almost at midnight.

Hence, food and seat risks aside, it seems like you basically get a free whole day in PPT if you fly ATN. Am I reading that correctly?

If so, while I love AF/Delta, I'm warming to ATN as I (anyway) am willing to gain a day in PPT to suffer 10ish hours of first world problems.

Also, as I am probably spending some nights in Moorea post cruise, ATN means I won't have to leave there a day early as I would if I flew AF and wanted to be sure to make it without a heckish wakeup and a ferry gamble.

If you are returning from Moorea ATN is more convenient though you may have to kill part of the day depending on ferry timings.