Help requested for New Jersey

mapleleaf2012

It's our first time using this port so help is definitely needed!

I'm looking at staying at either the Country Inn & Suites or the Best Western. I hear they both provide a paid shuttle service to the port for cruisers. Any comment on either hotel?

As well, is it advisable to prearrange a car service from the port back to EWR? If so, is there a preferred company?

Thanks 😊

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

It's our first time using this port so help is definitely needed!

I'm looking at staying at either the Country Inn & Suites or the Best Western. I hear they both provide a paid shuttle service to the port for cruisers. Any comment on either hotel?

As well, is it advisable to prearrange a car service from the port back to EWR? If so, is there a preferred company?

Thanks

We used Metro Pro ( http://metropro.com/contact/)both going to the port and returning and were more than pleased. The drivers showed up at our hotel 30 minutes early and was waiting for us when the ship docked to take us back to the airport. Highly recommend them.

Cole

If the Best Western you're considering is the Best Western Plus Newark Airport West, we normally advise against staying there. It's in a rather industrial and somewhat sketchy area, not near anything, if you need to eat dinner the night before your cruise you're pretty well stuck using the hotel's restaurant.

The Country Inn and Suites is adjacent to the Mills at Jersey Gardens outlet mall, and there a couple of chain restaurants (IHOP and Ruby Tuesdays) nearby where you can have dinner. The hotel itself doesn't have a restaurant, but they do have complimentary breakfast.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm going to book the Country Inn & Suites. After talking with a friend and fellow cruiser, as well, she mentioned that they provide a shuttle service with which she also booked her return from the port to the airport. So that's what we are going to do.

Which one of these hotels, in your opinion, is the nicer of the two in Elizabeth, NJ, near Jersey Gardens Mall, on International Blvd.:

Country Inn and Suites??

Courtyard Marriott??

We are cruising on RCL Anthem Nov 27, but are staying nights of 25 and 26 November prior to cruise.

Have cruised many times from Cape Liberty, but have not stayed at either of these hotels.

Thank you,

NewJersey222

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm going to book the Country Inn & Suites. After talking with a friend and fellow cruiser, as well, she mentioned that they provide a shuttle service with which she also booked her return from the port to the airport. So that's what we are going to do.

We have stayed at the Country Inn and Suites twice now and it was wonderful (and this was before their renovations a few years ago!). I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

One thing that I have always said, though, is that you will be waiting a long time for that shuttle. Many, many guests are going to take it. We have stayed twice and have twice booked a car service to drive us to the port. Both times, the driver was on time, courteous and professional. He put our luggage in the trunk and off we drove leaving at least (and yes I am serious) 50 people standing in the lobby waiting for their ride. So glad we booked a private car service (the front desk arranged it - best $60 we ever spent).

I would gently ask you to reconsider this. What is the rate without the shuttle? Is it worth $60 for your time and trouble? We got to the pier around 10:30 am, neat and sweet.

Just something to think about.

We have stayed at the Country Inn and Suites twice now and it was wonderful (and this was before their renovations a few years ago!). I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

One thing that I have always said, though, is that you will be waiting a long time for that shuttle. Many, many guests are going to take it. We have stayed twice and have twice booked a car service to drive us to the port. Both times, the driver was on time, courteous and professional. He put our luggage in the trunk and off we drove leaving at least (and yes I am serious) 50 people standing in the lobby waiting for their ride. So glad we booked a private car service (the front desk arranged it - best $60 we ever spent).

I would gently ask you to reconsider this. What is the rate without the shuttle? Is it worth $60 for your time and trouble? We got to the pier around 10:30 am, neat and sweet.

Just something to think about.

Yes, something to think about indeed. Which car service dud you use?

Which one of these hotels, in your opinion, is the nicer of the two in Elizabeth, NJ, near Jersey Gardens Mall, on International Blvd.:

Country Inn and Suites??

Courtyard Marriott??

We are cruising on RCL Anthem Nov 27, but are staying nights of 25 and 26 November prior to cruise.

Have cruised many times from Cape Liberty, but have not stayed at either of these hotels.

Thank you,

NewJersey222

Could you provide more details? Do you have sightseeing plans? Are you driving from Voorhees NJ? Are you parking at the port? Both hotels are fine - the Courtyard is probably nicer, but neither hotel may be your best choice if you're going to be going in and out of Manhattan and parking at the port.

Could you provide more details? Do you have sightseeing plans? Are you driving from Voorhees NJ? Are you parking at the port? Both hotels are fine - the Courtyard is probably nicer, but neither hotel may be your best choice if you're going to be going in and out of Manhattan and parking at the port.

138East (Carol),

I figured as much. No sightseeing plans. I am taking the train, and my friend is flying from Toronto. We are meeting at P4, EWR. No in/out of Manhattan this time, maybe in the future. Because we arrive the Friday following Thanksgiving, the NYC crowds will be insane!!

Thank you for your response, Carol,

NewJersey222

138East (Carol),

I figured as much. No sightseeing plans. I am taking the train, and my friend is flying from Toronto. We are meeting at P4, EWR. No in/out of Manhattan this time, maybe in the future. Because we arrive the Friday following Thanksgiving, the NYC crowds will be insane!!

Thank you for your response, Carol,

NewJersey222

Be sure you book the Courtyard Elizabeth (not Courtyard Newark) if you pick a Courtyard. You want to be near the Jersey Gardens Mall, so Embassy Suites and Residence Inn are also options to put you in that location.

Be sure you book the Courtyard Elizabeth (not Courtyard Newark) if you pick a Courtyard. You want to be near the Jersey Gardens Mall, so Embassy Suites and Residence Inn are also options to put you in that location.

Thank you, Carol, for the info. We are definitely staying at one of those, now to decide which one....Decisions, decisions....:)

NewJersey222

We found a stay-park- cruise option at the Holiday Inn on Staten Island. Shuttle service is provided to and from the port.

Any comments or suggestions from anyone familiar with the area would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a good area to leave our car for a week?

Our other option is to stay there and then drive to the port to park.

Thanks so much

We found a stay-park- cruise option at the Holiday Inn on Staten Island. Shuttle service is provided to and from the port.

Any comments or suggestions from anyone familiar with the area would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a good area to leave our car for a week?

Our other option is to stay there and then drive to the port to park.

Thanks so much

What exact date would you be doing this? Are you sailing Anthem or Summit?

Leaving cars on Staten Island has never been a concern. However the Bayonne Bridge closings over a long period of time have made Staten Island a more unpredictable less convenient option. If the Bayonne Bridge is closed on your sail and or return dates, the hotel shuttle will have to take the long way around on the NJ Turnpike from exit 14A to exit 13 (Goethals Bridge) to get you back to Staten Island.

Coming from the South you will save some NJ Turnpike tolls by getting off at exit 10 and crossing over to Staten Island, but you will incur a $15 bridge toll.

Post back with your details. Until the Bayonne Bridge construction is complete, your best options might be to do the park/sleep/cruise through Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada or to get a hotel at exit 8 or 8A on the NJ Turnpike, drive the 45 minutes to the port (easy drive for a weekend sailing), and pay the $140 to park at the pier.

What exact date would you be doing this? Are you sailing Anthem or Summit?

Leaving cars on Staten Island has never been a concern. However the Bayonne Bridge closings over a long period of time have made Staten Island a more unpredictable less convenient option. If the Bayonne Bridge is closed on your sail and or return dates, the hotel shuttle will have to take the long way around on the NJ Turnpike from exit 14A to exit 13 (Goethals Bridge) to get you back to Staten Island.

Coming from the South you will save some NJ Turnpike tolls by getting off at exit 10 and crossing over to Staten Island, but you will incur a $15 bridge toll.

Post back with your details. Until the Bayonne Bridge construction is complete, your best options might be to do the park/sleep/cruise through Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada or to get a hotel at exit 8 or 8A on the NJ Turnpike, drive the 45 minutes to the port (easy drive for a weekend sailing), and pay the $140 to park at the pier.

Thanks for responding with good info.........we'll be on Anthem Dec 9 - 16. Those are both Fridays.

Is there somewhere that the bridge closings are posted?

Thanks for responding with good info.........we'll be on Anthem Dec 9 - 16. Those are both Fridays.

Is there somewhere that the bridge closings are posted?

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

Typically the bridge is closed weekdays from 9 am to 3 pm. That means you are adding an extra layer of unnecessary hassle to your trip by staying on Staten Island.

Trinityreservations for the Ramada is $214 tax included for your date for room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation.

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

Typically the bridge is closed weekdays from 9 am to 3 pm. That means you are adding an extra layer of unnecessary hassle to your trip by staying on Staten Island.

Trinityreservations for the Ramada is $214 tax included for your date for room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation.

Thanks so much for the info and the website!.....love CC for all of the good info and helpful posters!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

My boyfriend and I just booked the 03/19/2017 sailing on the Anthem. We live in the Baltimore, MD area and are considering a few options for getting to Cape Liberty. I've not sailed out of this location before and I was wondering if you could weigh in on a couple points.

1. Same day drive in? According to Google, this is about a 3 hour drive from home to port. Departure day is Sunday, so the traffic shouldn't be horrendous, right? Are there any big traffic snarls that I should know about that might make us want to consider driving in same-day?

2. Parking wars. I see the cruise terminal parking and it appears the going rate is $20/day, so $140 for the duration of the 7 night cruise. Is there cheaper parking or a better option? Is it safe?

3. Stay-Park-Sail, is this is thing? We considered just getting a hotel room for Saturday evening and then seeing about parking at the hotel and catching a shuttle to the port. It seems from your posts in this thread here that staying near to Cape Liberty the night before makes for crazy shuttle service departure morning. Do the hotels generally charge to leave a car there for the week? Is it safe?

Any other thoughts or questions are welcome, just having booked last night I'm still trying to get my head around this stuff to make for a low-stress first cruise for my boyfriend.

Thanks! :)

Hi Folks,

My boyfriend and I just booked the 03/19/2017 sailing on the Anthem. We live in the Baltimore, MD area and are considering a few options for getting to Cape Liberty. I've not sailed out of this location before and I was wondering if you could weigh in on a couple points.

1. Same day drive in? According to Google, this is about a 3 hour drive from home to port. Departure day is Sunday, so the traffic shouldn't be horrendous, right? Are there any big traffic snarls that I should know about that might make us want to consider driving in same-day?

2. Parking wars. I see the cruise terminal parking and it appears the going rate is $20/day, so $140 for the duration of the 7 night cruise. Is there cheaper parking or a better option? Is it safe?

3. Stay-Park-Sail, is this is thing? We considered just getting a hotel room for Saturday evening and then seeing about parking at the hotel and catching a shuttle to the port. It seems from your posts in this thread here that staying near to Cape Liberty the night before makes for crazy shuttle service departure morning. Do the hotels generally charge to leave a car there for the week? Is it safe?

Any other thoughts or questions are welcome, just having booked last night I'm still trying to get my head around this stuff to make for a low-stress first cruise for my boyfriend.

Thanks! :)

1). Sunday morning is the easiest traffic time of the week. However you need a plan B in case of mid-March snow. If you choose this, I would leave no later than 7 am.

2). Cruise terminal parking is $20/day. Alternative parking in Bayonne is not recommended.

3) Park/stay/cruise - look at Trinityreservations.com for the Ramada. For your date the package is $207 tax included and includes hotel, up to 21 days parking, and round trip Cruiseport transportation. This is gated/attended 7x24 parking at a hotel that has folks coming and going at all hours. Almost all the airport hotels charge for parking, which is a valuable commodity at EWR.

The crazy shuttle service has been reported at Country Inns, which has too small a lobby to handle a bus load of cruisers waiting with luggage.

Does anyone know if there is a car rental agency at Cape Liberty? Is there one close by? We are arriving on a Trans-Atlantic and are planning on driving home to N.H.

Thanks

Carol

I did a quick google map search and there is an Enterprise location on JFK Blvd by the I78 which seems the closest (5 miles). They also get good reviews. Hope this helps. I'd watch out for drop off charges though.

Sandi

Hi Carol,

The other two locations for car rentals are Newark Airport and Jersey City.

Many of the car rental locations in Jersey City are close to the accessible light rail, which means you can take a shuttle from Cape Liberty to the light rail station and get to Jersey City for under $20 if you can roll your luggage. Getting to Newark Airport is going to run $55-65.

Check your prices and post back if you need more details.