Turners Beach Bar

irishayes

DD and I will be in Antigua for the day in early January. I want to take her to Turners Beach Bar for the day. I've posted on my roll call to invite others to join, but so far no interest.

Do you think it is safe for my daughter and I to take a cab by ourselves to Turners?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

DD and I will be in Antigua for the day in early January. I want to take her to Turners Beach Bar for the day. I've posted on my roll call to invite others to join, but so far no interest.

Do you think it is safe for my daughter and I to take a cab by ourselves to Turners?

No need to post "to share a taxi". Just take a shared shuttle minibus from the port, there will be many going there as it is a destination for the Cruise Herds and tours. Outside the port gate will be many taxi Captains touting for business. Ask for "Turners". If you do not wish to be part of a mass migration, there are better options.

No need to post "to share a taxi". Just take a shared shuttle minibus from the port, there will be many going there as it is a destination for the Cruise Herds and tours. Outside the port gate will be many taxi Captains touting for business. Ask for "Turners". If you do not wish to be part of a mass migration, there are better options.

Just curious which beach(es) you would recommend over Turner's Beach Bar, and why?

Just curious which beach(es) you would recommend over Turner's Beach Bar, and why?

To assist, copy/paste previous posts on CC

Beach location

If you wish to take Lunch/Drinks.

The best two places for your consideration are JACQUI O's and CECILIA'S look nowhere else, as every decent "quiet" beach will attract the cruise herds, and cease to be so.

Both are upmarket shabby chic class with excellent service, food, drinks, facilities and are "well away" from the Cruise Herds, no matter how many ships are in port. JO's and C''s are NOT "grab a bed and a umbrella" places.

JO is closed on a Monday and is closest to the Port.

Cecilia's has a lower price point and slightly further away

Book your visit in advance.

Whoever you select there will be no disappointment.

JACQUI O's - https://www.facebook.com/

CECILIA'S - http://highpointantigua.com/

If you like the ambience of a Yacht/Beach Club, then the Pavilion

Contact the Concierge at the Pavilion

concierge@christopheharbour.com

They may allow you to visit, take lunch, drinks etc for a day

Cruise Herds will never establish this place as a "destination".

Not a "grab a bed and an umbrella" beach club.

I've seen you post these locations before. Do you have a vested interest in these two places? First of all, the link to Jacqui o's is not valid. Second, turners beach bar she's NOT attract hoards of cruise passengers.

I've seen you post these locations before. Do you have a vested interest in these two places? First of all, the link to Jacqui o's is not valid. Second, turners beach bar she's NOT attract hoards of cruise passengers.

Seen posts before? So why ask?

No vested interest

You pay your money and make your choice.

Some may wish to have a better vacation experience, which by paying a premium does bring. Such as Grills.

I was at Turners Beach in 2014. Loved it, will now be my go-to beach in Antigua. There were approx. 20 people on the beach for the 3-4 hours we were there (and we were not the only cruise ship in port). Great bar/restaurant, good food and friendly service. They rent loungers/umbrellas, you can sit in the sun, we preferred to skip the umbrellas and sit under the trees.

We just picked up a cab from town.

Hint: pass thru the gauntlet of aggressive taxi drivers (they congregate in the middle of the street at a certain location forcing you to walk through the group) and a couple of blocks further there will be taxi drivers around with a more civilized approach.

Yes, I've been there before a couple of times and I love it. Just wondering about taking a cab because it will be only my daughter and I, so concerned about safety.

No need to be concerned. I (female) have even taken the bus out there and back solo several times.

Also, I agree that so far, there are not hoards of cruise passengers. That's Valley Church - it's closer to the port, and easier to get to.

I don't remember the bus number, but just walk to the station and the information person will tell you. If you do a search, there are several detailed threads here about taking the bus in Antigua. Simple and safe

So, can we please stop talking about Turners now, so it too does not get over-run?

bus or cab is fine. My husband and I were just in Antigua for 5 days and explored all over with a rental car and that was one of the beaches we really liked. We stayed at Antigua Village and for the life of me I don't understand why people recommend Dickenson beach (which is where my rental was at). Sandals takes up the entire beach practically. We stopped at Turners to swim for a bit on our way back from an excursion and really liked it. Of course it is not half moon beach which was gorgeous but still nice. Everyone is so nice in Antigua and really helpful. You and your daughter should be fine. There are so many beautiful beaches to choose from. Another idea is to go to Dennis' on Ffryes beach. I had lunch there one day and it was really good. The beach was very nice. Another is beach Limerz which had good food. I think it is in Fort james? Near Dickenson Bay. Sorry for any spelling errors.

Edited by jean87510