Pied Piper Cruises

Luke916

Such as the USA that still doesn't provide equal rights for Gay People on a federal level?

Or in Cleveland, we've and some recent gay bashing here, and the Gay Olympics are coming this summer, should those be canceled and boycotted by the competitors this ruining the lives of ll the vendors, bars restaurants just due to the actions of a few bad apples?

There are good and bad people everywhere, most of the tourist areas and workers in Jamaica are happy to have us as consumers, I don't think those people need to have their businesses interrupted due to the actions (or inactions by not changing things) of their government.

I respect your decision to avoid Jamaica, but honestly, you should avoid a majority of Caribbean ports if you want to hold a government accountable for its stance on Gay Rights (or lack thereof). In fact you should avoid America as well, as sad as that is to say.

Your decision to avoid Jamaica isn't really going to do anything to change the government's mind - just like we in the good old US of A have not yet been able to on a federal level get our Senators or Representatives to once and for all put an end to inequality - but it will hurt those whose well-being and ability to support their families depends on the tourists, through no fault of their own.

Such as the USA that still doesn't provide equal rights for Gay People on a federal level?

The law was passed last week by President Obama. We now get the same rights, even our partners Social Security. Also if you are married in one state and live in another that does not yet recognized same sex marriage that state now has to recognize that marriage on the Federal level.

Edited by CrusingJoe

The law was passed last week by President Obama. We now get the same rights, even our partners Social Security. Also if you are married in one state and live in another that does not yet recognized same sex marriage that state now has to recognize that marriage on the Federal level.

still lots of states that won't allow a joint state tax return though. lots of work to be done here still. The Federal government needs to pouch this as an amendment iike they did in the 60's for african americans and like way back for women to vote.

Presidents don't pass laws. Only Congress can pass legislation; the legislation becomes a law if the President signs it or Congress overrides a presidential veto. A President can issue an Executive Order regarding the conduct of the Executive Branch and those doing business with it, but that is limited in scope.

While I agree that gay people have far more rights at the federal level than we did before this Administration and particularly before the Supreme Court's ruling last year in the DOMA case, Windsor, there is certainly NO federal law protecting gay people from discrimination in employment, for example. And Social Security protections don't yet clearly extend to all married same-sex couples; there are still problems for those living in non-recognition states.

There is no law giving us "all the same rights at the federal level."

Presidents don't pass laws. Only Congress can pass legislation; the legislation becomes a law if the President signs it or Congress overrides a presidential veto. A President can issue an Executive Order regarding the conduct of the Executive Branch and those doing business with it, but that is limited in scope.

While I agree that gay people have far more rights at the federal level than we did before this Administration and particularly before the Supreme Court's ruling last year in the DOMA case, Windsor, there is certainly NO federal law protecting gay people from discrimination in employment, for example. And Social Security protections don't yet clearly extend to all married same-sex couples; there are still problems for those living in non-recognition states.

There is no law giving us "all the same rights at the federal level."

THANKS for this... I was just researching news trying to find out how I missed this law being passed and was finding nothing!

Executive orders yes I get those, and the next president can just as easily remove this executive order if he wants, and now we have Boehner threatening to sue the president over his issued orders, and SCOTA suddenly taking the powers back in line from the president.

It HAS to come from congress for it to be meaningful.

As I pointed out in the other thread, you seem to be misinformed. ENDA has not been passed and Obama has not yet signed any executive order. Even if he did, it would apply to federal contractors ONLY. As for marriage rights, while DOMA has been overturned, and the circuits have been making progress, the Supreme Ct has not yet held a fundamental right to marriage for same sex couples exists. And a majority of states still have constitutional bans on the books.

My husband and I have been booking with PP for many years and have been on the PT cruise a number of times. It is fun. We will not be going on this one. I understand the desire for a different itinerary. I do. However, as mentioned earlier the islands are a distraction for the cruise. They are all the same, same shops, beaches etc. Fun but very little difference in what you do. So having a different itinerary is a straw man. We were profoundly saddened by this choice for a gay cruise.

The funny thing is we were on last year's PT cruise when they started selling this one. Friends who purchased it were defensive about it when telling us they bought it even before we had learned it was going to Jamaica. That shows they also understand the fallacy of the arguments in favor of the cruise.

Concerning GLBT rights, there are huge differences between the path the US is moving on and those in Jamaica. We have been making great strides for our rights in the US, not there yet by any means, but still making great strides.

While it is true that many of the Caribbean islands are homophobic. Many of them are working toward addressing the issues. Some, such as Puerto Rico are actively courting the gay dollar. None of this is true in Jamaica. They are moving backwards and proud of it. It is increasingly dangerous and hostile for a gay person in Jamaica. Regardless of whether you leave the boat or not, your port fees are still supporting the local community.

FYI, this is not just the Caribbean. My husband and I will also not go on a Baltic cruise that hits St Petersburg for the same reasons. Spending your dollars either actively (hitting the bars, beaches and stores) or just through your buying the cruise and your fees going to the country, is still supporting the anti-gay efforts in those countries.

If you go on the cruise, enjoy it. Just don't try to cover the fact that you are supporting a hostile country by arguing false equivalencies.

Regarding all the talk about the PP P-T cruise going to gay-hating countries:

I know PP is based in NYC so they're obviously prejudiced in favor of the east coast, but really guys? EVERY year? ALWAYS the Caribbean? Don't they realize there are many, many, many gays on the west coast? Why not a Post-Thanksgiving cruise from HERE?

We have "done the Caribbean to death" over the years and have enjoyed PP very much, but we're sick of flying clear across the country in a cramped plane, paying extra for cruise luggage and not even getting a tiny bag of peanuts! Isn't it finally you east coasters' turn to go thru that hell?

So, we've been taking cruises out of San Francisco (our home) and San Diego. We go to Alaska, Hawai'i, Mexico and the South Pacific islands on Celebrity and Princess (preferring Celebrity). (We try to avoid going ashore in Alaska because they're so stupid they elected Sarah Palin). We miss the PP comradery, but not the dreadful hell that air travel has become.

Wouldn't some of you guys and gals love an excuse to visit the gay mecca of San Francisco? A PP P-T cruise from here would be a wonderful excuse to visit us don't you think? It's OUR turn, huh? And there's no place on earth you'd be more welcome than here!

If Pied Piper was so East Coast biased the post Thanksgiving cruises would leave from New York. ;)

But... that would mean 2 days of sailing to get to warm weather that people expect (based on gay charters, we want warm weather when it is cold!) There are not many ships departing NYC after Thanksgiving and those seem to be mostly smaller and luxury ships except for NCL.

Where are lots of ships during the post-Thanksgiving lull - meaning cheaper fares? In the Caribbean! Unless you live within driving distance of Florida, most East Coasters also have to fly to get there.

How many ships are available from San Francisco after Thanksgiving? Other than Star Princess to Hawaii it seems no other ships. Not much else available in Seattle, Los Angeles or San Diego. Where could it go in seven days where there is warm weather?

So...there are not any viable options in your next of the woods that time of the year.

Edited by Boytjie

Pied Piper has established a great relationship with Celebrity over the years, so continue to support the line for the majority of their cruses.

PP also gets the best comments from its guests about sailing celebrity ships versus other lines as far as service accommodations and expectations being met are. They do do an occasional Cunard or Royal Caribbean sailing, and the occasional Norwegian weekend party cruise out of NYC, but they stick to Celebrity ships for the majority of their business.

I thought they did a San Francisco sailing last year one of celebrity's Wine Cruises

I also think the caribbean sailings tend to be more value-focused due to the extreme competition there versus ports with fewer ships to choose fro, so they get better deals. I imagine as well a higher percentage of piped pipers clients are from Fort Lauderdale/Miami/Florida area and thus sailing from there helps ensure more guests sail without extra expense of flights, hotels etc. for the value conscious person which helps get more people on the group.

Also people do like nice sandy warm beaches that time of year, and San Francisco isn't going to deliver that as well as Miami and Fort Lauderdale!

I guess it boils down to who the majority of their clients are and where they are.

Certainly there must be some sort of similar group that is on the west coast if there is demand for it...

• 3 weeks later...

The 2013 Post-Thanksgiving cruise was my first cruise. My (ex) partner and his group of friends take this cruise every year and had apparently become close friends with Derek. Mind you, I never once met Derek or the hosts....actually, I'm surprised there were hosts! I never saw evidence of one.

But, as it was my first cruise, I had a blast!!! The only thing I could have passed on were the two strippers...hairless gym bodies that couldn't dance to save their lives.

This year, I decided to request a room share...after waiting for weeks I dropped PP an email. Were they able to find me a roomie? Hardly an hour passed before I got an email saying that if I wanted to share a more expensive room I would probably have better luck with a share. Before I could even pen a reply...Derek wrote me saying that somebody (another penny pincher) was looking to share an inside cabin. Bingo! I could afford to go on the cruise!

These few emails from Derek really made me feel like I was being taken care of...so, even if things don't go 100%, I'm going to remember this thoughtfulness. Even if PP doesn't have a great record with communications...I'm going to trust that I can ask you helpful folks for your experience and suggestions.

It's going to be a blast getting to know you all!

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be on the Sept 19 cruise but are wondering about getting about in Boudreaux. Does the ship dock in La Rochelle proper? If not, where? Want to arrange wine tour. Any ideas? Appreciate it.

Your best bet for arranging tours (if you are trying to put a group together or join one) is on your Roll Call, which is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950362

(There may also be a g/l Roll Call for your sailing, I did not check.)

If you are looking for recommendations for tour operators, you may find some on your Roll Call as well, and you may also want to post your question on the Port of Call/Europe/France board.

It's possible that Pied Piper might have a shore excursion planned for this port, you might want to ask them.

As for where your ship docks, you can find that on Celebrity's web site; it says you have a port call in La Rochelle (the actual place where cruise ships dock is a bit out of town).

Hope this is helpful. Have a great trip.

• 1 month later...

The Pied Piper groups vary a lot, depending on what cruise you book. Their big after-Thanksgiving cruise will be large and likely include all sorts of people. One we took was only about 20 people and half of them stuck pretty much to themselves all the time, but the others were nice. Mostly couples though. And one time we booked with them and they only got 6 people, so there really wasn't a group at all. Instead of a host we each got an onboard credit for a few drinks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

I agree about the level of customer service, but Derek is usually very quick to respond.

My husband and I will be on our second PP cruise, on the Celebrity Eclipse for the Iceland/Norway cruise departing June 27.

I joined the Roll Call for the Iceland/Norway cruise but it's not very active. I asked if anyone else is with PP and didn't get a response. Derek emailed me that they are planning a special excursion while in Iceland, and there will be 2 hosts so I imagine there will be at least 50 people in the group. Anyone else on that cruise?

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning my 1st ever cruise and am looking into booking with Pied Piper. It sounds like the after Thanksgiving Caribbean is right up my alley. I'll be cruising solo and tend to enjoy the more mature clientele :) I'm really looking forward to this!!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm planning my 1st ever cruise and am looking into booking with Pied Piper. It sounds like the after Thanksgiving Caribbean is right up my alley. I'll be cruising solo and tend to enjoy the more mature clientele :) I'm really looking forward to this!!

It's been about 2 years since our last PP cruise. We'd be taking them now except for the fact that they pretty much never have a cruise leaving from the west coast (specifically San Francisco or San Diego). If they DID, we'd be on it! We're an older couple, together for over 30 years, and we love the mix of young, middle and older singles and couples. There's a nice camaraderie within the group usually. If only they'd sponsor more cruises from the west coast. They're located in NYC, so it's somewhat understandable, but they should advertise themselves as "Pied Piper Caribbean and European Gay Group Cruises". You'll have fun on their Post-Thanksgiving cruise. It's their "biggie" and has been known to attract 500+ cruisers on that yearly cruise. If they weren't any good at the "gay group" thing I wouldn't be so miffed that they neglect us west-coasters.

They neglect us, I assume, because they have a great (and undoubtedly lucrative) relationship with Celebrity/Royal Caribbean cruises. That's an excellent decision on their part (Celebrity is hands-down our favorite among Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Carnival and Azamara) but only Princess and HAL seem to treat both coasts equally. Too bad for us. Have fun: I doubt you'll regret it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I booked their Alaska cruise this year in August. Has anyone been to Alaska with Pied Piper in the past? First time with Pied Piper but have been on other gay group cruises before.

We are also taking this cruise with four friends. We've taken a few PP cruises but this is our first Alaska cruise. The Solstice August 21 Roll Call is pretty quiet...

• 2 months later...

Hi from Kuala Lumpur

flying over from Malaysia to join this cruise....a week in SFO, 4 days in Seattle, cruise and then spend a week in Vancouver before returning. My Kelvin and I got married on the Celebrity Century between NZ and Australia as part of the PP group 3 years ago. The experience was truly amazing and the Greek captain certainly had some stories to tell the wife and bambinos!!

This will be my 4th PP cruise on Celebrity

Hi from Kuala Lumpur

flying over from Malaysia to join this cruise....a week in SFO, 4 days in Seattle, cruise and then spend a week in Vancouver before returning. My Kelvin and I got married on the Celebrity Century between NZ and Australia as part of the PP group 3 years ago. The experience was truly amazing and the Greek captain certainly had some stories to tell the wife and bambinos!!

This will be my 4th PP cruise on Celebrity

Congratulations on your marriage, whish I could of be there. Were there other passenger's invited to your very well planed wedding?