Pied Piper Cruises

Luke916

We sailed one cruise through Pied Piper and saved a bundle on Concierge Class (Celebrity).

I don't think we would be inclined to re-book through them as our experience on board wasn't all that great. We made a couple of friends, but the tour director was an idiot, IMHO. We were early into cruising and assumed we were stuck with him and our dumb@ss table mate who made every dining experience painful.

What we did like was the comradery of some and making a few new gay friends.

Edited by Mermen

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the PP Post-Thanksgiving cruise to the Western Caribbean on Celebrity Silhouette.

Looking forward to it as we were on the same cruise last year but not with PP. Had a great time, but definitely wished I had booked with PP so I could take part in their events. Hoping this year will be as good as last year seemed!:)

This is a forum that alllows one to give their opinion/s. Please refrain the temptation to flame other members.

Perhaps a review of the Community Guidelines is in order.

You are not expected to agree with everyone, but respect IS expected. This thread contains good informtion, pros and cons, regarding PP. We're trying to keep form pulling it. Stay on topic and deliever YOUR opinion.

Thanks,

Tyler

Edited by Host Tyler

I haven't sailed yet but I was impressed with both the price and fast customer response of PP vs RSVP. PP even threw in a free drink package which I can't imagine RSVP ever doing.

Curious - was the free drink package from Pied Piper or from Celebrity? The cruise line has offered the free drink package as a promotion for quite a while, so you may have had that available regardless of whether or not you booked through PP.

Curious - was the free drink package from Pied Piper or from Celebrity? The cruise line has offered the free drink package as a promotion for quite a while, so you may have had that available regardless of whether or not you booked through PP.

The free drink package is a Celebrity promo; it is passed through to passengers by travel agents. It would have been available whether or not one booked through PP.

I haven't sailed yet but I was impressed with both the price and fast customer response of PP vs RSVP. PP even threw in a free drink package which I can't imagine RSVP ever doing.

The free drink package is offered by Celebrity in its 1-2-3/Pick-your-perk/Wave promo. As someone else mentioned, it is passed along through the agent (PP) to the customer.

My understanding is that promos are not usually offered on RSVP/Atlantis b/c of 1) the fact that they usually do full charters, as opposed to the partial charters often offered by PP and 2) b/c of the difference in clientele (Atlantis tends to draw younger party-types, who tend to drink more, which would drive down the line's profits if the promo was offered.)

On our recent RSVP charter om the MSC Divina a number of drinks packages were available. Not the unlimited packages; aparantly they tried that on an Atlantis charter on Celebrity and alcohol sales were WAY down! Too many people know each other on charters. ;)

Out of curiosity, I did some analysis of this thread so far, assigning a rating to each posting -- negative, comment/question (so, neutral), and positive. After a while, I had to add another category -- attack/apologist in which the responder chastises the poster for his/her opinion and blames them for the problems they reported with Pied Piper.

Clearly, some people on some cruises are quite happy with PP. The number of positive responses was more than twice the number of negative ones. I would point out, however, that the negatives were extremely negative.

I was also curious if the positives were concentrated among certain posters, which they are not. The most positive postings by one individual is three; in most cases, the positive is a single post from an individual. Again, some are very happy with PP.

One other observation -- the negative comments seem to be later in the thread. Perhaps there is a downward trend?

Here's the raw numbers as of today (April 26, 2014):

Positive: 30

Neutral: 85

Negative: 13

Attack/Apologist: 5

(I know for a fact that the last category would have been higher a few weeks ago, as one of the attack/apologist postings was directed at me. Based on moderator comments, I'm assuming that specific posting was either hidden or deleted, hence it is not included here. And thank you to the moderator for constructive comments.)

• 1 month later...
Out of curiosity, I did some analysis of this thread so far, assigning a rating to each posting -- negative, comment/question (so, neutral), and positive. After a while, I had to add another category -- attack/apologist in which the responder chastises the poster for his/her opinion and blames them for the problems they reported with Pied Piper.

Clearly, some people on some cruises are quite happy with PP. The number of positive responses was more than twice the number of negative ones. I would point out, however, that the negatives were extremely negative.

I was also curious if the positives were concentrated among certain posters, which they are not. The most positive postings by one individual is three; in most cases, the positive is a single post from an individual. Again, some are very happy with PP.

One other observation -- the negative comments seem to be later in the thread. Perhaps there is a downward trend?

Here's the raw numbers as of today (April 26, 2014):

Positive: 30

Neutral: 85

Negative: 13

Attack/Apologist: 5

(I know for a fact that the last category would have been higher a few weeks ago, as one of the attack/apologist postings was directed at me. Based on moderator comments, I'm assuming that specific posting was either hidden or deleted, hence it is not included here. And thank you to the moderator for constructive comments.)

My husband and I were looking to book the post thanksgiving cruise 2015 until we read this entire thread. Too many negative comments as far as we are concerned. Who needs the drama that PP seems to conjure.

I probably fall into the apologist category but my take on a PP cruise, is at least you get a discount and 2 cocktail parties with free drinks. I've done 4 PP cruses now myself, 2 TA's the thanksgiving one, and a week to Bermuda.

If you get on and don't like the PP experience, then just hang out someplace else on the ship, change your dining arrangements and meet people elsewhere.

There is really nothing to LOSE by booking with PP, and something to GAIN. If they were charging a premium for their cruise experience like RSVP and Atlantis do, then there would plenty of room for having to make a tough decision to choose them or not, but worst case scenario with PP, is you nook through them to get a discounted cabin fare and the cruise itself is as if you booked direct with celebrity for the duration, except you get a few invitations along the way to some events and meet your gay cruise mates the first day instead of slowly over the cruise.

I have thought likewise, but if memory serves, some of the complaints have been about the handling of the booking.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Really most of the booking complaints are simply that they don't email invoices out till closer to sailing once final payments are in. They do this as they give price adjustments automatically if your cruise fare falls, so this way they aren't sending out multiple confirmations and invoices and credit memos over time.

Pied Piper does send out a confirmation once you book though, for your records. It looks like this (copied and pasted from the email)

We are pleased to confirm your reservation on the Silhouette as per the following details:

• Passenger(s): Curtis B.
  • Sailing Date/Cruise: November 30, 2014 Caribbean cruise!
  • Category/Cabin Confirmed: RS/Royal Suite cabin #[CABIN NUMBER IS HER]
  • Reservation #[CELEBRITY RES NUMBER OULD BE HERE)
  • A deposit of $1,000 per person was required to confirm the reservation. This was charged to the credit card provided.

We will send you a detailed invoice showing the full amount of your cruise minus payments applied. Please allow until three months prior to your cruise for your invoice to arrive.

One is able to view their reservation even if made by Pied Piper, on the Celebrity website by logging in and plugging in a confirmation number, though it won't show fare, we as customers need to keep note of that. The applicable fare we pay is shown to you when you make your booking, and you can see the fare when logging on to PP's website into your account.

As PP isn't a full service travel agency, just a coordinator of group cruses who gets discount fares for doing so, not much more is necessary except wait for final payment and get yourself to the port. They don't coordinate air or land transportation or transfers, or excursion bookings, they instead have you do that via Celebrity website self-serve.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend sailed with Pied Piper twice a number of years ago and had a great time so I was looking at doing the same. Unfortunately I was a bit surprised by the choice of itinerary for their post thanksgiving cruise this year. If I had to build an itinerary and make a real effort to stop in anti-gay place in the caribbean, this would be the perfect sailing. I have a hard time feeling as though I would be safe let alone welcome. Cayman, Jamaica, and Haiti?? Really? Does anyone else feel that this route is a bit odd for Pied Piper to choose? I know Cayman isn't hostile to gays anymore but the human rights abuses towards gay people in Jamaica and Haiti are disturbing at best. In Jamaica, gay men can be imprisoned up to 10 years for gay acts. Here's a headline from just last year in Haiti....

Haiti gangs beat 47 gays with machetes, sticks and cement blocks

Spiraling violence against LGBT men in Haiti began when anti-gay Christians marched against fictional same-sex marriage bill

31 JULY 2013 | BY TRIS REID-SMITH

Dozens of gay men were beaten by gangs with knives, machetes, cement blocks, sticks and iron bars in Haiti, GSN can reveal.

Human rights campaigners in the Caribbean nation say they know of 47 assaults in just one week (17 to 24 July), though attacks have slowed in recent days following government intervention.

Some have had their lives threatened or had their houses have been burned down or looted.

No thanks, Pied Piper.

My friend sailed with Pied Piper twice a number of years ago and had a great time so I was looking at doing the same. Unfortunately I was a bit surprised by the choice of itinerary for their post thanksgiving cruise this year. If I had to build an itinerary and make a real effort to stop in anti-gay place in the caribbean, this would be the perfect sailing. I have a hard time feeling as though I would be safe let alone welcome. Cayman, Jamaica, and Haiti?? Really? Does anyone else feel that this route is a bit odd for Pied Piper to choose?

No thanks, Pied Piper.

What it boiled down to was this was the only 7 night caribbean sailing on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity ships out of MIA or FLL that weekend that didn't repeat last year's itinerary. PP and its guests definitely prefer RC and X to other ones, so they stick with them.

There's a FB group where we've actively talked about it, and basically, most are just gong to call it a ship day and not go into port. Almost like having a the pool deck and bear soup all to ourselves for the day!

Most on the sailing go for the camaraderie and annual reunion to see old friends and not so much the ports or entertainment.

They will still have the large group this particular sailing normally has, 700 to 900 or so of us. :D

The stop in Labadee, Haiti is actually Royal Caribbean's private island, so there should be no issue with that stop.

Edited by cle-guy

What it boiled down to was this was the only 7 night caribbean sailing on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity ships out of MIA or FLL that weekend that didn't repeat last year's itinerary. PP and its guests definitely prefer RC and X to other ones, so they stick with them.

There's a FB group where we've actively talked about it, and basically, most are just gong to call it a ship day and not go into port. Almost like having a the pool deck and bear soup all to ourselves for the day!

Most on the sailing go for the camaraderie and annual reunion to see old friends and not so much the ports or entertainment.

They will still have the large group this particular sailing normally has, 700 to 900 or so of us. :D

Hey Curt. Totally understand not wanting to repeat itineraries. I know that has been a huge concern for the people that have gone on the PT cruise.

I'm curious as to the discussion on FB and if it was a no-go for other guys that would normal attend. I'm a bit conflicted about certain places and whether to ban them or keep traveling regardless. I'm not too worried about getting called names. We get that even in the most liberal places. it's when our safety is in question and whether the police or government has laws of imprisonment or turn a blind eye towards bashings/haters that worry me

It just seems funny that people would rather stay onboard the ship in Jamaica or Haiti, but not repeat an itinerary. If most are going to stay and enjoy the ship, can't you just as easily do that on the same route rather than support countries that are dangerous to gay men and women thought port fees and taxes? Anyway, just curious about what the response has been.

Cheers,

N

Hey Curt. Totally understand not wanting to repeat itineraries. I know that has been a huge concern for the people that have gone on the PT cruise.

I'm curious as to the discussion on FB and if it was a no-go for other guys that would normal attend. I'm a bit conflicted about certain places and whether to ban them or keep traveling regardless. I'm not too worried about getting called names. We get that even in the most liberal places. it's when our safety is in question and whether the police or government has laws of imprisonment or turn a blind eye towards bashings/haters that worry me

It just seems funny that people would rather stay onboard the ship in Jamaica or Haiti, but not repeat an itinerary. If most are going to stay and enjoy the ship, can't you just as easily do that on the same route rather than support countries that are dangerous to gay men and women thought port fees and taxes? Anyway, just curious about what the response has been.

Cheers,

N

The discussion there seems to be about maybe 5% of the regulars may be avoiding it, the vast majority are going to go. The option was literally the exact same itinerary as last year, in order same ports, same ship, and same times.

So people will avoid Jamaica and enjoy the other stops in Cozumal, Grand Cayman and the private island (so no concerns at all there) of Labadee for a nice beach day. And some are still doing Jamaica because they realize it's really the government at fault, and many of the common citizens could care less, and rely on making a living from cruise passengers. As with any travels, be smart about it and be aware of one's surroundings. And some who punted their fists saying no i wont go in november, are now going anyway.

As many people have been killed on the mexican/american border in recent months or school kids by other school kids as have been killed in Jamaica, so if we really want to live in a safe place, best to find another country than the USA to live in.

I'm one to hardly ever leave a ship actually, I just love the resort feel of it all. Last year I only got off in St. Maarten, to me all caribbean islands are pretty much the same. My atlantis cruise, I only got off in St. Thomas for the day, none of the other ports. People cruise for different reasons. Getting of in ports is important for some, not so much for others, so avoiding Jamaica isn't the end of the world to many - it's some times nice to enjoy the quite abandoned ship for the day when the masses are on shore. And I;m sure we will all make a great day of it poolside!

LOL. Yeah, us too. sometimes it's so nice to enjoy the peace and quiet of an empty ship while at port. On our last cruise, we only got off in Cozumel to have lunch at a favorite restaurant. The rest of the time, we had the ship to ourselves and relaxed in our cabana. It was heaven :)

As many people have been killed on the mexican/american border in recent months or school kids by other school kids as have been killed in Jamaica, so if we really want to live in a safe place, best to find another country than the USA to live in.

I agree with the earlier post and avoid cruises that stop in ports that whose governments are overtly oppressive.

Regarding Mexico... I live in Mexico and find it to be gay friendly. Have cruised regularly with gay groups and have always been welcomed and valued as a customer. The majority of people being "killed" are in Nuevo Laredo, on the Texas border... nothing to do with cruising, and not really a tourist area. Those killed are generally somehow involved in the drug trade... unfortunately for the family members affected.

I agree with the earlier post and avoid cruises that stop in ports that whose governments are overtly oppressive.

/SIZE]

Such as the USA that still doesn't provide equal rights for Gay People on a federal level?

Or in Cleveland, we've and some recent gay bashing here, and the Gay Olympics are coming this summer, should those be canceled and boycotted by the competitors this ruining the lives of ll the vendors, bars restaurants just due to the actions of a few bad apples?

There are good and bad people everywhere, most of the tourist areas and workers in Jamaica are happy to have us as consumers, I don't think those people need to have their businesses interrupted due to the actions (or inactions by not changing things) of their government.

I respect your decision to avoid Jamaica, but honestly, you should avoid a majority of Caribbean ports if you want to hold a government accountable for its stance on Gay Rights (or lack thereof). In fact you should avoid America as well, as sad as that is to say.

Your decision to avoid Jamaica isn't really going to do anything to change the government's mind - just like we in the good old US of A have not yet been able to on a federal level get our Senators or Representatives to once and for all put an end to inequality - but it will hurt those whose well-being and ability to support their families depends on the tourists, through no fault of their own.

LOL. Yeah, us too. sometimes it's so nice to enjoy the peace and quiet of an empty ship while at port. On our last cruise, we only got off in Cozumel to have lunch at a favorite restaurant. The rest of the time, we had the ship to ourselves and relaxed in our cabana. It was heaven :)

For the first time ever, we plan to spend a day in port on the ship (Labadee). We were there last year on the Reflection post-thanksgiving cruise, and I was horrified to see the starving people on the other side of the barbed wire fence rubbing their bellies and begging for a plate of the food from the buffet. Kind of hard to luxuriate when faced with such abject poverty and hunger. All I could think was that I hoped Celebrity was donating any extra food to the local population. Although almost immediately, I realized the complications they could face with that -- hording, security concerns, food health & safety standards, etc. Just a very sad place to visit and while I do a good deal of volunteer work for the poor and sick at home in NY, I don't really want to fixate on these issues while on vacation. So on the ship we will stay.