Wardrobe Advice for Med Cruise in May

Here's the dilemma - I've been on a number of Caribbean cruises, always with the luxury of 2 packed bags each (read - 3 for me, 1 for DH). Our first Med cruise is coming up in less than a month and I'm having real trouble narrowing down the outfits (ok, and shoes) to fit into one checked bag and a carry on. (After the cruise we go on to Florence for 4 nights so know I must be fairly mobile, aka manage my own luggage:))

What is considered appropriate clothing for shore excursions/sightseeing in Greece, Malta, and Italy? I have read that shorts above the knee are not allowed in churches and are considered the mark of a tourist?

I do own several pairs of capris but feel they might be a bit warm for day wear in the Med in mid-May.

I like dresses (and have many for evening wear) but don't have the time or money to purchase a sundress for each day of the trip.

Suggestions - words of wisdom to share?

Capris won't be too warm in mid-May. (Nor, if they are lightweight, will they be too warm in summer....) I don't tend to wear shorts in the Med at all, but if I did it would only be in a beach/resort type setting, not in a city.

You're right in that knees (and shoulders) must be covered to enter churches in Greece and Italy -- or mosques, if you're going to the Eastern Med.

Nothing is more important, though, than good walking shoes or sandals. I usually take two pairs of them, just in case something happens to one pair (i.e., they get soaked, a strap breaks).

Think about how many churches you are planning on entering and sort out appropriate outfits for those days first. We are doing seven nights in the East Mediterranean in July and will be wanting to enter the mosques in Istanbul so for that day I have a dress, light cardigan and very comfortable sandals planned (plus a headscarf to pop into my handbag). That dress can also be dressed up with jewellery etc to be appropriate for dinner another night.

The rest of the time I don't mind looking like a tourist in knee length shorts. I think the camera and the fact I'm gawping at all the sights will be a dead giveaway anyway. Plus with all the walking in the hot sun that we are planning on doing, comfort is a priority! :p

Over the years I've picked up a number of nice pairs of knee length shorts from a local retailer that are ideal for travel and hot weather - http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/womens/trousers/shorts/johore-shorts-women-bark.html I also have a number of light knee length skirts from the same retailer so I'll be pairing them with tshirts and mix and matching them for our excursions.

I think the key thing is to first chose the outfits that would otherwise limit your activities if you get it wrong - then for the rest of the shore excursions aim to be decent, covered and comfortable! There is nothing worse than feeling hot and uncomfortable all day with no way to change!

A light weight sober beach wrap is also useful to wrap round shorts if you need a skirt, or to put over your head and/shoulders when necessary

Sandy in Spain

Think about how many churches you are planning on entering and sort out appropriate outfits for those days first. We are doing seven nights in the East Mediterranean in July and will be wanting to enter the mosques in Istanbul so for that day I have a dress, light cardigan and very comfortable sandals planned (plus a headscarf to pop into my handbag). That dress can also be dressed up with jewellery etc to be appropriate for dinner another night.

The rest of the time I don't mind looking like a tourist in knee length shorts. I think the camera and the fact I'm gawping at all the sights will be a dead giveaway anyway. Plus with all the walking in the hot sun that we are planning on doing, comfort is a priority! :p

Over the years I've picked up a number of nice pairs of knee length shorts from a local retailer that are ideal for travel and hot weather - http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/womens/trousers/shorts/johore-shorts-women-bark.html I also have a number of light knee length skirts from the same retailer so I'll be pairing them with tshirts and mix and matching them for our excursions.

I think the key thing is to first chose the outfits that would otherwise limit your activities if you get it wrong - then for the rest of the shore excursions aim to be decent, covered and comfortable! There is nothing worse than feeling hot and uncomfortable all day with no way to change!

Excellent advice....I have a number of summer weight scarves that will work as wraps when needed. I am definitely trying to avoid a long day of being hot and uncomfortable! Once we get off the ship, doubt we will return (mostly tenders).

I do own many summer dresses - I can wear them for work, and since I don't like shorts much, I prefer them for casual non-athletic events anywhere.

To minimize packing, I bring solid dresses (though maybe one print because I do love them:p) and skirts that can be mixed and matched. 3 total works great (1-2 dresses, 1-2 skirts - in my colors of black and khaki) On our Black Sea cruise, I brought a black cotton maxi skirt (narrow, not full) and it was great for mosques & monasteries (Meteora!) and I could wash it and have it dry reasonably quickly for re-wear (our cruise was 12 nights and we did 3 nights post-cruise in Venice and a couple nights pre-cruise in Athens) I still packed too much for that trip:rolleyes: I don't pack anything that can't be worn with at least 3 other things, I limit the colors I pack to ensure this mix & match ability, and yes, a couple of pairs of comfortable walking shoes are essential. Have fun!

Edited by Hoyaheel

I have been to the Mediterranean twice in May and agree with others that it's not really that hot yet. The exception would be places like Pompeii which are all ruins and no shade. For Pompeii I wore shorts, everyone there is a tourist. But for cities like Rome, you may want to fit in a bit more and to be wearing clothing that will be allowed inside churches. I often wore skirts or dresses with either yoga shorts or capri leggings underneath for comfort. Capri pants are also an option. And comfortable shoes. That's the biggest must.

Here's the dilemma - I've been on a number of Caribbean cruises, always with the luxury of 2 packed bags each (read - 3 for me, 1 for DH). Our first Med cruise is coming up in less than a month and I'm having real trouble narrowing down the outfits (ok, and shoes) to fit into one checked bag and a carry on. (After the cruise we go on to Florence for 4 nights so know I must be fairly mobile, aka manage my own luggage:))

What is considered appropriate clothing for shore excursions/sightseeing in Greece, Malta, and Italy? I have read that shorts above the knee are not allowed in churches and are considered the mark of a tourist?

I do own several pairs of capris but feel they might be a bit warm for day wear in the Med in mid-May.

I like dresses (and have many for evening wear) but don't have the time or money to purchase a sundress for each day of the trip.

Suggestions - words of wisdom to share?

Hello my friend Sandy:)....as you may know, I took my first cruise to

the Med in 2012...actually I went in May too:D..omg, next month will

be 2 years....where has the time gone?:eek:

I wore crops/capri's and cotton tops during the day for sightseeing.

If you want to look at some of my outfits? Click on Flickr in my signature

and go to the "EQUINOX to the Med" album. The capri's are cotton,

breathable and in my opinion, definitely appropriate. Now you know

I live in Florida so maybe I have more "summer clothing"...not sure what

materials your "warm capri's" are?.....I suggest cotton though;)....

the ones I brought with me were perfect! And it was quite warm out.

Oh, I brought a carry on and checked bag.....they were fine for me.

Hope you both have a fantastic cruise:)

Edited by Lois R

I have been to the Mediterranean twice in May and agree with others that it's not really that hot yet. The exception would be places like Pompeii which are all ruins and no shade. For Pompeii I wore shorts, everyone there is a tourist. But for cities like Rome, you may want to fit in a bit more and to be wearing clothing that will be allowed inside churches. I often wore skirts or dresses with either yoga shorts or capri leggings underneath for comfort. Capri pants are also an option. And comfortable shoes. That's the biggest must.

great thanks. we are going to take the train to Pompeii so will definitely wear my shorts that day! Is it too dusty/ bumpy for merrell sandals - would sneakers be more appropriate?

hi Lois! I remember your review of your cruise - which inspired me to put the Med on my must-do list!! so it was cooler in the Med than Florida in May??

I don't remember the exact temps...but it was very warm. I would have

been hot in pants during the day. And I live in the northern part of

the state......normally May is not the hottest time of the month here.

That would be July/August.

I just know it was hot in May but maybe that summer was unusual

for Europe.....I know my tourmates (who I met through the roll call)

also wore shorts and capri's.......

Check out these photos.....Greece, Italy, Turkey........

7278579850_a4d85dfe91_b.jpg

You can only see the top in this one but my bottoms are a kahki color

capri.....in the first picture they are blue.....lightweight cotton.

The first photo was in in Sicily....photo is in an area where part of

The Godfather was filmed.

This picture is in Greece...we went to the Acropolis and then to another area

(can't remember the name).

7278673992_05ea42ce7d_b.jpg

Edited by Lois R

This was taken at Ephesus....I am in shorts that come to my knees.

They are dark green.

I didn't go to any churches but as you can see, some of my cruisemates

also wore shorts.

7278713352_46660c494f_b.jpg

You shouldn't worry about looking like a tourist. You ARE a tourist and however you are dressed, your guide book / map in hand and your uncertainty over Euros as well as your accent will all be a dead giveaway!! Cities like Rome and Florence depend very much on tourists particularly as Italy has been going through a hard time and in the numerous times we've visited cities in Europe we've never felt there was a dress code we needed to follow but we've always worn an outfit appropriate for the weather. Check out the temperatures and wear whatever you'd wear at home in temps like that.

In Istanbul recently, I wore a knee-length skirt but I also wore a vest top so as we entered the Blue Mosque I was one of the many tourists who were offered wraps to wear. I think wear what you feel comfortable in and just take something in your bag to cover your knees / shoulders if you are entering a place of worship.