Best Cabin Location

suerich42

Hi all, I'm looking to book the 11 day Cook & Society Island cruise for January 24, 2015. Can anyone advise as to cabin #766 at the rear of deck 7? Also how much is it worth the extra for the B verandah cabins on deck 8?

Thanks for your help.

We have stayed in cabins from deck 4 to deck 8 and all of them were wonderful. Don't worry about where or which cabin you will stay in while cruising.

The ship while small is delightful and the crew is wonderful. Everything is very accessible from any deck. Noise is usually not a problem (exception: cabin 426 which has rushing water sounds in the am and late at night).

We are going back for our 7th cruise in September and can't wait!!!

We have stayed in cabins from deck 4 to deck 8 and all of them were wonderful. Don't worry about where or which cabin you will stay in while cruising.

The ship while small is delightful and the crew is wonderful. Everything is very accessible from any deck. Noise is usually not a problem (exception: cabin 426 which has rushing water sounds in the am and late at night).

We are going back for our 7th cruise in September and can't wait!!!

Thanks for your response. I was wondering if you ever heard that there was any problem with soot from the smokestacks from those staying in the cabins across the rear of deck 7. I know on some of the Celebrity ships, this has occurred and I wanted to get some feedback before I book #766.

Remember 766 will move up and down a bit more especially seeing you will have the long open water run between the Cooks and FP. Probably not a major issue unless your prone to getting sea sick.

Also the La Palette Lounge is just above you, probably not an issue if your not on your deck late at night while they are having Disco.

Never heard of any soot issues.

As mentioned, there really isn't a bad cabin on the ship, just know this is a small ship, thus it can bounce around a bit more in open water.

When those larger back balconies were created I have heard complaints of soot but this was a few years ago when they were first built. A friend is in one of them at this time and I shall ask her for her opinion.

I loved the deck 8 B category so much last year that I have booked it for this year. To me the advantage is that its so near the pool deck, Le Grill and La Palette. It was a big splurge for me as I have mostly travelled on deck 4 but I felt it worth it.

Whatever you book you will enjoy the cruise.

My fiance and I are booked in cabin 814, B category for the Dec 13-20 cruise this year. Our travel agent suggested the butler service category, but I have no idea if the extra cost is worth it yet. I hope it is! We are going the month before you, so I hope to have some tips for you when we come back. This is my first PG cruise (actually my first cruise ever) and I am counting the days!

My fiance and I are booked in cabin 814, B category for the Dec 13-20 cruise this year. Our travel agent suggested the butler service category, but I have no idea if the extra cost is worth it yet. I hope it is! We are going the month before you, so I hope to have some tips for you when we come back. This is my first PG cruise (actually my first cruise ever) and I am counting the days!

Thanks to all for your input. We have booked cabin #811 for the 11 day itinerary commencing on January 24, 2015. We'll be booking the IC Papeete for 2 days pre-cruise. I'm looking forward to planning our shore excursions and welcome any suggestions from past cruisers. There seem to be lots of repeat cruisers on PG, so I take that as a very positive sign of what we can expect.

• 1 year later...

SueRich 42: welcome back! Can I ask you what you thought of your veranda stateroom on deck 8? I think by now you're home and would love to know a couple of things:

Mainly, did you feel motion on the ship since those cabins are rather forward? I'll be on the 7 day PG cruise, so the waters may be calmer, but my husband gets seasick.

Also, did you feel the extra money was worth it, for the butler and larger veranda and room (I know that's a hard question to answer, and very subjective). We love sitting on the balcony, and the Category C balconies looked really small.

Thanks so much!!

First, let me say the trip was amazing, service impeccable and the food was the best we've experienced on any ship that we've sailed.

Cabin 811 was lovely, very spacious with lots of storage room. As far as the motion, we did feel some but it was very gentle and didn't seem to be any more than on deck 5 & 6 where most of the dining and other activities take place. I brought patches and medication and never did need them.

We didn't really have much use for a butler, but he was always available and would have taken care of most anything we needed. So we thought it was worth the extra for the great space and location and it's not an option to eliminate the extra cost for the butler.

The deck is very convenient to the pool and dining at LeGrille, which was our favorite place for breakfast, lunch and even afternoon tea!

Hope that helps some. When will you be making the trip?

As someone who has done 5 trips on the PG, 4 in a deck 4 window cabin, and one trip in a deck 8 B, I would say that the cabins aren't that much bigger. The best thing is being adjacent to the pool deck, I think. We hardly used our balcony because it was too hot and humid--if the ship was anchored and swinging around, the shade was not dependable and that tropical sun is a killer. We hardly used the butler, so for us, it's not worth it. Last trip we were back on deck 4 and loved our cabin.

For what it is worth, we recently sailed in a 3 deck cabin and thoroughly enjoyed it. 3 deck was very quiet and super convenient for the comings and goings on the tenders as they depart from 3 deck. Would happily stay on that deck again.:D

My husband and I were in cabin 814 last Dec, and we loved the location!

Being that close to the pool deck, Le Grill and La Palette in addition to a nice balcony was worth the extra cost. We didn't use the butler services much, but it was nice to know that if we needed anything, this service was available.

Of my 8 PG trips I have been twice on Deck 8 and 5 times on deck 4 and once on deck 6.

I love deck 8 for the bigger cabin and convenience especially if my DD is with us.

I love deck 4 for its ledge and convenient access to reception and shore ex.

deck 6 was not worth it as both the cabin and veranda are small.

All in all I love the PG and would happily stay in either deck 8 or deck 4.

First, let me say the trip was amazing, service impeccable and the food was the best we've experienced on any ship that we've sailed.

Cabin 811 was lovely, very spacious with lots of storage room. As far as the motion, we did feel some but it was very gentle and didn't seem to be any more than on deck 5 & 6 where most of the dining and other activities take place. I brought patches and medication and never did need them.

We didn't really have much use for a butler, but he was always available and would have taken care of most anything we needed. So we thought it was worth the extra for the great space and location and it's not an option to eliminate the extra cost for the butler.

The deck is very convenient to the pool and dining at LeGrille, which was our favorite place for breakfast, lunch and even afternoon tea!

Hope that helps some. When will you be making the trip?

What were your flights into and out of Tahiti if you used the PG air - what day and times?

We flew on Air Tahiti Nui from LAX at midnight, landing at 6:30 a.m. in Papeete. We had arranged for early arrival at the Intercontinental (highly recommended), where we spend the next two nights. It's a beautiful property and allowed us to adjust to the time change before the cruise.

We flew back to LAX on the 10:00 p.m. flight and then connected on a Delta flight back to Tampa. About the only good thing I can say about Air Tahiti Nui is that the flights were on time. Planes had pretty shabby interiors and the food was awful. The airport at Papeete is open air, very hot, and understaffed for the number of passengers on these flights. So about an hour on the check-in line is standard. We were prepared from former posts, so this was not a surprise. Just something to endure, but the rest of the trip made it worth the aggravation at the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Suerich,

My DH have planned a sailing on the PG on 7/5 - interesting to hear your feedback on AirTahini. I'm trying to get a deviation for our outbound flight to spend 2 days in Bora Bora prior to our cruise. We'll see how agreeable they are. I noticed you flew all the way east on your return home. We'll be flying LAX to Orlando - how much of a killer was your flight to Tampa from PPT via LAX? Worth taking Monday off?

We left Papeete at 10:00 p.m. and arrived at LAX about 8:30 the next morning. Then got the noon nonstop to Tampa, arriving near 8:00 p.m. My DH went to the office the next morning - I stayed home and did laundry. If you can take the day off, I'd recommend it for sure!!

We did the trip from Cincinnati in 2008, when we were 58, without taking any extra days. The trip to Tahiti wasn't awful, but in retrospect probably because we were excited about the trip and we knew we had tons of rest upcoming. The trip all the way back almost killed us. Working the remainder of the week was almost impossible. :eek: This time, we're taking extra days both there and back, but on the way back is almost essential now at our age.:o

• 1 year later...

Do you remember which cabin on deck 4 was good? We're in 426 and I've read it's the worse!

As someone who has done 5 trips on the PG, 4 in a deck 4 window cabin, and one trip in a deck 8 B, I would say that the cabins aren't that much bigger. The best thing is being adjacent to the pool deck, I think. We hardly used our balcony because it was too hot and humid--if the ship was anchored and swinging around, the shade was not dependable and that tropical sun is a killer. We hardly used the butler, so for us, it's not worth it. Last trip we were back on deck 4 and loved our cabin.

Really, any cabin on deck 4 is good except for that one cabin. It depends on light a sleeper you are. Some people are not bothered by the rushing sounds at 4 am. I was. The sound at 4 pm is less bothersome because most of the time you will be out of the cabin at that hour.

I would check to see what the availability of cabins is on deck 4 and then ask for a change prior to departure.

Glad to hear someone liked the 3rd deck, we are there for our cruise and are just glad to be on board in a nice quiet location :) .

3 cruises on deck 3. My favorite. Especially when boarding after a beach day.

• 2 weeks later...