Charge for ice/robes???

2 cruzen

Someone on our roll call said her friend just got off Sunshine and said there was a $30 charge to have ice in the cabin and also $30 charge for use of robes. No robes in the Spa area. I haven't seen anything on these boards so I figured if that was true, SOMEBODY would have been discussing it. :p

What say you Sunshine cruisers, true or false? This was two weeks ago.

There is a charge to use the spa and I am sure that for the price there are robes and towels included. The last Carnival cruise I took in January there were still robes in the cabin for our use and there was only a charge if you took it home.

There were two robes in our cabin for our use. No charge. But, no ice bucket in the room. So, no ice. Two bottles of water for purchase. No fridge. No canned soft drinks for purchase in the room. This was on the Sunshine, Feb. 9th. No ice bucket was different. I guess we could have asked for one but I noticed no ice being delivered on the entire hall. First time in many cruises. Very different.

Our last cruise was in December and robes were still provided. However, you had to ask for ice. The steward quickly provided it when asked, but he said they no longer provide it if it isn't requested.

The Christmas decorations appear earlier and earlier each year, why not April Fool's jokes?:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

The person on the roll call was skeptical too but since it came from her friend, she thought it was legit. That's why I asked. :D

My last 2 cruises one in Jan on the Splendor and in Feb on the Dream, there were robes in the staterooms. Splendor OV cabin 2 robes, we bought a spa pass. Dream inside spa cabin- 2 robes. Both cabins no ice, but once we requested it, it was delivered and filled twice a day. (gave cash with this request)

My robe was wet when I came back from the spa, so I left if with the wet towels in my cabin, the steward took it and didn't replace it until I asked. (gave cash with this request also) The same with the beach towel, I sent one off for washing and it wasn't replaced. I left the steward a note (with cash on it) and he replaced them.

This maybe a way for the stewards to try and increase their tips???? Not sure if anyone else feels this way :confused:

I usually give our Cabin Steward $10 on embarkation day when we first meet him or her and ask that we have fresh ice in the room at all times. Never had a problem. I would not tip my steward if I had to ask him to do something like replace my beach towel or robe. That should be done automatically! That's why except for the $10 up front for ice...I wait until the end of the cruise to tip extra. I guess we're just lucky because we have never had a problem with our room stewards in all our years of cruising. We're really friendly with our room stewards and always treat them with the respect they deserve. Geez, I hope I didn't just jinx us and next cruise we get a rotten steward! LOL!:D

We were told you have to ask for ice. So we did. Had ice every day without a charge.

You can call room service and ask for a bucket of ice. They will bring you one. The bucket is larger than the regular one in our cabin.

You will be charged $30 if you take a robe with you. Or $20 if you take a towel with you.

My last 2 cruises one in Jan on the Splendor and in Feb on the Dream, there were robes in the staterooms. Splendor OV cabin 2 robes, we bought a spa pass. Dream inside spa cabin- 2 robes. Both cabins no ice, but once we requested it, it was delivered and filled twice a day. (gave cash with this request)

My robe was wet when I came back from the spa, so I left if with the wet towels in my cabin, the steward took it and didn't replace it until I asked. (gave cash with this request also) The same with the beach towel, I sent one off for washing and it wasn't replaced. I left the steward a note (with cash on it) and he replaced them.

This maybe a way for the stewards to try and increase their tips???? Not sure if anyone else feels this way :confused:

I wouldn't have tipped more for those items to be replaced personally. I do too above the auto tips if deserved, but those items are supposed to be replaced when used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone on our roll call said her friend just got off Sunshine and said there was a $30 charge to have ice in the cabin and also $30 charge for use of robes. No robes in the Spa area. I haven't seen anything on these boards so I figured if that was true, SOMEBODY would have been discussing it. :p

What say you Sunshine cruisers, true or false? This was two weeks ago.

Absolutely false.

There were two robes in our cabin for our use. No charge. But, no ice bucket in the room. So, no ice. Two bottles of water for purchase. No fridge. No canned soft drinks for purchase in the room. This was on the Sunshine, Feb. 9th. No ice bucket was different. I guess we could have asked for one but I noticed no ice being delivered on the entire hall. First time in many cruises. Very different.

No ice bucket seems to be fleet-wide now on Carnival, but if you ask your cabin steward, an ice bucket will be placed in your cabin and will be refilled free of charge.

If you aren't happy increasing tips, then why did you tip up front? Did you think you wouldn't get those things if you didn't tip first?

I usually give our Cabin Steward $10 on embarkation day when we first meet him or her and ask that we have fresh ice in the room at all times.

Same here. We bring a small folding softside cooler aboard and ask the steward to keep it iced. We'll put cokes and champagne splits in the cooler. We also order a bucket of ice from room service early on (along with a snack and some cookies) and the steward keeps it filled as well.

There is a sign on the robes that say if you want one they are $30 ish dollars. So maybe they were confused. You can use the ones provided no charge. If you want to take one home be sure to go buy a new one.

As far as the ice goes, it has been about a year or so (maybe a bit longer) that they have taken the ice buckets from the cabins. However, if you ask your steward for ice they will bring it to you and change it twice daily like they have always done. NO CHARGE! I'm sure it reduces the work load on the Stewards not to have to fill a bunch of ice buckets that may never have gotten used. Also reduces the amount of wasted water used to make that unused ice.

We were told you have to ask for ice. So we did. Had ice every day without a charge.

You can call room service and ask for a bucket of ice. They will bring you one. The bucket is larger than the regular one in our cabin.

You will be charged $30 if you take a robe with you. Or $20 if you take a towel with you.

The robes are actually $50.

I wouldn't have tipped more for those items to be replaced personally. I do too above the auto tips if deserved, but those items are supposed to be replaced when used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always tip above the auto grats. Usually $20 first day and ask for ice, robes and towels were always replaced without asking, waited 2 days, no replacements, so asked and left a tip, then with the towels had to ask again with the note so left a tip.

If you aren't happy increasing tips, then why did you tip up front? Did you think you wouldn't get those things if you didn't tip first?
I never said I wasn't happy increasing the tips, we always do, and we tip when we first introduce ourselves, and again throughout the cruise. This is the first time service wasn't done automatically, so I found this odd and thought I'd put in my opinion on this thread as to my experience. I always thought it customary to tip when you have a request. Edited by canadiangal40
addition