Puerto Rico and Sea Glass

Luckyone2

I have read an article describing an area where sea glass can be easily found. Article: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-beach/ This area is called "Bajamar” or Playa de Bajamar. It is the area on the north side (front) of the Puerto Rico Capitol Building. Has anyone been to this area looking for sea glass. Although I love sea glass, I do not want to make any foolish decisions. Even the author of this article said to err on the side of caution. Since this article is not recent, I wonder if anyone could update me on the safety of this area.

Thanks!

Julie

Julie,

My DH and I have cruised the last three years out of SJU and each time we have gone seaglass hunting at the location across from the Capitol building. There have always been other looking for seaglass there and a few questionable people on the beach but we have never felt threatened. I have always brought back at least a gallon ziplock bag or two back from that beach. The best finds are after a storm!!! Walk all the way down the beach to the ruins of an old fortress in the water. It's a beautiful couple hours on the beach. I'll be ther on October 23rd!!!!!

Cheryl

Edited by SkiCruiser

Julie,

My DH and I have cruised the last three years out of SJU and each time we have gone seaglass hunting at the location across from the Capitol building. There have always been other looking for seaglass there and a few questionable people on the beach but we have never felt threatened. I have always brought back at least a gallon ziplock bag or two back from that beach. The best finds are after a storm!!! Walk all the way down the beach to the ruins of an old fortress in the water. It's a beautiful couple hours on the beach. I'll be ther on October 23rd!!!!!

Cheryl

While hunting for seaglass at this beach (across from Capitol Building), have you noticed if there are any good sea shells there as well?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you go to the left of the pier or to the right when exiting the ship?

On Grand Turk, go to the right while facing the island from the pier. Tons of sea glass, it comes in on the waves, watch for it and grab...lots of fun!

Do you go to the left of the pier or to the right when exiting the ship?

The Ship literally docks right on the beach. The sea glass is everywhere, just walk along the shoreline anywhere you want and you will find it with ease. To answer your question, just go to the right while facing the bow of the ship. This is where every typically hangs out. Walk about 400 yards to jacks shack, great spot for food, drink, umbrella, chairs and bathroom.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the beach by the federal building about a week ago. It was about 7:30 in the morning and the tide was high. I was with my 73 year old mom and 6 year old twins. Just a little ways down the beach, I see a man with a club in his hand and he looked a bit crazed. He was dressed in a polo and khakis but was glaring at us and didn't look friendly. We freaked out and quickly headed back to the stairs. He continued to follow us all the way up to the plaza. He didn't run after us but he was making it clear he did not want us on that beach. On the stairs we meet four other female cruisers ranging in ages from 20s to 50s. They agreed he looked crazy and the 8 of us just got out of there. I later spoke to a local woman and a female police officer. First, they laughed we were interested in sea glass! Second, they said many of the people on that beach were on drugs and we should just stay away. I can't imagine if he had come up behind us once we were on the beach as there is only one path out and the sand was less than 10 feet between the wall and the water. Yikes!

OK, this will seem like a dumb:( question, and I don't have time to check it out, but heres my question.

What is Sea glass? We will be in Grand Turk, and I want to check this out also. Is it on the way to the grave yard? What color is it?

DH and I went to the beach in San Juan across from the Capitol Building and I felt safe enough with him there, although I would've been a bit nervous if I was alone. It's right next to a very busy road but it's below the level of the road and there are trees and bushes that completely screen it. Really no different than anywhere else - stay alert to your surroundings and use your head.

Found lots of beautiful glass, though, including a lovely lavender piece. Not jewelry grade but I just put it all in a jar so I didn't care. DH also found a few small shells that he carried back (he has a shell collection going back 60 years) but I really can't comment as to whether it's a good "shell" beach. Still, we only stayed maybe 30 or 45 minutes and I filled both of my pockets (forgot to take a bag).

One thing - don't go to this beach barefoot! There is lots of fresh glass too. Apparently it's a big hangout for winos and they just throw their bottles into the water - which is probably why there's lots of sea glass.

We took a taxi to get there, and when we were done we waited around at a bus stop and finally flagged down another taxi - the buses are very undependable and don't really keep a schedule and we needed to get back to our hotel so we could check out and head to the ship.

If I ever get to Grand Turk I'll have to check out the beaches there. It's suddenly on my bucket list! I do love a good sea glass hunt..... :D

Edited by frisbeewife

OK, so if I am understanding this right, "sea glass" is glass from jar/bottles, etc. that has gone into the sea, and washed back up on the shore?

Basically, yes. But it isn't really considered sea glass until it's been in the water long enough and rolled around in the sand and among the rocks and has gotten a soft "frosted" sheen to it. And the edges have been smoothed. "Fresh" glass doesn't count. The ocean has to work on it for a while.

I've lived in Florida all my life and when I was little we would go to the beach and look for pretty shells. I couldn't begin to count how many times I'd pick up a piece of sea glass and my mother would say "That's just glass - throw it back". So I grew up thinking that stuff was junk - and now I love it but it's gotten harder to find. Sometimes I could cry thinking of all the large beautiful pieces of glass I probably threw back because my mother called it junk.

Of course, this is the same mother who walked the beaches in the early 1950's throwing away clumps of "rock" that probably contained all kinds of Spanish gold and silver, since that's the area where a lot of stuff was later found from shipwrecks. My family isn't known for having "vision".... :D