Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old July 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question New luggage smell

We just purchased new set of luggage (hard sided)for our upcoming cruise. The new luggage has a "new luggage smell". It is not a nice smell/odor and we wish to remove so all our belongings do not end up smelling like this. We have fabreezed it several times, but it still smells "funny" I thought if anyone knew how to get rid of this smell, it would the great people on these boards! Thanks for all advice/tips!

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

charcoal??? Baking Soda ? ? ?

Both are excellent for absorbing odors

Carnival Triumph 8/10
Crown Princess 10/08
Ocean Princess 11/2000
Grandeur of the Seas 8/99
Mercury 11/98 My favorite!
Century 10/97
Fascination- 10/96

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've read that if you take newspaper and ball the pages up and put them in the cases for a few days it will help. I'd also throw a few fabric softener sheets in them. We always store our cases with softener sheets in them.
Sitmar 5 cruises, Royal Caribbean 6 cruises, Home Lines 1 cruise, Diamond Princess LA-Hawaii Jan. 17, 2008, Diamond Princess Alaska Southbound May 31, 2008, Ruby Princess Transatlantic/Med. April 18, 2009,
& Med. April 19, 2010, Celebrity Eclipse Transatlantic Oct. 31, 2010, Emerald Princess Transatlantic September, 2012, Grand Princess Hawaii April, 2013,
Emerald Princess January, 2014
Ruby Princess January, 2014
Ruby Princess March 15 & 20, 2014 B2B
Ruby Princess September, 2014 Transatlantic
JULY 19TH, 2014--40TH ANNIVERSARY OF MY FIRST CRUISE!
UPCOMING: Regal Princess March 8 & 15, 2015 B2B

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:55 PM
20,000+ Club

We bought new luggage last year the hard sided made from plastic or fiberglass...they do smell
We put them out in the sun for a a couple of days then I put one of the bags with volcanic stones in them ...it did help.
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...-basement.html

I must get them out now and see if they have regained their smell

Old July 12th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

I totally can relate to your problem! I bought new luggage for our first cruise and the plasticky smell inside them almost made me want to gag. I did a search on these boards and didn't get any matches. I googled it however and got some pretty good tips. I put a small bowl of baking soda in each bag for a week or two and then newspapers for a few days. I'm not sure which one did the trick but it smelled MUCH better. I'm very sensitive to strong smells and to me Febreeze is just too fragrant. Now I store my suitcases with newspaper to absorb smells and a fabric softener sheet to freshen them. Maybe the two cancel each other out! Good luck!
Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera 2005, Grand Princess - Western Caribbean 2007, Crown Princess - Western Caribbean 2009, Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera 2010, Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean 2011, Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera April 2011, Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera December 2011, Sapphire Princess - Alaska September 2012, Crown Princess - Western Caribbean Jan 2013

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Why not just throw a fabric softener sheet in the luggage, close it and let it sit a few days? We always keep a fabric softener sheet in our luggage when we put it away after a trip. Smells nice for the next time we use it.

Old July 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

I did try just putting in fabric sheets, but it did not help at all. Thanks for everyone's great advice. We are going to try placing the luggage in the sun today and than crumple up the Sunday paper and try that. Thanks!

Old July 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
Why not just throw a fabric softener sheet in the luggage, close it and let it sit a few days? We always keep a fabric softener sheet in our luggage when we put it away after a trip. Smells nice for the next time we use it.
Some people are sensitive to fabric softener smells.

Old July 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

There are products at medical supply stores that hospitals use. Might be worth a try if all else fails. Smells B gone is one that is at our local hardware store, too.

Janet

Old July 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

If it were me, I would take it back to the store and get a refund and then go buy soft sided bags. With the new rules for weight regulations, I would want my bags to be as light as possible. Just my two cents.

Old July 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM
5,000+ Club

I clean out the suitcase using any standard household cleaner, let the suitcase dry out and then place the dryer sheets inside. I'ts usually Downy or the Walmart brand, which has scents that I like. I remove them after a few days and let the suitcase air out. Leaving them in the suitcase gives all the clothes and the case a really strong scent.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Sunshine 8/14
Carnival Breeze 8.13
Carnival Pride 3/13

Carnival Miracle 6/12
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 1/11
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 11/09
Carnival Glory 8/08
Carnival Imagination 11/06

Old July 21st, 2008, 12:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Last year before our cruise I purchased new luggage. We had the same issue with the smell. We used the Arm & Hammer Fresh Scent fabric freshener (like febreze) I thoroughly dowsed the insides once in the beginning & then twice a week after that. I kept the bags open for a month or so in a spare room. The first week or two there was little change in the smell and then after that it seemed to go away. Every time I walked in that room for something I gave the bags another couple of sprays. The best thing to do is keep the bags open.
If you have some time before you travel this would work but if you are leaving soon it's not for you.
Carnival Triumph~January 2007~W. Caribbean
Carnival Legend~February 2008~W. Caribbean
Carnival Destiny~February 2009~E.Caribbean
Carnival Miracle~February 7th, 2011~S.Caribbean
Dreams ~ Cancun, MX ~ January 2012
Riu Cancun ~ Cancun, MX ~ January 2013
Carnival Dream ~ W.Caribbean ~ January 4, 2014
Walt Disney World after Dream Cruise 1/11/14
Carnival Pride ~ June 2014 ~ E. Caribbean
Carnival Valor ~ February 2015 ~ S. Caribbean

Aquarium Countdowns from 123mycodes.com

Old July 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45014 View Post
If it were me, I would take it back to the store and get a refund and then go buy soft sided bags. With the new rules for weight regulations, I would want my bags to be as light as possible. Just my two cents.
Interestingly, my hard side luggage is lighter than most canvas/soft sides, it's one of the reasons I bought it.

Tee

Golden Princess --7 day Mexican Riviera
[IMG]http://*************************/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2007;10;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/IMG]

I take no more notice of the wind that comes out of the mouths of critics than of the wind expelled from their backsides.
~ Leonardo Da Vinci

Old July 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with putting the opened cases in the sun if you can. That will help. Baking soda may also help. I've also used a bowl of unused coffee grounds to remove odors of cigarette smoke from some items such as this. It might work. I store my suitcases with USED softener sheets. The smell is very mild that way.

Old July 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've used the crumpled up newspaper with great sucess. I have NO idea why it works but it does. I've used in drawers and cupboards that have an old house musty smell, and it works.

Old July 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you have a spare room in your house, open the luggage and leave it there for a couple of weeks. The odor will eventually dissapate (sp?). Leave the luggage open outdoors as much as possible. That will hasten the process.
Dolphin SeaBreeze 1993
Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 07/10/05
Oceania Regatta 1/28/07 LA > Miami
Celebrity Century 4/26/07 Miami>Amsterdam
HAL Volendam 9/01/07 Alaska Cruise Tour
HAL Zaandam 03/04/08 Circle Hawaii
Oceania Regatta 11/25/08 Amazon Adventure
Norwegian Sun 10/04/2010 London (Dover) > Port Canaveral b2b Western Caribbean

Next up:
Oceania Marina 12/10-22/2011 Sapphire Seas

Old July 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
50,000+ Club

The crumpled newpaper will work, given some time.

Old July 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

ANother thing to try is a bowl of white vinegar in the closed bag. Never tried it with luggage but it has worked in a room that had cat pee smell in it.

Old July 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Not a fan of the febreeze smell either. We bought new luggage two years ago and I sprayed the inside with the lavender water that I use in my iron, Then left them open in the sun for a day. After I packed them with a few of the lavender laundry sachets ( Trader Joe's) I always pack with these, it makes clothes smell great and is not over powering.

Old July 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

WOW.....now these are some great tips !!!!! Let me just add a word of caution about a problem I encountered last year. I had bought a new pair of slippers....you know the kind that are made of terry, open backed and open toe and had placed them in our guest room for a week or so prior to packing. No problem there. Then I packed them in a small suitcase with all my items for pre cruise use. When we got to our hotel and opened that suitcase......the smell was horrible......a very strong chemical smell coming from the slippers and permeating all the clothes. I threw the slippers in the trash and sent all the clothes to be cleaned by our hotel (at a huge price, might I add) but worth it since the smell was awful. So beware, about packing anything new, that is rubberized. Something about "the trip" brought out awful odors in the soles of those slippers. Yuk. gg