New York City Pass - Is It Worth It?

babs135

We're in the early stages of planning our trip to the Big Apple and would appreciate any advice regarding the City Pass. We will be in New York for 3 days, one of which is Christmas Day, so I'm wondering if that would make any difference to which, if any, of the passes we purchase?

I've been to New York before and know how exhausting it can be so want to organise some sort of itinerary before we go so that we are not running around like headless chickens!!

Some of the places we want to visit will be Top of the Rock, Ground Zero (A definite must), USS Intrepid (to make up for dragging DH round the shops), 3 or 4 museums (not decided which), perhaps a couple of guided tours, you get the idea. With this in mind would you say the Pass is a good thing?

Nearer the time I may well post some sort of itinerary to see if you think it is 'doable'.

BTW we have taken into consideration the shopping; we arrive on the QM2 and plan to spend that day shopping, including taking in the Christmas Windows, and we will have about 3 hours to spare before we have to leave for the airport so we should be ok. I did promise DH it wouldn't be all about the shops :D

Thanks

Compare the cost of the ticket to places you will definitely visit.

That what we've been doing for our upcoming visit and have found that you really need to move around and visit multiple attractions to make a one or two day pass worth it.

I am going to advise against getting a pass for a few reasons:

- Lots of museums and attractions will be closed on Christmas Day, limiting your use of the pass

- The city will be packed, you will wait in longer lines to get into museums, attractions, and restaurants. Holiday time is not ideal for trying to pack in a lot of activity unless you want to end up frustrated and disappointed.

- It will take you longer to get from point A to point B because of the crowding, not only are their gridlock alert days which will effect taxis and buses but the subway will also be very full as it will run on a Sunday schedule on Christmas day which means less trains.

- If it snows the sidewalks get a lot narrower so getting around those Christmas windows and displays will be very slow.

- The 9/11 museum is not included in any of the passes that I am aware of and if that is a must do a pass won't help you.

- If you are over 65 years old you can get senior discounts at most sites which can save you some $$

- If you are in NYC on a Friday a few museums have "Free Friday" evenings, yes the lines will be long especially around Christmas but free is free.

If I were in your position I would make a prioritized list of what I wanted to do, from 1 to 10, and work your way down from the top ensuring you get in your most important items and not leaving you too stressed out if you don't make it to number 10.

I have pre-ordered a New York Explorer pass 5 attractions from Smart Destinations for my up coming pre-cruise visit in October and notice that apart from Top of the Rock & The Empire State Building virtually everything else is closed on Xmas Day so you will need to plan accordingly but at least unlike London they do have some public transport running on Xmas Day!

I agree with others that attractions will be packed that time of year, tourism is very high around the holidays. I would really reconsider trying to visit so many museums and concentrate on a few priorities. Better to do a handful of things and enjoy them rather than rushing through a dozen IMO.

And I love the window displays but I would caution you that they will be very crowded so close to the holidays with lines to view some of them and congested sidewalks, so you shouldn't plan to view them and also do much shopping in just 3 hours. Whenever I've set out to view them with guests, I've had to devote at least half a day to it and we don't even try to do any significant shopping (just browse the holiday markets a bit).

I am going to advise against getting a pass for a few reasons:

- If you are over 65 years old you can get senior discounts at most sites which can save you some $$

If I were in your position I would make a prioritized list of what I wanted to do, from 1 to 10, and work your way down from the top ensuring you get in your most important items and not leaving you too stressed out if you don't make it to number 10.

Thanks everyone for your very valid comments. Seems to me that on this occasion the Pass is not of much use. Does the over 65s discount apply to overseas visitors? Will the shops stay open late in the run up to Christmas?

I think I need to sit down with DH and DD and decide what we all want to see. Almost certainly will come back with loads of questions, but here's one to start with. Do you think it would be possible to do Ground Zero, USS Intrepid and perhaps one more attraction in a day?

Thanks everyone for your very valid comments. Seems to me that on this occasion the Pass is not of much use. Does the over 65s discount apply to overseas visitors? Will the shops stay open late in the run up to Christmas?

I think I need to sit down with DH and DD and decide what we all want to see. Almost certainly will come back with loads of questions, but here's one to start with. Do you think it would be possible to do Ground Zero, USS Intrepid and perhaps one more attraction in a day?

Possible, yes. Advisable, no. IMHO.

the 9/11 museum is now open. If you've not been, there's a lot to do in the area. I would plan at least two hours for the 9/11 site, without the museum. Some of that is travel and wandering the area, but that would be my planning factor.

Unless you're just going to superficially visit the Intrepid, plan a half day. Stating the obvious, it's an aircraft carrier; it's big! There's a lot to see, and it's further from things than you think.

So, that's 5-6 hours for planning, without fully accounting for travel, or lunch. You "might" add a twilight/evening visit to Top of the Rock, but I certainly wouldn't count on another attraction.

When you say "shopping", what do you mean? The major department stores (Macy's, Saks, Bloomingdales) will be open late before Christmas; the boutiques on Madison, not so much.

We've spent many Christmas seasons in Manhattan, and will be there again this year. It's a beautiful city and a great time to visit, but you will not be able to do as much as you're thinking.

Possible, yes. Advisable, no. IMHO.

the 9/11 museum is now open. If you've not been, there's a lot to do in the area. I would plan at least two hours for the 9/11 site, without the museum. Some of that is travel and wandering the area, but that would be my planning factor.

Unless you're just going to superficially visit the Intrepid, plan a half day. Stating the obvious, it's an aircraft carrier; it's big! There's a lot to see, and it's further from things than you think.

So, that's 5-6 hours for planning, without fully accounting for travel, or lunch. You "might" add a twilight/evening visit to Top of the Rock, but I certainly wouldn't count on another attraction.

When you say "shopping", what do you mean? The major department stores (Macy's, Saks, Bloomingdales) will be open late before Christmas; the boutiques on Madison, not so much.

We've spent many Christmas seasons in Manhattan, and will be there again this year. It's a beautiful city and a great time to visit, but you will not be able to do as much as you're thinking.

Thanks for prompt reply. Guess it's back to the drawing board again. We knew it would be busy, but from what you and others are saying, it sounds like it's going to be craaazy!! Still, someone did say that everyone should experience a Christmas in New York, and whether we manage half or even a quarter of what we would like to do I'm sure it's going to be fun.

Shopping is mainly things like trainers (sneakers?) and denim jeans; anything else would be a bonus.

And while I'm typing away - is it worth going to see the Rockettes Christmas Show (I think that's what they call it) or would we find it too American - whatever that means.

Can't believe I forgot the most important piece of shopping; electronics:o.

We want to replace our Tablets so intend to visit B&H where we've been before and got a really good deal. The prices are ridiculously cheap when compared with here in the UK and I suspect DH, closely followed by DD, will want to make it the first stop.

Does the over 65s discount apply to overseas visitors?

Yes it does, just be sure to have some sort of valid ID on you - passport or driver's license.

You will have a amazing time, NYC is wonderful around the holidays, wonderful but crowded.

Thanks for prompt reply. Guess it's back to the drawing board again. We knew it would be busy, but from what you and others are saying, it sounds like it's going to be craaazy!! Still, someone did say that everyone should experience a Christmas in New York, and whether we manage half or even a quarter of what we would like to do I'm sure it's going to be fun.

Shopping is mainly things like trainers (sneakers?) and denim jeans; anything else would be a bonus.

And while I'm typing away - is it worth going to see the Rockettes Christmas Show (I think that's what they call it) or would we find it too American - whatever that means.

The Radio City show is aimed at tourists so I think you will do fine It is many small acts so one of the acts might be too cheesy for your tastes but then a few minutes later the next act will be something different. It always ends with the living nativity with live animals including camels so in the end it is about the universal meaning of Christmas.

Was in NYC yesterday. On the way to the Empire SB we were continually approached by people who wanted to sell us express passes. One told us there was a 90 minute wait. Another told us he was the building supervisor and had to get the express pass. We did not. The regular admission ($29) worked just fine as there was no wait until we got to the 80th floor where there was a 15 minute wait for the elevator to go to the 86th floor. If you are in reasonable shape, you can skip the line and walk the six stories. If there really was a 90 minute wait, the extra $10pp might have been worth it. For the 15 minutes we spent on line, it was not. You can also buy these tickets in advance.

Guest maddycat

All of the advice that you have received so far is excellent. The entire city will be very crowded. It can be very frustrating. Everything will take longer than usual. Sightseeing will be much more tiring. Make sure that you wear very comfortable walking shoes or boots and very warm clothing.

If your interested in buying trainers (sneakers) you should go to DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse). They have several stores in NYC including one on 14th St. and another on 34th St. They have an excellent selection and great prices. The link to their website is below.

http://www.dsw.com/

Edited by maddycat

City pass is only good if you want to visit those particular attractions only.

I get myself the New York Pass, not city pass and don't get confuse.

It allows you to visit any 80+ attractions available around NYC, even some in Brooklyn.

Best tactic is go visit the attractions on 1 area, don't waste time to commute from 1 place to another. Plan ahead which place you want to visit in a day.

I bought the 3 days pass and went to $250+ worth of places in admission.

Top of the Rock, MoMA, ESB, New York Water Taxi, Madame Mussades, some Tours (Tours are interesting but don't do it if you don't have much time to spend) and also Intrepid Air, Space Museum.

So Top of the Rock, Rockfeller Center, MoMa, Times Square are in 1 area which I will spend there in Day 1

Day 2, I took the City Sighting bus down to ESB and skyrider (skyride is waste of time), then jump back on the bus to go down to 911 memorial (not includes in NY pass), but Itook tons of photo outside. Wall Street, NYPD museum, etc...

Day 3, I took the Water taxi down, tooks tons of photo in front of statue of liberty and back at pier and walk up to visit the Intrepid Air and space museum.

Not to mention, the NY pass gives you $10 off at Planet Hollywood and some savings at other restaurants in town.

I recommend New York Pass, you just have to do your homework, plan accordingly to maximize the value or your New York Pass.

I was there at the July 4 wk-end....ESB are very crowded.

Advice is to head out very early at the opening and get to the front of the line.

City pass is only good if you want to visit those particular attractions only.

I get myself the New York Pass, not city pass and don't get confuse.

It allows you to visit any 80+ attractions available around NYC, even some in Brooklyn.

Best tactic is go visit the attractions on 1 area, don't waste time to commute from 1 place to another. Plan ahead which place you want to visit in a day.

I bought the 3 days pass and went to $250+ worth of places in admission.

Top of the Rock, MoMA, ESB, New York Water Taxi, Madame Mussades, some Tours (Tours are interesting but don't do it if you don't have much time to spend) and also Intrepid Air, Space Museum.

So Top of the Rock, Rockfeller Center, MoMa, Times Square are in 1 area which I will spend there in Day 1

Day 2, I took the City Sighting bus down to ESB and skyrider (skyride is waste of time), then jump back on the bus to go down to 911 memorial (not includes in NY pass), but Itook tons of photo outside. Wall Street, NYPD museum, etc...

Day 3, I took the Water taxi down, tooks tons of photo in front of statue of liberty and back at pier and walk up to visit the Intrepid Air and space museum.

Not to mention, the NY pass gives you $10 off at Planet Hollywood and some savings at other restaurants in town.

I recommend New York Pass, you just have to do your homework, plan accordingly to maximize the value or your New York Pass.

I was there at the July 4 wk-end....ESB are very crowded.

Advice is to head out very early at the opening and get to the front of the line.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I certainly hadn't realised there were 2 different Passes :o Will definitely have a look at the one you've mentioned, but you are right; whatever we decide to do has to be grouped within the same area of NY to try and avoid too much travelling.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I certainly hadn't realised there were 2 different Passes :o Will definitely have a look at the one you've mentioned, but you are right; whatever we decide to do has to be grouped within the same area of NY to try and avoid too much travelling.

Ok, just checked and I've got confused (DH says what's new!). Its the New York Pass my original question referred to, NOT the City Pass :o. Do wonder at the sense of calling 2 things by such similar names, but that's a different question. The Citypass is no good as not everything appeals to everyone. DH says there are too many museums!!!!!

There are tons of attractions to visit with NY pass. Skip the museums if that's not on your interest list.

Take the cab if you need to go from 1 place to another, it is not expensive at all. Cost me less than $10 tip included from Times Square to Pier 39 for NY Water Taxi. Less walking and save more energy for the day. :D

Living so close to NYC, we usually go to see the Rockette Christmas Spectacular every few years as they are always changing a few of the musical numbers. Yes the show is really about the meaning of Christmas and will put you in a very festive mood. The Rockettes and the Nativity scene at the end are amazing. Is it too touristy, it all depends how you feel about the meaning of Christmas. The theater itself is truly stunning, when you walk into that lobby, you are in awe and it's NYC landmark. This show has been around for decades so that should tell you something.

Have a wonderful time in NYC.