Canada/New England - Summer vs Fall?

I am assuming that it is too cold to use the pool deck during the Fall cruises but if you go in the summer is it too hot to enjoy walking tours of the various ports? When is the best time to go? Any tips about really good or bad experiences with different ships/cruiselines to Canada/New England?

I thought the best time to visit Canada/New England was in the fall because of the changing of the colours.

We visited in mid May. The temperatures were pleasant and we could use the pool. But I will have to go back in the fall to see the changing of the colours.

If you are concerned it will be to cold to use the pool in the fall you could choose a ship with a solarium/pool area with glass sliding roof.

My kids used the pool in alaska in May, so I'm sure New england will be fine. Most pools are heated. You may not want to lounge in your wet suit by the pool though.

Fall is pretty with all the trees. We went in summer though and it was still gorgeous.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

I am assuming that it is too cold to use the pool deck during the Fall cruises but if you go in the summer is it too hot to enjoy walking tours of the various ports? When is the best time to go? Any tips about really good or bad experiences with different ships/cruiselines to Canada/New England?

Holland America has three ships that sail Canada/NE at least a few cruises each season. They all have a main Lido Deck Pool with retractable glass roof. They can fully or partially open and close the roof according to the weather and the pool is used all year.

The three ships to look at for those itineraries are Maasdam, Veendam and Eurodam.

Canadian here. Our autumns can vary widely. It might be crispy-cool at night with light jacket weather during the day. Or you could hit our Indian summer and never need anything warmer than shorts and a t-shirt. Depends on the year - we like to say, "If you don't like the weather, wait a bit, it will change."

If you have never come this way before, I definitely recommend the early fall - mid-Sept to mid-Oct. The colours of the changing leaves will blow your eyes out - it is our most beautiful time of year.

We've lived in Boston all our lives and had one of our hottest summers last year. And one of our coldest winters this year. :rolleyes: It is impossible to know what you will encounter. You can look at historical averages and 'hope for the best'. :)

I would shoot for the first or second week in October. The colors are glorious! If you go much later, the colors will be past their peak, many of the shops and restaurants will be closed for the season and it will be pretty cold by the time you get to Canada. :)

This years our colors didn't come until nearly the end of October.

But most years our leaves start to change at the end of September and the first week of October.

One year we did Canada/New England the third week of October. Most of the leaves had changed by that time. Otherwise the weather was clear, chilly.