glacier bay last year should i do fjord this year

ehobbs1970

ok last year I did 10 day sf to sf to glacier bay. the trip was planned with my mom but at the last minute she was sick and couldn't make it so took sister instead. the trip was beautiful - you are so close to the blue ice face all day - we had difficulty even describing it to our families when we got home. any how I am thinking of taking my mom this time bc she is better - on another 10 day and am debating if I should change it up and go to fjord instead. I sort of don't want to do the same thing but it really was awesome. just wanted to hear ideas input etc

I'm booked for July 5th for our first Alaska cruise with Tracy Arm scheduled. Now I've read that ice/weather often prevents ships from entering the fjord.

Your mom hasn't seen Glacier Bay and you said it was so awesome as to defy description. I'd think the glacier would possibly be a different spectacle under different weather and lighting from sunshine/clouds.

If you go to Juneau you can book a small boat excursion to Tracy Arm and see it in addition to Glacier Bay.

I'm booked for July 5th for our first Alaska cruise with Tracy Arm scheduled. Now I've read that ice/weather often prevents ships from entering the fjord.

Your mom hasn't seen Glacier Bay and you said it was so awesome as to defy description. I'd think the glacier would possibly be a different spectacle under different weather and lighting from sunshine/clouds.

If you go to Juneau you can book a small boat excursion to Tracy Arm and see it in addition to Glacier Bay.

Additional details- cruise ship usually DO enter Tracy Arm, contrary to above. But, many times they don't get past Sawyer Island, which allows only a distant partial view of the South Sawyer Glacier. Cruise ships never see the North Sawyer. the add on Tracy Arm ship excursion is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit, mostly allowing closer glacier viewing and superior for wildlife.

There are few cruise ship schedules that allow the better tour, with Adventure Bound, ideally needing a 7-7 port time. There is a shorter (and faster) tour, sometimes available. BUT- "time" is a very important feature of this tour.

ok last year I did 10 day sf to sf to glacier bay. the trip was planned with my mom but at the last minute she was sick and couldn't make it so took sister instead. the trip was beautiful - you are so close to the blue ice face all day - we had difficulty even describing it to our families when we got home. any how I am thinking of taking my mom this time bc she is better - on another 10 day and am debating if I should change it up and go to fjord instead. I sort of don't want to do the same thing but it really was awesome. just wanted to hear ideas input etc

I always recommend , with Tracy Arm- it is a superior experience to book the add on ship excursion. It is a very beautiful fjord and worthwhile in my opinion. I also recommend being out on deck this day, and enjoy some humpback sightings, my stats run about 100% success. :)

any how I am thinking of taking my mom this time bc she is better - on another 10 day and am debating if I should change it up and go to fjord instead. I sort of don't want to do the same thing but it really was awesome. just wanted to hear ideas input etc
I was in a similar situation and did Tracy the following year as a comparison... Thoughts....

• instead of doing a 100% repeat.... try going to different ports... like Vancouver?
  • Some HAL/Princess Glacier Bay cruises offer a side excursion to Tracy Arm in a small boat, while the mothership continues to Juneau.
  • glacier seekers must go to Glacier Bay.... the TA Sawyer glacier is very tiny after retreating 31 miles and difficult to reach early in the season with ice congestion.
  • Tracy Arm is available as an all day excursion from Juneau.
  • photo's don't give justice to that brilliant blue colour from a glacier. I found the blue was like looking Cinderella's dress.

[YOUTUBE]2QGGbT5HGxY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Additional details- cruise ship usually DO enter Tracy Arm, contrary to above. But, many times they don't get past Sawyer Island, which allows only a distant partial view of the South Sawyer Glacier. Cruise ships never see the North Sawyer. the add on Tracy Arm ship excursion is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit, mostly allowing closer glacier viewing and superior for wildlife.

There are few cruise ship schedules that allow the better tour, with Adventure Bound, ideally needing a 7-7 port time. There is a shorter (and faster) tour, sometimes available. BUT- "time" is a very important feature of this tour.

Thank you for motivating me to get off the fence and book this now. We're on Carnival Legend and they offer this as a Juneau excursion but actually takes place while we are in Tracy Arm. It is only 3 hours and they pick us up right along-side the ship.

I fired off an email requesting to book for us 3, just hope I'm not too late? This and White Pass/Bennett Lake will make this our best cruise ever.

In my book, one visit is not enough, I would not hesitate to do it again.

You can do both. If you are going to Juneau and the ship is doing a short stop at the entrance to Tracy Arm - you can do a ship excursion up Tracy Arm. It's a little pricey, but well worth the money.

The excursion is run by Allan Marine on a smaller boat. We got so close and were able to see a some spectacular calving of the glacier. You will still have a little bit of time to see downtown Juneau when you return, if you want. It was one of the best Alaska excursions we've been on.

bolding mine

Many people who go to Alaska go back many times, and of course repeat itineraries. To me, it sounds like Glacier Bay was the highlight of your trip. Wouldn't you love to share that with your mother? As others have noted, no trip is the same as any other, each offers new experiences -- even going to the same destinations. And, if you are so inclined, you might be able to take the small boat tour of Tracy Arm. So my suggestion? Do Glacier Bay again, and if you really want to see Tracy Arm, look into the small boat tour.

Thank you for motivating me to get off the fence and book this now. We're on Carnival Legend and they offer this as a Juneau excursion but actually takes place while we are in Tracy Arm. It is only 3 hours and they pick us up right along-side the ship.

I fired off an email requesting to book for us 3, just hope I'm not too late? This and White Pass/Bennett Lake will make this our best cruise ever.

Carnival has a very nice itinerary for Tracy Arm, since it's on it's own day and not combined with Juneau (in the past??). Plus being the cheapest add on compared to a one way Juneau.

They do have double the capacity since they run it both ways.

IF your port times are similar- with a mid morning entry, I always see humpbacks during the cruise ship sailing. Recommended you be out on deck several hours prior and after Tracy Arm, it's all scenic sailing anyway. (too nice to miss :) )

We alternate, one year we do Tracy Arm and the next year we do Glacier Bay. This year it’s Glacier Bay. If you do go to Tracy Arm be sure and check into the small boat tour that loads from the ship up in Tracy Arm, it’ll be listed on your online excursion list if it’s available. The small boat gets you right up to the face of the glacier. It’s worth every penny of what it costs. Of all the times we’ve been up in Tracy Arm we’ve never been past Sawyer island on the big cruise ship.

Glacier Bay is beautiful and you spend usually most of a day there, however, HUBBARD glacier was great as well and it was calving alot the day we went! and the Fjords/Tracy Arm was only good because we took a private tour to see it on a small boat via our ship, the ship was unable to get very close to it.

I say if you loved Glacier Bay take your mom there or google Hubbard, it was beautiful too.

good luck!:)