Foodies in Nassau

brenderlou

Argh, I just found em two cruises ago and I won't be back til March. I guess I'll try Athena Cafe next.

I don't have confirmation other than what someone posted on TripAdvisor so it may or may not be true- Can't find any other info, tried googling it

http://www.graycliff.com/

If you really want to go all out, you can go here. Its expensive though. I've only heard of this place, but never been.

Fantastic lunch or dinner, One of the best wine cellars I have ever seen (this place has made the Wine Spectator list for more consecutive years than any other)

The owner is a cheese "nut" he travels around the world and collects some of the best cheeses I have ever tasted (he has about 6 that have black truffle and they are amazing).

Yes it is pricey but as with anything you get what you pay for, at a minimum give it a chance at lunch and ask for a tour of the wine cellar (also be sure to walk in the courtyard and see the first swimming pool in the Bahamas, it is hand laid tiles and is beautiful)

This is an excellent tour if you have the time:

https://www.trubahamianfoodtours.com/

Looks really interesting Bob! Thanks for the link! I tried it

and clicked on chat...but got no response. Will try again.

Did you do the cooking class? How did you like it? We LOVE doing

the cooking classes in the islands.

Just got an answer back, the cooking class is sold out for our

arrival date. But will try it again the next time we are there! :)

Edited by island lady

Looks really interesting Bob! Thanks for the link! I tried it

and clicked on chat...but got no response. Will try again.

Did you do the tour? How did you like it? We LOVE doing

the cooking classes in the islands.

Yes, we did the tour and enjoyed it very much. The next cruise, we went back to one of the restaurants (whose name escapes me) for lunch and it was excellent.

This particular tour was recommended to us by Carol (Merion Mom).

Have walked several times to Arawak village. Great fresh fried

local fish! :)

We have also ventured down the other way, just below the bridge

that goes over to Atlantis. There is a string of shanty type shacks

along the water that serve fresh conch/conch salads. You can see

the little boats right behind them as they unload the conchs. Right

from the boat, chopped, and right onto your plate. Yums!

Have another favorite, taken a bit of a longer taxi ride to the Poop

Deck (not the one near the bridge, it's the other way up to the yacht

marina area at Sandyport). Fantastic local food on an open patio of the hotel

right on the water. :)

Edited by island lady

Yes, we did the tour and enjoyed it very much. The next cruise, we went back to one of the restaurants (whose name escapes me) for lunch and it was excellent.

This particular tour was recommended to us by Carol (Merion Mom).

Oops...I edited too late. I was talking about the cooking class...though

the tour looks great also! :)

We have also ventured down the other way, just below the bridge

that goes over to Atlantis. There is a string of shanty type shacks

along the water that serve fresh conch/conch salads. You can see

the little boats right behind them as they unload the conchs. Right

from the boat, chopped, and right onto your plate. Yums! ...

+1 on this area, which I believe is called Potter's Cay.

You can walk it if you do not want to take a bus. One of the restaurants was on the cooking show. Conch salad, conch fritters, conch most anything GOOD but it is not gourmet just home cooking.

PS Nassau restaurants are EXPENSIVE

Café Matisse. Although it serves Italian food, not French. We have been there for both lunch and dinner. I now hesitate to recommend it, having once told a couple about it in the Concierge Club, and having him show up for lunch in a tank top (the nice description). :eek:

Many of the people that lunch there look to be working professionals and they are nicely dressed. It is walking distance from the ship, close to the Police station on Bank Lane.

This place gets good reviews. We did not get a chance to try it as we had limited time when we were there last month. We went to Lukka Kaira right on the waterfront and it was very good

http://bahamiancookin.com/

+1 for Bahamian Cookin

Their food is awesome. Get some Switcha to drink too. We also recommend the food tour & Athena's.

Edited by mawsmama

I keep looking at videos regarding Fish Fry and damage from Hurricane Matthew. Is Fish Fry up and running again?? We will be in Nassau in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nassau didn't have that much damage from Matthew. It was Freeport that got hit so hard. The Fish Fry should be fine.

Great thread!!

Wanted to do the food tour (which was recommended to me by a non cruiser) next time we are in Nassau. Good to hear that Carol recommends it too (and Bob).

The other stop we have to do is the John Waitling´s Rum Factory. This time for the shop only - to restock our "supplies" ;).

steamboats

Mmm...making me hungry!! :)

Will try again to book the cooking class, found it was already

booked for our upcoming OA cruise, but hope to get in for our next

MJ cruise. Waiting to hear back from them on my email request.

Edited by island lady

Great thread!!

Wanted to do the food tour (which was recommended to me by a non cruiser) next time we are in Nassau. Good to hear that Carol recommends it too (and Bob).

The other stop we have to do is the John Waitling´s Rum Factory. This time for the shop only - to restock our "supplies" ;).

steamboats

FYI-there's a liquor store down by the Tortuga shop that sells Watlings for the same price as the distillery. Save you a trip up there unless you want to do the tour again.

FYI-there's a liquor store down by the Tortuga shop that sells Watlings for the same price as the distillery. Save you a trip up there unless you want to do the tour again.

We have yet to find any Distillery in the Islands sell Rum for less than you can buy in port. Also, we found our Total Wine store to be even cheaper that the Islands including the tax. I.E., Mount Gay 1703 was almost $200 at the Distillery and was unavailable in the port (but sold for $160). Total Wine had the same 1703 Mount Gay for $99.

We have yet to find any Distillery in the Islands sell Rum for less than you can buy in port. Also, we found our Total Wine store to be even cheaper that the Islands including the tax. I.E., Mount Gay 1703 was almost $200 at the Distillery and was unavailable in the port (but sold for $160). Total Wine had the same 1703 Mount Gay for $99.

I found Mount Gay cheaper here in Germany. But no Waitlings available over here.

steamboats

We buy our rum in St. Maarten. IMHO the best place was the shop right on the dock

where the water taxis come in to the boardwalk area. Much cheaper than

Nassau, and cheapest of all the liquor shops in town there.

Edited by island lady

We buy our rum in St. Maarten. IMHO the best place was the shop right on the dock

where the water taxis come in to the boardwalk area. Much cheaper than

Nassau, and cheapest of all the liquor shops in town there.

Which ones and size/price. I would like to compare to Total Wine prices. I haven't found anything cheaper than at Total Wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums