50th Wedding Anniversary gift

droha12

My siblings and I are considering what gift we will get our parents for their 50th wedding anniversary next year. One of their goals was to see all 50 states but they do not fly. So we are considering cruises to Hawaii or Alaska leaving from the west coast. But we are not cruisers so we have no idea if this is even possible. Which state would be a better option for their first cruise? What would be considered a decent cost for a cabin with a view? Is the cost per person or per cabin? How much should we expect to pay for shore excursions? I'd talk to a travel agent but I would like to know beforehand what we could expect to pay and what ships would be better for seniors with mobility issues.

My siblings and I are considering what gift we will get our parents for their 50th wedding anniversary next year. One of their goals was to see all 50 states but they do not fly. So we are considering cruises to Hawaii or Alaska leaving from the west coast. But we are not cruisers so we have no idea if this is even possible. Which state would be a better option for their first cruise? What would be considered a decent cost for a cabin with a view? Is the cost per person or per cabin? How much should we expect to pay for shore excursions? I'd talk to a travel agent but I would like to know beforehand what we could expect to pay and what ships would be better for seniors with mobility issues.

Alaska from SF on Oceania Regatta in mid-summer would hit 4 states (CA, OR, WA, AK). O will give you a credit for their included airfare. Pick the right TA and dates and you'll also get free gratuities and shipboard credit from O and additional shipboard credit from the TA.

O is a premium cruise line (vs a mass market one) known for its food, service and port intensive itineraries. The cabin price (per person) will be higher than the mass market lines. But, there is no nickle/dime extra charges for specialty restaurants and all-non-alcoholic beverages are included. Also, there are less than 700 passengers and a demographic including many well educated retirees (though younger folks and families are often seen onboard). O also occasionally runs discount specials with their top producing TAs. With a harmonic convergence of perks/discounts/air credit, you may find the bottom line cost for a 10 day cruise to run about $300/day/person for an exquisite experience. Note that alcohol and excursions would be extra.

IMO, Hawaii is better experienced as a land based vacation and I urge your parents to consider breaking their "no fly" rule in that instance.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Think of cabin price as "up to 2 people"...per person makes single folks mad, as they must pay for 2 people...and they don't think that's fair! Prices vary wildly...contact a travel agent and see what the ranges for your time of year might be. Most "1st timers" will spend in incidentals/extras, about 1/2 the cost of the fare...so be forewarned!

Shore excursions are pricey, too..but with proper research, many things are easily doable ON YOUR OWN....a guidebook is the most valuable resource!

I think an Alaskan cruise would be the best "1st"...Hawaii really requires MUCH more time ashore than you get on a cruise...landbased is the better option for Hawaii.

For newbies it is best to consult a travel agent specialized with cruises.

They will be able to answer all your questions and do all the planning.

This board is great to do research and get ideas too.

Do your parents live on the west coast? Or do you need to fly across the country?

Price es can vary greatly depending on cruise line, ship, type of cabin, location on ship, time year.

So best to do some research and consult a professional for a newbie cruiser.

Alaska may not be your best choice. Alaska is all about excursions on land. Yes, great scenery on the way there and back, but depending on what land based excursions are doable for your parents, it may not be enjoyable.

Go into it with an open mind. There are tons of choices to pick from.

Princess and Carnival both offer cruises to Hawaii from west coast. They are 15 day cruises with lots of seas days, so if they have never cruised before, I am not sure if this would ideal first cruise. Princess also offers cruise to Alaska from San Francisco; this is a long cruise too. And several cruise lines offer round trip cruises from Seattle or Vancouver (which can be reached by train from Seatle).

Good luck with your searches.

HAL or Princess to Alaska would be a wonderful first cruise and they have a lot of experience in working with those who have mobility issues.

They leave out of Seattle or Vancouver BC (which is a quick train trip from Seattle).

Depending on when and what exactly you book costs can be as low as $300 to over a grand. Prices quoted are always per person and do not include tips, taxes and other fees which could be another couple hundred.

Shore excursions range from $40 per person to several hundred. Especially in Alaska where there are flight excursions that they may be interested in.

I'd suggest going to the HAL or Princess websites and doing a "mock booking" just to get an idea of cost. You can then choose to take that information to a TA or just book online yourself (which I personally find much simpler-leave out the middle man)

What a lovely gift for your parents, they are lucky to have you.

We have done both the RTs out of LA to Hawaii (our last three cruises!) and the RT out of Seattle to Alaska. If your parents don't fly, either one is good, but the reason why I wouldn't recommend the Hawaiian one as a first cruise is that it tends to have rough seas.

Princess has RTs out of San Francisco and out of Seattle for Alaska, with a stop in Victoria, BC, which is a pretty little city. You didn't state where they live, but there trains that go to both cities. In fact, out of deference to my dislike of flying, we took the train from Oxnard CA (pretty close to where that bad accident was yesterday, but that's a rarity) all the way up to Seattle. I do recommend that if they take the train to the west coast, they add in extra days as Amtrak doesn't own the tracks over here and has to frequently sidetrack for freight trains.

Holland also has some good cruises, including round trips out of Vancouver. They probably won't want to do the one-ways (southbound or northbound) as they would have to fly in or out of Anchorage. Because of the geography, the trains don't go up there (and no roads that go all the way south to Vancouver).

As for excursions, you can google each port and get some guidebooks. Don't rule out ship's excursions as they'll pick up from the pier, and sometimes not really much more than independent ones.

If they love that cruise, start planning the Hawaiian one. Princess has a fantastic Hawaiian cultural program on its cruises. Your parents will love that. And even though, it's not a whole lot (usually 8 to 4 or 8 to 5) of time, they'll have a fun time.

Thank you all for your comments. You have given me a lot of information to discuss with a travel agent. Alaska would probably be the way to go. The only difficulty will be getting them from the Midwest to Seattle. The train they would need to take is the Empire Builder which is having schedule problems right now due to the freight traffic from the oil fields in ND.

Thank you all for your comments. You have given me a lot of information to discuss with a travel agent. Alaska would probably be the way to go. The only difficulty will be getting them from the Midwest to Seattle. The train they would need to take is the Empire Builder which is having schedule problems right now due to the freight traffic from the oil fields in ND.

The schedule problems for the train would probably mean going to Seattle several days ahead to make sure they get there on time. It's always best to go at least a day ahead even if you're flying to allow for any possible delays.

I have heard the the train that crosses Canada is amazing, so maybe get them up to Toronto, take train over the Vancouver, and then cruise out of that port.

Congrats on your parents upcoming 50th! What a nice thing you and your siblings are trying to do for them.

I agree that a travel agent might be the best way to plan a trip for them. However, others have given you suggestions as well. People either love or hate cruising. Have your parents ever expressed an interest in taking a cruise? That might be your first step. If they don't seem that interested then I would look at other options. If you think they would like to try a cruise, I would suggest a very short itinerary (7 days), such as Alaska. We did Alaska 4 years ago and it was one of my favorite cruises. As others have said, they could fly from several states. If they did fly Vancouver route then they would need to get passports if they don't have them. If they don't like flying then look at your train options.

Hawaii would not be my recommendation and agree with Cruisin Chick. We did the Hawaiian cruise from San Diego on Holland America and there will be 4 sea days to Hawaii and 4 sea days back and the seas can be rough (we had them).

If a cruise doesn't seem like a viable option for them how about a land trip, i.e. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. They could take the train to the destination and join a group tour. This might be a good option as they wouldn't have to think about anything just let the tour leader handle everything. We did a Grand Canyon tour one year and it was fabulous. Visited GC, Bryce, and Zion. To see the Grand Canyon for the first time is a spectacular sight!

I think that you should sit down with your siblings, try and narrow down what you think would work for your parents (cruise, land tour, etc.) and then visit a travel agent. You need to have some ideas in mind as you will be more confused when you sit down w/ the travel agent. I would also suggest asking for recommendations for travel agencies from friends, family, etc. as it can make a difference in your planning.

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/default.htm

http://www.amtrak.com/midwest-train-routes

Trip Advisor has a forum on train trips you can check out. Just saw this posted:

Do not take The Empire Builder or the Texas Eagle if you want scenery.

Here's the link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k6540708-Amtrak_from_the_Midwest_to_the_west_coast_and_back-Train_Travel.html

Lots of people take train trips that don't like flying and I think it might be a great way to see parts of the USA and it's beautiful countryside. Something to think about....

You didn't indicate what budget you would have and that would make a difference as well. You can get some good cruise prices, just depends upon what you are looking for. Alaska can be expensive but you can get some decent 7 day cruise prices. Shore excursions thru the cruise ships tend to be expensive as well. Lots of us that cruise find our own tours or just do it ourselves. Where you parents have not cruise before it would be less intimidating to have everything all planned for them. First time cruisers usually are bewildered by it all. LOL We just love to cruise though.

Keep us posted.

May

Here is a train and cruise tour that I just found and would be nice. Similar to what RS Leesburg is suggesting.

http://www.vacationsbyrail.com/canada/canada-rail-cruise/trans-canada-by-rail-alaska-by-sea

http://www.vacationsbyrail.com/vacation-type/national-park-train-tours/great-parks-of-the-southwest-featuring-the-grand-canyon

(this tour starts in Chicago)

http://www.vacationsbyrail.com/united-states/western-us/albuquerque-balloon-fiesta-by-rail

I have heard that the Balloon Fiesta is a nice trip! Departs Chicago or SF.

Edited by cruisingmimi
additional info

Interesting situation. Do parents know of this? Do they want to specifically go on cruise? Cruise and land so different. I think your group needs to set a budget first .Go to your library, get cruise books. Call Holland and Princess to get catalogues. Both good for Seniors. Best pricing comes from discount cruise agencies, not your corner travel agency. Do a search on line.Alaska is a summer cruise. Hawaii, Spring, Fall. Just saw Princess 15N out of SanFrancisco or LA for $1600 Inside or $2200 with window.Ruby there best HA. ship.This was on a discount site. Prices go up and down, just like air. Add $15 pp per day auto tips, any alcohol and on shore excursions.Much $ can be saved by doing inside cabin which will be same size as outside or basic balcony cabin. An option is set a cruise amount, select several cruises and present options to parents;say 2 Alaska, 2 Hawaii. I did B2B alaska and Hawaii this Fall.To me Hawaii is the winner by far.

Edited by zoncom

My brother and I gave our parents a cruise for their 50th- since they usually went South for the winter, we found a cruise out of Miami. If your parents are ok driving, I would look for the closest large port and look at the cruises leaving from there and try to find something you think they'll like!

We did the very same thing for our parents' 50th. This was one week of a land tour (train, etc.) and one week coastal cruise (Holland America). This cost (about 12K total) included plane tickets which you will not need. We paid for all excursions, onboard credit to cover everything we could think of, land transfers, so on, so forth, they basically paid for absolutely nothing.

And they loved every minute of it, even though neither of them had ever cruised. Alaska was beautiful - they even rode in a dog sled and slept in a teepee one night. It is what you make of it - but after 50 years of marriage, i figure they they knew that going in, and would enjoy it no matter what.

So - all that to say - GO FOR IT!!