First family cruise: advice re: room options for loungers?

Smiles33

We have 5 and 8 year old girls and have never taken a family cruise. I went on a cruise as a teen back in the early 1990s with my parents (the big red boat from FL to the Bahamas and then a Disney World package thrown in after the cruise). I remember loving the teen club, the endless food, the movie theater and dance club, and the snorkeling. My kids are too young for most of that but I think a cruise could be a chance for DH and I to relax while they do kids activities and then we re-group for shore excursions.

Typically, we like to rent a condo and spend a lot of time relaxing there (reading books, playing board games, watching TV, surfing the net, playing in the pool) and then venture out to stroll the area seeking good restaurants and exploring the outdoors (beach, mountain, etc.). We are loungers, not go-go-go vacationers who want to see all the sights. We never go to historical sites where you have to stand in line (like an old mission), museums, etc. while on vacation. Thus, I'm tempted to spend more money on a bigger cabin (mini-suite?) and do fewer shore excursions. Plus, DH hates crowds, so I'm already nervous about taking him on a cruise ship where he can't get away from all the throngs.

We are currently looking at Princess, since they have under 5 day sailings from the West Coast. Plus, my in-laws frequently cruise and love Princess.

Advice? What's your family's experience if you, too, are typically loungers or leisurely explorers?

Edited by Smiles33

On the ship...ANY ship...you can do as much or as little as you like. You don't need to pay for a huge suite to have "lounging" space...there will be plenty of underused areas on the ship.....upper decks above the pool are underused, as will be lounge/bar space during the day, the promenade deck...library, etc.....

If you find a cruise "isn't your thing"...no worries! You don't have to do another!

As far as "excursions"...we never do them! Get a guidebook, find out what interests you, and do it on your own. Easy!

Edited by cb at sea

• 2 weeks later...

We are loungers too!

Our kids love Princess - see my signature - they've been on quite a few cruises and prefer Princess. Take a look at the balcony cabins - Caribe deck on the Grand class ships have 9 ft x 9 ft balconies that are awesome for relaxing on. Minisuites have additional cabin space inside plus big balconies.

The setup for 4 beds in a minisuite is nicer than in a balcony cabin, but more $$. We love the balconies for quiet time away from the crowds.

Princess has fresh water pools. Other cruise lines use ocean water in their pools.

Princess kids' clubs split the ages 3-7 and 8-12 so your kids will be in separate groups. There are lots of activities.

One thing we always preferred about Princess is that the buffet stays open with real food ( full buffet) until 4 ( approx), whereas in our experience, other cruiselines tend to close the buffet by 2 and all that remains is leftover hot dogs and hamburgers ... If you come back on board on Princess after 2, you can always have a late lunch at the buffet - with the kids we could always get some fruit or veggies to munch on mid afternoon at the buffet.

You can always find places to sit and relax onboard that are a bit quieter - you have to wander around and find them but they are there. Having food and drink available always is a nice thing! There are some board games available onboard to use - sometimes from the library - I'm not sure exactly what. The internet however is slow and expensive as it is satellite so that is not a good activity!

RCI on the Allure had many structured activities for children and also their pool area on board is very nice.

Might want to look at the Oasis class ships.

Good luck

Sea Ya

Also, if you are able to cruise with a family friends with kids, you and them can take turns being with the children and you and your spouse can have quality parent time, and then trade off with other family.

Quiet spa days on a cruise are awesome!!!

Sea Ya

We have 5 and 8 year old girls and have never taken a family cruise. I went on a cruise as a teen back in the early 1990s with my parents (the big red boat from FL to the Bahamas and then a Disney World package thrown in after the cruise). I remember loving the teen club, the endless food, the movie theater and dance club, and the snorkeling. My kids are too young for most of that but I think a cruise could be a chance for DH and I to relax while they do kids activities and then we re-group for shore excursions.

Typically, we like to rent a condo and spend a lot of time relaxing there (reading books, playing board games, watching TV, surfing the net, playing in the pool) and then venture out to stroll the area seeking good restaurants and exploring the outdoors (beach, mountain, etc.). We are loungers, not go-go-go vacationers who want to see all the sights. We never go to historical sites where you have to stand in line (like an old mission), museums, etc. while on vacation. Thus, I'm tempted to spend more money on a bigger cabin (mini-suite?) and do fewer shore excursions. Plus, DH hates crowds, so I'm already nervous about taking him on a cruise ship where he can't get away from all the throngs.

We are currently looking at Princess, since they have under 5 day sailings from the West Coast. Plus, my in-laws frequently cruise and love Princess.

Advice? What's your family's experience if you, too, are typically loungers or leisurely explorers?

Treat the whole family to the Santuary for the duration. No crowds, no throngs and the in-laws will love the spoiling.:)