Another opinion wanted--connection in ATL

parrotfeathers

I have a choice between a 50 minute connection and a 2 3/4 hour connection in Atlanta (coming from EWR on Sept. 20). The Newark flight leaves at 11:45 a.m. I do not know the on-time history of Newark but 50 minutes sure seems close. But 2 3/4 hours sure seems long.

Also, since Delta changed my return times due to schedule changes, it is possible I could have my outbound flight changed to 1 p.m. and get the same flight home with a 1 1/2 hour connection.

Edited by parrotfeathers

Take the longer connection. Almost always, that's my preferred advice, especially at a mega-hub. Unless you are in a "time is money" situation (aka business travel), better to be stress-free than frazzled on rushing from flight to flight.

In addition, you can get in a great meal at "One Flew South" in the E concourse. Some of the best airport food out there.

Okay--I will leave it like it is. But changing it to l p.m. was tempting. But my experience has always been (with shipping animals) that the later in the day a flight leaves, the more it is likely to leave late. You are correct about the Atlanta restaurant. I also like the Boar's Head chicken salad.

But my experience has always been (with shipping animals) that the later in the day a flight leaves, the more it is likely to leave late.

Planes fly multiple hops every day. Of course regional jets, 737s, etc. fly more segments than a 747. Each flight is a chance for a delay, and they accumulate during the day as you commented. (Same observation with afternoon doctor appointments!)

Okay--I will leave it like it is. But changing it to l p.m. was tempting. But my experience has always been (with shipping animals) that the later in the day a flight leaves, the more it is likely to leave late. You are correct about the Atlanta restaurant. I also like the Boar's Head chicken salad.

And the "A Piece Of Cake" counter :p:p

I think Newark is still repairing 4L-22R and that may effect you. It supposed to be nights weekends they close this runway which is one of the two the big planes use (airport only has 3 runways).

The shorter runway 11-29 used by RJ's when the wind permits is also scheudled to be closed for repairs in June for 15 days.

Just thought to mention that, when 4L-22R is closed they have to use one runway for both arrivals and departures instead of the normal dedicated for each.

FWIW

Atlanta's airport is one of the busiest in the world.
Actually, ATL is the busiest, both in terms of number of passengers AND number of aircraft "movements" (takeoffs/landings). Beats O'Hare for movements and Beijing for passengers.

Even with a 90 minute layover, every time I've gone through ATL, I've missed a connection (which is why I never fly Delta anymore, always due to maintenance issues, or even one time not having the proper tools to fuel an airplane). Like other said, take the longer connection, grab some food and a drink, and people watch.