Trip Report (with pics and vids) from Tuomotus, Marquesas, Society Islands Aug 2015

mistadobalina

We got back two weeks ago today (seems a lot longer than that), but I've been busy with a new job and haven't been able to complete the trip report until now. It's got hundreds of pictures, dozens of video, and a good amount of description. I hope you enjoy and/or find it useful for planning your trip to Polynesia!

http://justinandcrystal.com/Polynesia/

Lovely, a great reminder, thank you!

I was particularly interested in your narrative on Fatu Hiva, since we were there in 2008. Interesting that you were tendered into a different place--we actually went right into the "bay of virgins", Hanavave, so these "statues" are my strongest memory of this island.

Did you know that Thor Heyerdahl spend time there in his early days? He wrote a book about it, I think it was his honeymoon, certainly his first book.

We got back two weeks ago today (seems a lot longer than that), but I've been busy with a new job and haven't been able to complete the trip report until now. It's got hundreds of pictures, dozens of video, and a good amount of description. I hope you enjoy and/or find it useful for planning your trip to Polynesia!

http://justinandcrystal.com/Polynesia/

THANKS Justin &Crystal

Great journal! We are booked on the same itinerary Nov 21st and your photos, videos, commentary and tips are a great way for us to know what to expect 🐠

I bet you can tell me if there is an iPod or IPhone dock in the cabin. We want to pack light so don't want to bring the Bluetooth speakers if we won't need to.

Thx, Patty & Robin

I don't recall there being an iPod dock. One thing to bear in mind is that there isn't a lot of "desk" space anywhere - there's a tiny area (maybe 2' deep by 3' wide) near the beds, a little area on either side of the bed (maybe 4" by 10"), and then a round area near the fridge, and that's about it. I used my iPhone for music/podcasts very rarely, but when I did I just put it on the area right next to the bed and just used it's own speaker. I hope this helps.

Guess I missed that - thanks for the info!

Oh, one other thing on the issue of electronics. There were only two US plugs in our room, as well as a couple EU plugs. So if you want to charge multiple things at the same time, I would suggest either bringing a power strip or at the very least bringing EU adapters, so that you have more than 2 plugs total.

Just keep in mind that the 'converter' is really just an 'adapter'. That is, it does not convert 220 to 110v, it only adapts one receptacle to another. Almost all devices have power bricks that will work on either voltage, but it would be wise to confirm that on your devices before you leave.

I prefer to use a grounded adapter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Edited by MotuIslander

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great review and pictures. I'm heading out next month for several places you visited, though not on Paul Gauguin. By the way, all cruise ships I've been on list the arrival time as the time the ship literally arrives, with time on shore different if you're tendering.

I was happy to read that Fakarava is just a 5 minute tender to land. Hoping Bora Bora is also. Wish I dived, or at least snorkeled. That part of the world is so great for that, but I can't dive, and can barely snorkel (sigh).

Thanks for the great review and pictures. I'm heading out next month for several places you visited, though not on Paul Gauguin. By the way, all cruise ships I've been on list the arrival time as the time the ship literally arrives, with time on shore different if you're tendering.

I was happy to read that Fakarava is just a 5 minute tender to land. Hoping Bora Bora is also. Wish I dived, or at least snorkeled. That part of the world is so great for that, but I can't dive, and can barely snorkel (sigh).

If you are on a larger ship tendering will not be so painless. Also your ship may be a longer distance away.

What you have written above regarding arrival time is not true of the PG. for example regardless of the printed schedule the PG captains kindly lower the tenders the minute they get there and there are early tenders to the port different from what is stated in the daily bulletin. The early bird then catches the unscheduled tender and beats all others! Not only that last year when we asked for an additional tender in Huahine for our large excursion group well before the first officially scheduled tender thanks to security officer Rex and Capt. Toni our request met with success.

This is what is wonderful about the PG staff and management.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...