posting this here also Problems with Viking never again

Nan-L

We are a group of 5 couples going on a river cruise with Viking Oct 4th, 2014.

We booked this cruise to hold the cabins in early February of this year and were told we would get a discounted rate and ship board credits as a group. They also told us a a group reservation we wouldn't have final payment till May 2014 (and our TA checked with them, as I read on these boards they want their payment a year in advance and Viking once again confirmed the date)

It is now the end of May, we have been asking where is our group info, prices SBC's etc.. Our TA told us she called Viking, this was back in April and they said they take care of the soonest cruises 1st, so to be patient and they would get to us.

Now it's the end of May and the Manager where our TA works had to set up a meeting with Viking to find out what is going on.

We just heard today!!!

Here is the outcome:

"Dear Ladies

I have new pricing for you, with a $250 discount per cabin. Our accounting department will prepare new invoices for you reflecting this. Please allow 24 hours for receipt.

Final payment date is June 15, 2013. They have advised us on all of our bookings that all final payments must be made by the end of the month that they are booked in. All of our outstanding bookings must be paid in full by May 31, but they gave us an extension until June 15 for the five of you (how generous). I can apply for an extension to Viking on final payment dates, but they will not guarantee that the pricing will not change prior to final payment. This decision was given to us by Mike Weirsema, VP of Sales for Viking.

My boss asked me to advise you that he fought tooth & nail with them as to how can they change final payment dates after the sale has been made & all other cruise lines require final payment no sooner than 120 days prior to sailing. He also said that they are only interested in new bookings, not satisfying their existing customers. He told them that it has been ridiculous how long this has dragged on without being given any information for our customers.

Needless to say, I am no longer selling for Viking. This is a disgusting way to do business and I will not be a part of it.

Please let me know what you would like to do. "

So what would you do?? They didn't say anything about our shipboard credit and we weren't even sure the pricing is the same as when we booked!!! I've cruised many lines and NEVER has so much trouble with a booking!!!

I'll let you know what is happening when we get our new confirmation letters!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What down payment to you make in February? Sounds like you made no down payment and therefore never did have a contract. Sounds like your TA screwed up and now wants to blame Viking.

So, what was your down payment in February and what did your invoice state? This booking was under one name is that correct for all 5 cabins?

What down payment to you make in February? Sounds like you made no down payment and therefore never did have a contract. Sounds like your TA screwed up and now wants to blame Viking.

So, what was your down payment in February and what did your invoice state? This booking was under one name is that correct for all 5 cabins?

We paid $1000, so there was a contract, but not for the group. We were told they would put it in a group but to go a head and reserve the cabins as there weren't that many left.

We paid $1000, so there was a contract, but not for the group. We were told they would put it in a group but to go a head and reserve the cabins as there weren't that many left.

$250 discount per couple seems to be pretty generous. Just FYI I uploaded Viking 2014 group policy so you can see what discounts TA gets from Viking. Btw, TA will sail for free if she sails with you.

group1.jpg.151f7a91cf410188f284599acb702ee0.jpg

Edited by id est

This all seems very strange.

The published payment terms seem to vary between markets, but on the US site it mentions final payment 90 days before sailing?

I'm also surprised that your TA would take individual bookings if the aim was to negotiate a group rate.

Generally I'd expect you to have to book as a group to get a group rate, and obviously all discounts/benefits etc. should be agreed before you placed the group booking.

Still don't understand. The five couples put a $200 down payment for each of five cabins? That does not seem like Vikings down payment requirements.

Do you have a contact that says you put $1000 down on five different cabin numbers? Viking would have required a down payment of $500 per person. Sounds like you only reserved on cabin for two people.

Still sounds like your TA screwed up. Why are you blaming Viking? You never had a group reservation contract with Viking for five cabins and 10 people.

Donray,

you are miss understanding...we always had a group reservation as soon as the 5 cabins booked.

Each couple put down $1000 so total was $5000. And yes we were told we were to get $200 OBC and a $125 pp discount on the cruise for the group booking.

Which we got..$250 each cabin with 2 persons in it..but no OBC.

We all live in different places and we all were booking one at a time with the understanding we were a group and when the 5 cabins booked we would proceed with the group booking.

The TA didn't screw up, she actually called Viking to confirm the final payment date, as I had said are you SURE, as they usually ask for it right after you book..she called and they confirmed with a group booking we had till the next year in May for final payment.

id est..can you re-attach that as I can't read it too small. or where di you find it?

Thanks

Nancy

Edited by Nan-L

No each couple put down $100. And yes we were told we were to get $200 OBC and a $125 pp discount on the cruise for the group booking

Since there is a TA in the loop, did this come from them or direct from Viking?

It really doesn't look like the TA got the booking secured, I don't see how they could have done with so little cash as a deposit.

My guess is your TA just tried to make more money from Viking by joining 5 individual bookings into a group booking. Many TA's do it and it explains why all bookings and deposits were made at a different time. The group guide can be downloaded from here (the link is on a front page):

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/agents/

group1.jpg.6fd89cbf4c22d296573eac3a2f7d58cf.jpg

Sorry if the image is too small: it is limited to 15 kb.

-------------------------------------------------------

In short: 2014 GROUP POLICY

Viking River Cruises has one of the industry’s best group policies. You can earn great commissions and

Tour Conductor credits while offering your clients special discounts and extra amenities when you book group travel with Viking in Europe, Russia, Ukraine, China or Southeast Asia in 2014.

COMMISSION

• Averaging over $1,600 per Viking Longship booking, commissions are paid 29 days prior to departure.

• No NCF’S: earn commission on every aspect of

your clients’ bookings — cruise and air, port charges,

taxes, fees, travel protection plans, gift orders, shipboard credits and more.

TOUR CONDUCTOR POLICY

• One free TC (cruise only) for every 9 paid guests to Russia / Ukraine and Europe (except Portugal).

• One free TC (cruise only) for every 15 paid guests to Portugal.

• One free TC (cruise, land and intra-China air only) for every 9 paid guests to China.

• One free TC (cruise, land and domestic air within Southeast Asia) for every 15 paid guests to Southeast Asia.

Note: Complimentary TC berth given in category in which majority of berths are booked. TC not offered on hotel extend-your-stay packages.

TERMS OF PAYMENT

• Due to the limited number of staterooms on our river cruise vessels, space cannot be guaranteed unless a $500-per-person deposit is received.

• Deposit and final payment dates may vary based on air promotions. A marketing promotional plan is required for all groups.

DISCOUNTS

• All groups of 10 guests and more receive a $125 discount per person.

• Group discounts are combinable with 2-FOR-1 cruise savings, valid for all group bookings. Offer expires December 19, 2013.

• Past Guest Travel Credit is combinable with

group discounts.

• Co-op dollars and collateral available — contact your Director of Business Development for details.

Edited by id est

Each couple put down $1000 so total was $5000. And yes we were told we were to get $200 OBC and a $125 pp discount on the cruise for the group booking.

Which we got..$250 each cabin with 2 persons in it..but no OBC.

From the looks of things, you got the discount that Viking offered, but the OBC would have been coming from your TA I would have thought and that is the part you didn't get.

From the looks of things, you got the discount that Viking offered, but the OBC would have been coming from your TA I would have thought and that is the part you didn't get.

Yes. It'd be my guess too and I doubt if Viking does OBC on Europe sailings.

Nan-L,

If $200 is all your TA gives you I’d never deal with such TA anymore. For example we always get $500 off the cruise price from our TA with individual booking! For group booking I’d expect at least $1000.

Edited by id est

Bumping for OP and wondering what the "real" story might be. Hoping Viking will reach out and help the OP understand what exactly went wrong and where the TA dropped the ball. That's just my guess as to what may have happened.

Dear Nan-L,

Let us first say how much we truly value our travel agent partners and the great service that they provide their clients and our guests. Unfortunately, in this particular case, we believe your travel agent has provided you with some incorrect information. We are taking your concerns very seriously and this morning contacted the owner of your travel agency to discuss the details you’ve mentioned here.

We believe that you will be contacted by the travel agency with clarification on the details of your bookings. If you would like to discuss this matter with a member of the Viking team directly, we can arrange for a group conference call next week with you and your agent – and would be happy to have you contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We are a group of 5 couples going on a river cruise with Viking Oct 4th, 2014.

We booked this cruise to hold the cabins in early February of this year and were told we would get a discounted rate and ship board credits as a group. They also told us a a group reservation we wouldn't have final payment till May 2014 (and our TA checked with them, as I read on these boards they want their payment a year in advance and Viking once again confirmed the date)

It is now the end of May, we have been asking where is our group info, prices SBC's etc.. Our TA told us she called Viking, this was back in April and they said they take care of the soonest cruises 1st, so to be patient and they would get to us.

Now it's the end of May and the Manager where our TA works had to set up a meeting with Viking to find out what is going on.

We just heard today!!!

Here is the outcome:

"Dear Ladies

I have new pricing for you, with a $250 discount per cabin. Our accounting department will prepare new invoices for you reflecting this. Please allow 24 hours for receipt.

Final payment date is June 15, 2013. They have advised us on all of our bookings that all final payments must be made by the end of the month that they are booked in. All of our outstanding bookings must be paid in full by May 31, but they gave us an extension until June 15 for the five of you (how generous). I can apply for an extension to Viking on final payment dates, but they will not guarantee that the pricing will not change prior to final payment. This decision was given to us by Mike Weirsema, VP of Sales for Viking.

My boss asked me to advise you that he fought tooth & nail with them as to how can they change final payment dates after the sale has been made & all other cruise lines require final payment no sooner than 120 days prior to sailing. He also said that they are only interested in new bookings, not satisfying their existing customers. He told them that it has been ridiculous how long this has dragged on without being given any information for our customers.

Needless to say, I am no longer selling for Viking. This is a disgusting way to do business and I will not be a part of it.

Please let me know what you would like to do. "

So what would you do?? They didn't say anything about our shipboard credit and we weren't even sure the pricing is the same as when we booked!!! I've cruised many lines and NEVER has so much trouble with a booking!!!

I'll let you know what is happening when we get our new confirmation letters!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad to see that Viking responded to this post and is working with the OP.

We are considering a Viking Cruise and this helps me decide towards Viking cruises if the OP responds that the issue is decided to all parties satisfaction.

Have a great next cruise.

I have contacted Viking via e mail. Waiting for a reply. Really want to get to the bottom of this. We will see what Viking does or if this is just a standerd responce to keep bad posts at bay. Hoping this is not the case and we can work out everything to everyones satisfaction.

Will let you know what happens.

Edited by Nan-L

Sadly that Viking trusts travel agents more than their customers. :( If instead of a standard reply (“contact your TA”) they responded to the customers enquiries and explained everything there were no such complaints whatsoever.

Sadly that Viking trusts travel agents more than their customers. :( If instead of a standard reply (“contact your TA”) they responded to the customers enquiries and explained everything there were no such complaints whatsoever.

I think you've misread the Viking reply on here. Also, and most important, when a person books a trip through a TA, the cruise line will not deal directly with the traveler, only with the TA. The TA "owns" the booking. This is NOT a Viking rule, it is the rule throughout the travel industry. It's a main reason I don't use TAs; I want to be able to deal directly with the cruise line; if I have a problem or a question, I don't want to have to wait and rely on a middle person to contact the cruise line and then get back to me.

If, as some posters here have suggested, the problem was caused by the OP's TA and not Viking (and I am not saying it was or wasn't), then Viking is really doing an extra good thing to try to fix a problem not of its own making.

Ok as of today no responce from viking with my e mail.

TA did respond after I sent an e mail to them requesting the obc of $200 be restored to each cabin. She reluctantly gave it to us. She also said that she did not get a free cabin. Buy from the posts before it plainly says group books of 9 persons get a free one.

She also said to have an conferance call with Viking. My sister one of our group had been asking for a conferance call for weeks with no responce.

I'm happy we got the obc. Only thing not the same now is the final payment dates. But I thought that was a mistake from day one.

still waiting to hearback from Viking. Who were quick to respond on the boards.

will let you know what happens on their side

?? What do you mean, that Viking trusts TA more than their customers. Viking wrote that they felt the TA messed up and they are trying to get to the bottom of it, waiting on the OP to contact them to get a conference call going. What else should Viking do?