If you got a do over would you choose to visit Alaska another way?

Karysa

If you're considering DIY to Alaska, buy a MILEPOST by Kris Valencia. It's a must-have. You can pick up an older edition on amazon for under $10. The hwys and towns don't change; some vendors may have changed or gone out of business.

I paid $25 for a new Milepost and found it useless. It doesn't tell prices at all and as mapleleaves says, some of the vendors aren't even in business. I spent hours and hours, into days and days, trying to find hotels/B&Bs to accommodate 4 individuals. The cost of DIY was only about $300 pp cheaper than doing the HAL cruisetour I chose.

I use the computer, but not real savvy on ebay or craigslist to sell the book, so I tore out the maps I wanted and threw the rest in the recycle trash.

Go to your library and check out a Milepost BEFORE you purchase one, and see if you are happy with it.

I paid $25 for a new Milepost and found it useless.

Sorry it didn't work for you but I found it invaluable. I love the fact that I can drive down the Richardson Hwy and know where a campground will be when I'm ready to stop for the day, or at Milepost x, I can pullover for a fantastic viewpoint, or at Milepost x there's a trail to a small stream teaming with salmon, or milepost x is a popular spot to see moose. It's also where I learned about Alison Point in Valdez for watching bears at the hatchery in the evenings. It provided information about and lesser known sights and locations around Alaska which is wonderful when you're driving around for a couple of weeks. LOVE my Milepost :)

I paid $25 for a new Milepost and found it useless. It doesn't tell prices at all and as mapleleaves says, some of the vendors aren't even in business. I spent hours and hours, into days and days, trying to find hotels/B&Bs to accommodate 4 individuals. The cost of DIY was only about $300 pp cheaper than doing the HAL cruisetour I chose.

It isn't the cost - it is the experience. I would do DIY trips over cruisetour trips even if the DIY was more expensive. However as I have said before - it is just me. Others obviously feel differently.

DON

Agree w/Mapleleaves - the Milepost is invaluable if used in the proper way - for mile by mile knowledge of what you'll be seeing, little known facts about areas of interest that may be upcoming, etc.. For instance, when we used it on our DIY to Denali, I would read out loud to DH as we were driving along, and at one point, it noted that caribou were often seen at a specific mile marker. Lo and behold, when DH exclaimed "And like clockwork, there they are!" we had driven up onto a herd of caribou crossing the highway just ahead, right next to the mile marker sign. Can't beat THAT for accurate and interesting information!;) IMHO, the purpose is not to use it for finding costs of lodging, restaurants, etc., - there are visitor's guides and/or Fodors'/Frommer's or other travel books for that, but rather for mile-by-mile points of interest, locations of various campgrounds, hotels, B&B's, scenic viewpoints, etc.

Sorry it didn't work out for you agabbymama, but it seems like the cruisetour was a better option for your group anyway. To each their own.

And donald - I couldn't agree more with your assertion that it isn't about the cost, it is about the journey and the experience. Wouldn't trade my DIY trips for a cruisetour, no matter WHAT the cost savings may (or may not) be - just not our style of travel. Again, to each their own, and isn't it wonderful that there are all these options for people to see the Great Land, no matter what their comfort level or interests?

I have only gone to Alaska on HAL ships and the emphasis is strictly Alaska. To see Alaska you have to spend time in the interior. Taking the White Pass Railroad is not seeing the Yukon, even the drive up to Emerald Lake is just a piece of the Yukon.

There are many ways to see Alaska and the Yukon but it is a vast land. That's why people keep going back to see more. Each time will broaden your experience and if you want to include a cruise, that's ok.

I have only gone to Alaska on HAL ships and the emphasis is strictly Alaska. To see Alaska you have to spend time in the interior. Taking the White Pass Railroad is not seeing the Yukon, even the drive up to Emerald Lake is just a piece of the Yukon.

There are many ways to see Alaska and the Yukon but it is a vast land. That's why people keep going back to see more. Each time will broaden your experience and if you want to include a cruise, that's ok.

Of course Alaska and the Yukon are vast that is quite obvious by looking on any map of the area. Do you really feel that you have seen the interior of Alaska on a ship that is in port for 7-8 hours though? Or do you think that you would enjoy going a little further inland than any cruise stop would allow for?

Of course Alaska and the Yukon are vast that is quite obvious by looking on any map of the area. Do you really feel that you have seen the interior of Alaska on a ship that is in port for 7-8 hours though? Or do you think that you would enjoy going a little further inland than any cruise stop would allow for?

You need to go inland but you would have to spend a lot of time to "really see Alaska". We've gone to Homer, Kodiak, Turnagain Arm, Alyeska, Whittier, Seward, Denali, Kantishna, Fairbanks, Tok, Eagle, Chicken and Dawson City to Whitehorse to Skagway in the Yukon, Lake Bennett over about a 10 year period and we always add the cruise even if it's only a four day to Skagway. And there are so many places yet to see, like Katmai National Park, the oil fields of the north and Coldfoot, Icy Straight point.

You need to go a lot further inland than any cruise stop allows for.

For any of you thinking about putting your car or RV on the Alaska ferry system in the summer - planning is a must. Many routes are very full in the summer and fill up as soon as the summer schedule comes out. Cabins also fill up- planning ahead is the key to seeing Alaska this way.

If you just want to walk on- and do not need a cabin- all ferry trips will give you a great way to see different ports.

I use the computer, but not real savvy on ebay or craigslist to sell the book, so I tore out the maps I wanted and threw the rest in the recycle trash.

Go to your library and check out a Milepost BEFORE you purchase one, and see if you are happy with it.

agabbymama

Were you doing mainland Alaska or the SE? Have you already done your trip?

I have been organising a 7 day land tour for four of us, with the added restriction of requiring two separate bedrooms and have been able to average about $90 per couple per night for accommodation and have been able to reduce the cost compared to the cruise line cruise tours dramatically. I have not been to alaska yet and I now there will be unforseen costs but I have factored in everything I can think of. Food is going to be expensive but no where near as much as in the Cruise lodges.

It has taken a lot of research.

You need to go inland but you would have to spend a lot of time to "really see Alaska". We've gone to Homer, Kodiak, Turnagain Arm, Alyeska, Whittier, Seward, Denali, Kantishna, Fairbanks, Tok, Eagle, Chicken and Dawson City to Whitehorse to Skagway in the Yukon, Lake Bennett over about a 10 year period and we always add the cruise even if it's only a four day to Skagway. And there are so many places yet to see, like Katmai National Park, the oil fields of the north and Coldfoot, Icy Straight point.

You need to go a lot further inland than any cruise stop allows for.

So you have done both HAL ships and DIY tours as well then?

If we were do go to Alaska again, we would skip the land tour part and do that ourselves. We didn't enjoy being herded around and left at the hotels. If you didn't go to the Salmon bake or dinner theater you had to eat a the hotels...there were no other choices as to where to eat. I thought the $10.95 continental breakfast at the one hotel was a bit steep! We bought muffins in the gift shop and ate those for breakfast! The best part of the tour is that they took care of our luggage for us. If we might get the chance to go back to Alaska, I think we would rent a camper and go that way...and then meet the ship at the dock. The cruise I would do again, just because we would love to visit the cities again...there is so much to do in each city!

So you have done both HAL ships and DIY tours as well then?

Mostly we have done the HAL cruise tours. Several years ago they offered many more options which included excursions such as the Kenai Fjords and an overnight in Seward as part of the tour.

We did the Yukon once and then again a few years later when they had a really good price. HAL has reduced the experiences on the Yukon trips since they no longer go to Eagle, Tok, and Chicken or Lake Bennett. Always take the option that gives you two or three nights in a location. Optimist that I am I check each year to see if HAL has expanded their cruise tours but they have only reduced their offerings. HAL really needs to bring Lake Bennett back on their more inclusive Yukon offerings as it fits in perfectly for the trip from Whitehorse to Skagway.

We did rent a car in Seward a couple of years ago and really enjoyed spending time in the Seward, Whittier, Girdwood, Anchorage area before we took the Park Connection bus from Anchorage to Denali for a Kantishna and Denali visit. That bus ride gave us a chance to see the Princess Lodge outside of Talkeena as that was one of the stops. We just happened to be there on a clear day for viewing Mt. McKinley.

You can mix it up as Alaska provides many options for transportation. Some places like Girdwood (Alyeska) would be much better with a car since there is a lot to see and do from there.

It really depends on what you are comfortable with. There are plenty of options.

Just enjoy the adventure whatever it may be.

agabbymama

Were you doing mainland Alaska or the SE? Have you already done your trip?

I have been organising a 7 day land tour for four of us, with the added restriction of requiring two separate bedrooms and have been able to average about $90 per couple per night for accommodation and have been able to reduce the cost compared to the cruise line cruise tours dramatically. I have not been to alaska yet and I now there will be unforseen costs but I have factored in everything I can think of. Food is going to be expensive but no where near as much as in the Cruise lodges.

It has taken a lot of research.

It is a lot of work but you would still be doing a lot of research if you were doing a cruise tour. Most of the cruise tours will be discounted at some time before the season begins. If you have to travel at a certain time that may not be an option.

On Holland America cruise tours that i have taken there was never a hotel that was not near other eateries. Their hotels are generally centrally located.

Have a great vacation.

Mostly we have done the HAL cruise tours. Several years ago they offered many more options which included excursions such as the Kenai Fjords and an overnight in Seward as part of the tour.

We did the Yukon once and then again a few years later when they had a really good price. HAL has reduced the experiences on the Yukon trips since they no longer go to Eagle, Tok, and Chicken or Lake Bennett. Always take the option that gives you two or three nights in a location. Optimist that I am I check each year to see if HAL has expanded their cruise tours but they have only reduced their offerings. HAL really needs to bring Lake Bennett back on their more inclusive Yukon offerings as it fits in perfectly for the trip from Whitehorse to Skagway.

We did rent a car in Seward a couple of years ago and really enjoyed spending time in the Seward, Whittier, Girdwood, Anchorage area before we took the Park Connection bus from Anchorage to Denali for a Kantishna and Denali visit. That bus ride gave us a chance to see the Princess Lodge outside of Talkeena as that was one of the stops. We just happened to be there on a clear day for viewing Mt. McKinley.

You can mix it up as Alaska provides many options for transportation. Some places like Girdwood (Alyeska) would be much better with a car since there is a lot to see and do from there.

It really depends on what you are comfortable with. There are plenty of options.

Just enjoy the adventure whatever it may be.

Thanks so much for the information. I have certainly learned a lot on this thread. Some of it I wish I had learned a year ago.

Our first trip to Alaska was a DIY trip we planned with our two teenage boys. We went in June, flew into Anchorage which is where we stayed for 4-5 days, in a hotel (free on points). We had bought a new Milepost and found it very valuable in planning the trip since we were not relying on someone else to carry us around. We drove down to Seward, stopping along the way when we wanted too. We drove through the tunnel to Whittier, and also took a lunch cruise cruise out of Seward, even though it had to be cut short due to rough seas. Kenai peninsula was beautiful in what we were able to see in a day.

Then one day we drove up to Talkeetna and did a flight seeing trip around Mt. McKinley. Since we were staying in Anchorage for a few days, we were able to watch the weather, and determine which days to go which direction, based on what we were trying to see or do. Yes, we know the weather changes a lot in a few hours, yet we picked the best day to go to Talkeetna as wanted to be sure while were there, we could take the flight seeing trip. it worked out too as was able to fly around the mountain, except the fog moved in before we could make the glacier landing.

One day we drove East as I couldn't wait to see the Wrangell Mountains, planning on another flight seeing tour, although they were booked up when we got there. It was still a great drive and stopped at a glacier along the way and was able to walk out on it.

Then one day we flew to Fairbanks for an overnight trip and took a tour up to the Arctic Circle. We crossed the Yukon river and could see the pipeline along that trip. We covered a lot ground that week, and know we only seen a small fraction of what Alaska has to offer. Some day, we want to make it Barrow and put our toes in the Arctic Ocean.

The past three years, we have done three inside passage tours with Princess and they have been great. When we sailed into Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord, I wanted to know what was on the other side of all those majestic mountains, and we start talking about a visit to the interior again. We have looked at the cruise land tours and would not be interested in those since we don't want to be shuffled around in a bus from place to place. We keep thinking about renting an RV one year, and just not decided yet. Might just be the next big adventure

Our first trip to Alaska was a DIY trip we planned with our two teenage boys. We went in June, flew into Anchorage which is where we stayed for 4-5 days, in a hotel (free on points). We had bought a new Milepost and found it very valuable in planning the trip since we were not relying on someone else to carry us around. We drove down to Seward, stopping along the way when we wanted too. We drove through the tunnel to Whittier, and also took a lunch cruise cruise out of Seward, even though it had to be cut short due to rough seas. Kenai peninsula was beautiful in what we were able to see in a day.

Then one day we drove up to Talkeetna and did a flight seeing trip around Mt. McKinley. Since we were staying in Anchorage for a few days, we were able to watch the weather, and determine which days to go which direction, based on what we were trying to see or do. Yes, we know the weather changes a lot in a few hours, yet we picked the best day to go to Talkeetna as wanted to be sure while were there, we could take the flight seeing trip. it worked out too as was able to fly around the mountain, except the fog moved in before we could make the glacier landing.

One day we drove East as I couldn't wait to see the Wrangell Mountains, planning on another flight seeing tour, although they were booked up when we got there. It was still a great drive and stopped at a glacier along the way and was able to walk out on it.

Then one day we flew to Fairbanks for an overnight trip and took a tour up to the Arctic Circle. We crossed the Yukon river and could see the pipeline along that trip. We covered a lot ground that week, and know we only seen a small fraction of what Alaska has to offer. Some day, we want to make it Barrow and put our toes in the Arctic Ocean.

The past three years, we have done three inside passage tours with Princess and they have been great. When we sailed into Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord, I wanted to know what was on the other side of all those majestic mountains, and we start talking about a visit to the interior again. We have looked at the cruise land tours and would not be interested in those since we don't want to be shuffled around in a bus from place to place. We keep thinking about renting an RV one year, and just not decided yet. Might just be the next big adventure

You unlike myself and most others did Alaska by land first. So much to see. DH and I thought that Alaska was going to be a one and done when we got home from our cruise but reading about everyones land adventures has got us reconsidering this.

You unlike myself and most others did Alaska by land first. So much to see. DH and I thought that Alaska was going to be a one and done when we got home from our cruise but reading about everyones land adventures has got us reconsidering this.

Yep, that was my thinking. :) 1994 was my "only" trip. I had the same mindset, I remember spending $2000 on shore excursions, including my beloved 2 flights.

Well, it's pushing over 40 Alaska cruises now. I spent 10 weeks touring Alaska this year. I can't stop. :)

Yep, that was my thinking. :) 1994 was my "only" trip. I had the same mindset, I remember spending $2000 on shore excursions, including my beloved 2 flights.

Well, it's pushing over 40 Alaska cruises now. I spent 10 weeks touring Alaska this year. I can't stop. :)

Do you travel elsewhere? Have you considered moving to Alaska? :D

Do you travel elsewhere? Have you considered moving to Alaska? :D

Oh yes, I travel every month, will be about 1/2 the year this year. I'm headed to Barcelona tomorrow- gone for a month. :) Home 2 weeks, then to Buenos Aries, home another 2 weeks, then the Panama Canal. in January :)

Nope- I do enjoy visiting Alaska, but I'm a New Yorker through and though and can't live anywhere else.

Edited by Budget Queen

Oh yes, I travel every month, will be about 1/2 the year this year. I'm headed to Barcelona tomorrow- gone for a month. :) Home 2 weeks, then to Buenos Aries, home another 2 weeks, then the Panama Canal. in January :)

Nope- I do enjoy visiting Alaska, but I'm a New Yorker through and though and can't live anywhere else.

Sounds like a very exciting life. Enjoy:)

So you think that renting a car or RV and driving and taking ferries is more expensive than visiting Alaska via cruiseship? When you say you "don't mind getting on these big ships" does that mean that you like it or put up with it to get where you want to go? Thanks:)

I ran the numbers on driving to AK and renting a vehicle in AK and now book the CruiseTour with the most 2 plus night stays I can find and arrange my own activities on the full days I have available. Car rental companies are picky about where you take their cars, especially on gravel roads. Besides, no private vehicles after mile 17 in Denali.

We love Alaska!! Fell in love with Alaska on our first trip. We cruised aboard the Wilderness Discoverer (80 passengers) with Glacier Bay Cruise lines (no longer in business though the Discoverer still cruises Alaska). The cruise was focused on scenery and wildlife. Woke up one morning to a Brown bear swimming toward the ship. Turned around and swam back to shore after checking us out. Amazing trip!! Added a 3 day trip to Kantishna after the cruise.

We then drove a truck with camper shell up the Alcan and spent a couple of weeks camping and exploring. Drove to Coldfoot and Mc Carthy in our wanderings.

Returned the next year with a truck bed camper and two dogs in tow. Drove the Alcan and returned home via the Castller ? highway. Made the sidetrip to Hyder, Alaska. Took a month to make the trip and still could have spent more time.

Have cruised three other times - 7 day roundtrip from Seattle, 14 day round trip from Seattle and 7 day northbound from Vancouver. (On mid sized ships) Rented a car on the last trip and did a DIY trip to Denali, Seward and Talkeetna.

Have also done two trips in the winter for the Aurora - even went to mushing school which was one of those OMG bucket list moments ( Am I really doing this!!). Stayed in Bettles for the Aurora.

Hard to say which I liked best. Since I do 99% of the driving, the cruise is sometimes more relaxing but having a car or camper gives you all kinds of freedom to explore. There is so much to see and do in Alaska and I don't mind the cold (you can always put on more clothes). I think we will be going back to Alaska for as long as we can.

We are planning to return next year for a 14 day cruise.

We love Alaska!! Fell in love with Alaska on our first trip. We cruised aboard the Wilderness Discoverer (80 passengers) with Glacier Bay Cruise lines (no longer in business though the Discoverer still cruises Alaska). The cruise was focused on scenery and wildlife. Woke up one morning to a Brown bear swimming toward the ship. Turned around and swam back to shore after checking us out. Amazing trip!! Added a 3 day trip to Kantishna after the cruise.

We then drove a truck with camper shell up the Alcan and spent a couple of weeks camping and exploring. Drove to Coldfoot and Mc Carthy in our wanderings.

Returned the next year with a truck bed camper and two dogs in tow. Drove the Alcan and returned home via the Castller ? highway. Made the sidetrip to Hyder, Alaska. Took a month to make the trip and still could have spent more time.

Have cruised three other times - 7 day roundtrip from Seattle, 14 day round trip from Seattle and 7 day northbound from Vancouver. (On mid sized ships) Rented a car on the last trip and did a DIY trip to Denali, Seward and Talkeetna.

Have also done two trips in the winter for the Aurora - even went to mushing school which was one of those OMG bucket list moments ( Am I really doing this!!). Stayed in Bettles for the Aurora.

Hard to say which I liked best. Since I do 99% of the driving, the cruise is sometimes more relaxing but having a car or camper gives you all kinds of freedom to explore. There is so much to see and do in Alaska and I don't mind the cold (you can always put on more clothes). I think we will be going back to Alaska for as long as we can.

We are planning to return next year for a 14 day cruise.

Ok you win!:D This sounds exactly like what DH and I should have done on our first trip to Alaska, and then a road trip, and save the bigger more glitzy transportation for trips after that. Everyone told me that Alaska was for "older " people.;) I will encourage our girls to get out and see Alaska in their 20's instead of waiting until they "need" the comforts of home when they travel.:)

Edited by Karysa

Any time in Alaska is time well spent, and I loved our short (4 days) land tour and cruise on our first visit in 2012.

We returned for a land-based vacation in 2013, spent 2 1/ weeks touring and could easily have used another 2 weeks. We round tripped out of Anchorage, visiting Talkeetna, Healy (Denali), Fairbanks before traveling the Richardson Highway to Copper Center and Valdez (my favorite Alaskan town so far), then took the AMHS ferry to Whittier, traveled to Homer with stops at Soldotna, Kenai, Nikiski and Ninichick, and ended with another visit to Seward. For me, it was a more enjoyable trip than our cruise. We simply didn't have enough port time to really explore the southeastern region the way we wanted to.

We are going to try to remedy that in 2015, with a non-cruise visit to Juneau, Haines, Haines Jct. and Gustavus for 3 weeks. We are using a combination of air and ferry to get around, can't wait for the trip!

I think a cruise is a great option for a first visit. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't end up being your last!

The Caribbean, the Greek Islands and towns along the Adriatic Sea were wonderful places to cruise to and I would do them all over again. Would you redo an Alaskian cruise or visit this most beautiful, rugged, natural area another way?

I thought Alaska and the Yukon were stunningly beautiful but I think I would have liked seeing it from somewhere other than the fantastic Celebrity Solstice. I felt leaving a walk to a glacier and whale watching and returning to a busy, modern and rather luxurious ship took some of the Zen out to me.

you betcha