When do most of you book your tours?

chaucer642

We are going to the Eastern Mediterranean in September. We don't want to use the ship's tours. (Celebrity). When do you usually book tours? Can you do it from the ship? Should I be doing it from home? Part of the reason I'm asking is because I don't know whether to include the cost of the tours (if they're not refundable) in my traveler's insurance.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

This coming September? Hope the excursions are still available as the off season starts. Otherwise they may already be booked. Booking from the ship assumes availability, spends expensive onboard internet time.

If you have to cancel your cruise a week or some similar time in advance, excursions of all types can be canceled without penalty. Have never heard of non-refundable excursions in Europe- most aren't even paid in advance. So not sure you need insurance. Your loss would be small, relatively. The insurance is more critical for the costs of the cruise and the airfares, which can be nonrefundable in certain cases and at certain times.

We booked our private excursions many (4-6) months in advance. But that was for August/September, more peak times.

Book once you know what you want to do. If it is independent vendor the earlier the better as they aren't like the cruiseline big bus, usually a few drivers and vans for the vendor at the most, once filled up they are full.

I am on a b2b2b in October in the Eastern Med. I have three private tours booked thru the Roll Call for my cruise. I am most of the way thru planning the DIY for the rest of the ports. By the time I leave, I expect to have detail instructions for each port. How to get where were we want to go. What it will cost, etc.

we never book tours in advance. we wait for the mass exodus from the ship and take local transpo into town or pick up a driver right at the pier. 30 cruises and wonderful experiences no matter where we have been.

Archived