What time does QM2 pass under Verrrazano Bridge? Arrive at berth?

MJM88

My research skills are inadequate to find this info from previous posts. Apologies for that. May I ask if anyone knows -- on average-- what time of day the QM2 usually passes under the Verrazano Bridge when arriving in NY? And then what time the first passengers are usually disembarking? Thank you in advance.

My research skills are inadequate to find this info from previous posts. Apologies for that. May I ask if anyone knows -- on average-- what time of day the QM2 usually passes under the Verrazano Bridge when arriving in NY? And then what time the first passengers are usually disembarking? Thank you in advance.

This is from Cunard's website:

" ..Queen Mary 2 Southampton to New York crossings The Queen Mary 2 cruise ship is usually departing from Southampton at 5PM and arriving in New York at 6:30 to 7AM. For exact New York USA arrival times please visit the Cunard Line’s website. "

We've done many transatlantic crossings. The Verrazano bridge can be as early as 5am .. Usually it's dark. This goes voyage by voyage. One never knows exactly.

We did the crossing in December and I think we were told it would be about 4.30 am!! Didn't make it as it was still dark and would have been a complete waste of time. I think the Daily Programme will tell you when.

We are doing an eastbound crossing in November and although it will obviously be dark, at least it won't be some ungodly hour when we pass underneath.

September 15, 2014, it was under the bridge at 4:00AM; docked at 6:30; first off around 7:45; we left the ship around 8:30 and were at the curb waiting for our ride home at 9:20. Pix here.

Even if it is still dark, it is spectacular!

I agree. When it is dark and the fog is heavy, you may hear the traffic on the bridge some time before the lights on the bridge become visible. In the few seconds before you go under, you may see the traffic on the bridge. Then look up ...

Stephen Payne, the naval architect who designed the QM2, jokes about yelling "duck" just before going under.

Bob

The timetable just isn't something predictable to the minute, when arriving in Brooklyn. I agree with suggestions that you get up and go a little earlier than the time that was announced.

Go to the top deck (not just your balcony or the promenade deck).

It really is memorable!

One of the nice things about an eastward crossing is that departure time IS much more predictable. Experiencing the whoosh under the bridge takes a bit more effort when going westward, but it is worth seeing : )

Views of NYC at dawn also take my breath away! Lovely!

Happy Sailing!