Return a Rental car at the port of MIA of FLL?

RecoveryDude

Hi! I'm considering coming in the day before my cruise if I can save $$ on airfare that way - I have a place I can stay in Jupiter and drive to port in the AM but I would obviously need to rent a car ... is there a way to return the rental car at either the Miami port or the Fort Lauderdale port?

Thanks for the advice!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

We rented and returned a rental car at FLL through Alamo. The Alamo rep asked why we were renting only for the day (hotel had a shuttle to the port but $10/per). We explained and he said to return the car the next morning. There is a bus from the airport to the FLL port and if you show your car rental receipt (don't know if it works for other companies) the ride is free because Alamo pays for us to do it.

We have rented a car at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale and returned it to MIA airport location. Keep your car rental paperwork and catch the car rental shuttle to the port for free. But most car rental agencies charge a fee if you return a vehicle to a different location than where you rented it.

I am going on 2 cruises, and flying into FLL and leaving from the port of miami, for the 1st cruise the cost for a rental suv was 80. and change but there is two couples sharing the cost and no drop off charges. Dollar, they will shuttle us to port for free. The return is with ALamo, 65$ total. For the second cruise it is just 2 going, car rental to POM 62 total return 43 total both one way dollar. Hope this helps. There use to be no charge to drop off anywhere in florida, however I think that has changed. Fox rental was 130$ one way with a 70$ drop off charge. :D

Rent from National, Alamo or Thrifty and return to the MIA airport location and you can ride their free shuttle to POM. Rent from Avis or Budget and you can drop the car in downtown Miami near POM - if a shuttle is not offered a taxi to the port will cost about $12