Restrictions on purchasing a future cruise credit post cruise

toeloop

My sister called to purchase a future cruise credit and they wouldn't sell her one because she is already booked on a future cruise. I was under the impression that you can purchase as many as you would like to as long as you are within the posted purchase time. She spoke to two different reps from Princess and they said their are restrictions on post cruise purchases. Have any of you heard of this happening before?

I thought the only way to purchase a future cruise deposit was on a ship, either a cruise you are on or Bon Voyage Experience (BVE).

And if purchased in either of those two ways I mention you can purchase as many as you want. They are valid for 2 years

I didn't think you could purchase at other times but I'm sure people here on cruise critic will fill us in on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the only way to purchase a future cruise deposit was on a ship, either a cruise you are on or Bon Voyage Experience (BVE).

And if purchased in either of those two ways I mention you can purchase as many as you want. They are valid for 2 years

I didn't think you could purchase at other times but I'm sure people here on cruise critic will fill us in on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were my assumptions also.

I have read here that, under some circumstances, people were able to purchase FCD after their cruise for a limited time. However, the OBC benefit was greatly reduced with this type of purchase. It's obviously best to just purchase several when onboard.

We did "cleverly" manage to run out one time and booked a BVE for the sole purpose of being able to buy more. It made for a pleasant afternoon and we purchased a couple each but it was really a bummer to have to disembark only a few hours after boarding.

There are post cruise FCD's available with reduced OBC.

I think post cruise it's within 30 days, not sure what other rules there are.

If you do not purchase an FCC while on the ship, there usually is an e-mail after the cruise offering to let you purchase one with, as others have posted, reduced OBC when you use it.

Thanks for your feed back. They advertise on ship that you have 60 days to purchase and is it correct on onboard credit is different. I also know that on ship you can purchase as many as you want and that it doesn't matter of you are already booked on a future cruise. I don't know why they wouldn't sell her one based on the stated reason that she was already booked on a future cruise. It just doesn't seem to make any sense.

Thanks for your feed back. They advertise on ship that you have 60 days to purchase and is it correct on onboard credit is different. I also know that on ship you can purchase as many as you want and that it doesn't matter of you are already booked on a future cruise. I don't know why they wouldn't sell her one based on the stated reason that she was already booked on a future cruise. It just doesn't seem to make any sense.

Did she book that future cruise while on the ship? If so, she essentially did purchase an FCD and then had it applied immediately. If you do purchase one on the ship, you do not get the offer to purchase it post-cruise.

If she did not purchase it while on the ship, then I agree with you. Maybe she should call back and speak with someone else.

As stated in a previous message, we were told you could purchase up to 30 days after returning from a cruise. We were able to purchase one time so when we tried to do it another time they said we couldn't do it because it was past the 30-day mark.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you do not purchase an FCC while on the ship, there usually is an e-mail after the cruise offering to let you purchase one with, as others have posted, reduced OBC when you use it.

Well you know how that goes.......we have never received an email.

We have enough FCD's onhand and have not purchased one onboard in awhile.