Misinformation on Costa Maya

chrismch

Prior to this cruise, I could find little info on this port that helped me. Here's my port review that I hope will be of assistance to others.

When we arrived at the port, Norweigian Getaway and Carnival Splendor there. Walking off the ship, there was a tram to take us to the end of the pier. You will then see what looks like a Disney designed pavillion to mimic a Mayan temple. You can have your picture taken with a group of locals who are dressed in feathers and leather as if getting ready for a war dance. Continue on to multiple thatched huts displaying an assortment of wares to buy. Then there's a pole that you can watch as entertainers walk up it. From here, if you continue to walk straight you will end up in the parking lot where you can pick up transportation.

The guides here and at where you first arrived will tell you they can take you to beautiful sandy beaches near the closest town. Yes, the beach area is sand, but the water is full of rocks. The fee for a lounger is $10 pp - which they neglect to tell you in advance. It also includes a shot of tequila - no substitutions and rides in a kayak.

Assuming you went to the malecon, which of the dozens of bars did you end up at, or did you go north?

Reading this board over the years I have gathered information on many bars and pricing options in Costa Maya. Reading your post, good description of port area but I have no idea where you went.

Edited by c-leg5

If you took the tram and got off at the first stop, you were either herded to Tequila Beach or Corona Beach next door. Neither of these 2 places have reliable service or decent food but do have overpriced drinks. It is common for 1st time cruisers to get roped into these beach clubs. The owner of Tequila Beach has major financial interest in the port. Which is why it's the first stop and the only stop that puts you directly at the beach club. There are many beach clubs along the malecon where your "entry" for a lounger is merely buying food or drink. At all clubs, though, water activities like kayaking is extra.

The tram took us to the beach by Mahahual. The price was $3 U.S each way. I didn't have the name in front of me at my first post which was the reason for no name given.

As I mentioned earlier, this is where a number of the hawkers at the beginning of the port were promoting. Pictures can be done to make a beach look great from certain angles. There weren't crowds which was nice, but my reason was to go to the beach was to snorkel. Because of the rocks in the water and the stiff kelp beds it was too difficult to get out far enough to even want to put fins on. If you tried to walk in backwards, you would have ended up flat on your back in a few feet.

Since kayaking needs little depth to get out, we had much better luck with that. However, if we had turned to the side before walking out of the port make-believe village, we would have had much more fun at the beautiful pool that was at the port, or watching the stingrays in the lagoon or doing the dolphin encounter.

Again, Chris, sorry you got caught up in the jaladores' spiel. Happens a lot.

IMO, the beaches along the malecon are not good snorkeling beaches. Snorkeling is best via a boat to the reefs off shore. Shore snorkeling is better up at Uvero beach, about 20-30 minutes north of the cruise port and accessible only via ship sponsored excursion. But the malecon is all one long beach, nothing distinguishing one club 's beach from another. I haven't ever experienced rocks in the water, but then I've avoided Tequila Beach. Sea grass is a common complaint in the area due to the way the ocean currents move. Usually gets raked by most places, but not that far out from the beach. The area was dredged about 15 months ago and that removed the vast majority of the stuff.

The tram took us to the beach by Mahahual. The price was $3 U.S each way. I didn't have the name in front of me at my first post which was the reason for no name given.

As I mentioned earlier, this is where a number of the hawkers at the beginning of the port were promoting. Pictures can be done to make a beach look great from certain angles. There weren't crowds which was nice, but my reason was to go to the beach was to snorkel. Because of the rocks in the water and the stiff kelp beds it was too difficult to get out far enough to even want to put fins on. If you tried to walk in backwards, you would have ended up flat on your back in a few feet.

Since kayaking needs little depth to get out, we had much better luck with that. However, if we had turned to the side before walking out of the port make-believe village, we would have had much more fun at the beautiful pool that was at the port, or watching the stingrays in the lagoon or doing the dolphin encounter.

I think a little research before you left could have prevented most of your problems and I am not sure why you couldn't find answers to at least some of your questions before you left as there are limited opportunities in Costa Maya and they are discussed over and over on this board.

Costa Maya is a man-made port and excursions are limited. Basically you have trips to the ruins, the off-site cruise ship resort that Crew mentioned, a few quieter, isolated AI private resorts, the malecon (in the reconstructed town of Mahahual), or the confines of the port area.

On the malecon are many beach bars (listed on a map in Crew's signature) and all bars are discussed regularly on this board with various activities and pricing structures. Costa Maya is not renowned for snorkeling and you probably could have been prepared for that.

Staying at the port is certainly an option which can be convenient, albeit expensive, and certainly no beach or snorkeling.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your day but I am not sure I agree with your title regarding "misinformation".

We're signed up to do kayaking at Mahahual in March. Could you see much marine life once you got away from the shore and rocks?

You'll be instructed by the beach club you are at, or at the mercy of the guide on a ship excursion, as to where you can go. Unless you are snorkeling off the kayaks, don't expect to see much marine life closer to the shore along the malecon area.

We did a little homework on CM before our cruise last month. We did a ruin tour with Native choice then hung around the shopping area in the terminal. The shopping was much better from the vendors at Chacchoben ruins than at the terminal. When we return in May we have reservations at the Tropicante.

I entitled the post "misinformation" because of what I was told by people promoting the beaches at the port. I specifically asked if it was soft sand or if we would need to go back to the ship for water shoes. We were told that it was soft sand. I heard several of the promoters telling tourists how wonderful the beach was. Of course. that was only that only meant the distance from the pathway to the water.

My misunderstanding was expecting this to be more like Huatulco which was also a man-made port which had a fabulous beach and reasonably priced food.

The seagrass is abundant with some stiff tufts that were unpleasant to walk on. However, the water was a bit murky I had to walk carefully on or around it. That wasn't easy to do and at one point I stumbled off the seagrass into some rocks and cracked the end of one of my toes. As I've broken toes before, I just adapted my walking style to heel first and then the ball of my feet.

I entitled the post "misinformation" because of what I was told by people promoting the beaches at the port. I specifically asked if it was soft sand or if we would need to go back to the ship for water shoes. We were told that it was soft sand. I heard several of the promoters telling tourists how wonderful the beach was. Of course. that was only that only meant the distance from the pathway to the water.

My misunderstanding was expecting this to be more like Huatulco which was also a man-made port which had a fabulous beach and reasonably priced food.

The seagrass is abundant with some stiff tufts that were unpleasant to walk on. However, the water was a bit murky I had to walk carefully on or around it. That wasn't easy to do and at one point I stumbled off the seagrass into some rocks and cracked the end of one of my toes. As I've broken toes before, I just adapted my walking style to heel first and then the ball of my feet.

Hope your next cruise is better. :) And now that you've seen CM first hand, you'll know what to expect if back there again.

We were to Costa Maya a few years ago and at that time we were able to take a bus or cab to the malecon. Is that still possible to do, if so can you refresh my memory where that bus taxi stop area is? It seems we went between some shops that circled the pool/shopping area.

We were to Costa Maya a few years ago and at that time we were able to take a bus or cab to the malecon. Is that still possible to do, if so can you refresh my memory where that bus taxi stop area is? It seems we went between some shops that circled the pool/shopping area.

Your memory is still good. But it's now a tram versus the bus. Still stops first at Tequilla Beach. Still $3 down/$2 back (via taxi only). You still have to go outside the cruise port gate to catch a taxi.

Your memory is still good. But it's now a tram versus the bus. Still stops first at Tequilla Beach. Still $3 down/$2 back (via taxi only). You still have to go outside the cruise port gate to catch a taxi.

Do we get off at the second stop?

Do we get off at the second stop?

You tell the tram driver which beach club you wish to go to and he'll stop somewhere close to there. You'll have to walk about a block to the malecon.

Or conversely, you get off at the first stop and ignore the jaladores, lounger hawkers, and head to where you want to go. Blue Kay is to your left about 500 yards or so along the malecon. Other beach clubs are to you right.

Aww that really sucks you did not have a good experience. I can't imagine that you couldn't find what you were looking for prior to going from these boards. There's several of us that are frequent cruisers and have been there many times and post a lot on the boards that could have guided you in the direction you were looking for. It helps to be armed with info prior to going so that the hawkers there that are getting a "kickback" for taking cruisers to their places don't happen.

If you ever get to go back...check out my review on Blue Kay (in my signature line). There's tons of pictures of the soft sandy beach (which is probably the biggest on the malecon) and it's at the very first area, closest to the lighthouse, with snorkeing, kayaks, volleyball in the water, bikes to ride up and down the malecon and it's pretty secluded since it's at the very end of the malecon. No really any hawkers coming down that way. If you ever return...check it out. Only $5 to go there and that will get you chairs, umbrealla and a drink! :)