Royal not going to Isle of Pines

Rumour on Explorer in January was that Royal Caribbean won't be calling at Isle of pines for 2 seasons after this season. Looking at the 2017-18 cruises it looks like this is the case except for 2 themed cruises on Radiance. Without Isle of Pines it all looks fairly boring, about time these cruise lines found some different ports of call. Robin:)

Perhaps their ships are just way too large with limited tender facilities at these islands. It was bad enough on Radiance of the Seas but barely manageable. I think Voyager and Explorer and Ovation are just way too big for any of the Pacific Islands that require a tender and they know this too which is why their ships are dropping out of going to many islands.

I don't know the reason, I was thinking along the same lines of far too many people, maybe the island and the coral need a chance to recover a bit, still allow the smaller ships like P&O, Princess, Carnival but have a break from the ones with the huge number of passengers. Isle of Pines has a great wharf which can take two tenders at a time, tendering ran very smoothly on Explorer and Voyager when we were on them recently, so I don't think this is the problem. Royal will have completed the new wharf at Lifou by the next cruise season also. Robin:)

The really big ships just don't suit that part of our cruise region unfortunately. Even 2000 passengers is pushing the limits, especially for the Isle of Pines which also gets large catamarans doing day trips from Noumea.

I suspect there will be very limited options for decent, affordable cruises to the South Pacific in the future, probably only P&O & Carnival if Princess dumps the remaining two Sun class ships.

Agreed, but we don't have much say in what ships we get.

And the cruise lines don't seem to be doing a very intelligent job of matching the ships they send with the infrastructure in the region. Royal Caribbean, I'm talking about you.

And the cruise lines don't seem to be doing a very intelligent job of matching the ships they send with the infrastructure in the region. Royal Caribbean, I'm talking about you.

Their marketing has been "bigger is better" (to the extent of just making things up) for some time.

Their aim is to maximise revenue from the mass market which downsizing wouldn't allow; hence the regular lobbying for more capacity for larger ships.

Bigger might be better for the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. It's downright moronic for the South Pacific.

Like I said, match the ships to the infrastructure. I love cruising with Royal, but this is one thing they suck at. They have an obsession with making bigger and bigger ships, these ships just don't work Down Under.

I did 5 cruises on the Rhapsody. I loved that ship, and it was just the right size for the region. I can't see myself doing a South Pacific cruise on Voyager or Explorer because they are so limited with their itineraries that cruising with them has no appeal at all.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Bigger might be better for the Mediterranean and the Caribbean. It's downright moronic for the South Pacific.

Like I said, match the ships to the infrastructure. I love cruising with Royal, but this is one thing they suck at. They have an obsession with making bigger and bigger ships, these ships just don't work Down Under.

I did 5 cruises on the Rhapsody. I loved that ship, and it was just the right size for the region. I can't see myself doing a South Pacific cruise on Voyager or Explorer because they are so limited with their itineraries that cruising with them has no appeal at all.

I agree, tendering is not a joyful experience.

We were at Isle of Pines only a couple of weeks ago on the Voyager. The island is still looking as beautiful as ever. There were more local stalls than we have seen before. At the end of the day, the locals had heavier pockets and the passengers had a lovely day and I don't believe the island was any the worse off. We had no trouble with tenders, we just didn't try to be the first ones off.

We were at Isle of Pines only a couple of weeks ago on the Voyager. The island is still looking as beautiful as ever. There were more local stalls than we have seen before. At the end of the day, the locals had heavier pockets and the passengers had a lovely day and I don't believe the island was any the worse off. We had no trouble with tenders, we just didn't try to be the first ones off.
I think that is the best plan, wait until the queues are gone and then go, perhaps after lunch.

I think that is the best plan, wait until the queues are gone and then go, perhaps after lunch.

Given RCL only visit over our Summer, that's the peak of the day's heat and light and only leaves a few hours ashore in any case.

Plus you've still got long queues when you come back... unless you come back at 2-2:30, in which case you're only there for an hour...

Given RCL only visit over our Summer, that's the peak of the day's heat and light and only leaves a few hours ashore in any case.

Plus you've still got long queues when you come back... unless you come back at 2-2:30, in which case you're only there for an hour...

Good plan, that is all you need at some of these beaches, anymore than a few hours and you burn.

• 1 month later...

YES!! Bring back Rhapsody!!!