POA docking in Kahului cheapest way to get to Lahaina

fedexretiree

I have some friends that are traveling on the POA next month and was wondering what the cheapest way to get to Lahaina was. Looking to go for some shopping on Front Street then on to Kaanapali beach.

Anyone out there ever try Uber to do this??

I don't know about Uber but a cab will cost about $75 one-way to Lahaina. A friend who regularly drives the 2-lane road along the coast said that traffic has been bad so if stuck in traffic it'll be even more expensive.

The cheapest way is the limited Maui County bus system which goes from the Queen Ka'ahumanu shopping center about a mile from the ship. The cost is $2 per ride & takes an hour to get to Lahaina (Lahaina Islander #20). From there there's another bus (Ka'anapali Islander #25) that goes to Ka'anapali Beach however both routes only run hourly.

http://www.mauicounty.gov/605/Bus-Service-Information

With the POA in Kahului for 2 days I think renting a car is the best option. There is no longer any parking at the port but they could park overnight for $15 at the airport & use the rental company's free shuttles (about 10 minutes) between the pier & airport.

As has been recommend by Astro Flyer, a rental car is the best option. Possibly your friends can post on their roll call and see if there are others who would like to join them. If they want to use Uber they can get an estimate by putting the route into their Uber app. I only know of taking Uber from Kihei to the airport. A rental car would be the absolute best IMO. Cherie

We just returned recently from the same cruise and with the help of my CC friends we ended up renting a car through Discount Hawaii Car Rental and went through Thrifty. We only rented for the day and the cost was $41.26 for the rental + gas. If you need liability insurance, gps etc that will be an add on.It's a very easy drive to Lahaina and takes about 45 minutes from the airport.

If you go with Thrifty, sign up ahead of time before your reservation for their Blue Chip Program and then you beat the line ups as everyone from the cruise ship is getting to the Thrifty counter around the same time.

A lot cheaper and more flexible than using a cab which cost $80 one way to Lahaina and would be extra to drive around.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I forgot to mention in the original post that renting a car wouldn't be an option for them.

If a car rental is not possible, you might check the POA Excursion options which are offered for Lahaina. I believe there is one which is basically just transportation between the port and Lahaina so it is pretty inexpensive. The problem may be that it will not allow nearly as much time there as they were planning. Once in Lahaina, there is a shuttle which will take them down to the beach.

Your friends may not want drive themselves but as D&N Luv To Travel said they rented a car with another CC couple and shared the cost. Perhaps your friends can post on their roll call and find others who would like to share the cost of a car and would not mind driving. Getting to Lahaina from Kahului is a popular thing to do. Just a thought. Cherie

I agree with the other posts...there usually are passengers on the roll call who want to share the cost of a rental car in all Hawaiian ports. Although it's not always easy to get a group together who want to do the same things. With rental cars costing about $35-$50 for our cruise days in port for that price we didn't want to workaround someone's schedule. But for merely going to & from Lahaina it might be easier to find passengers for that simple drive.

Another option might be to use SpeediShuttle & if having sufficient passengers they might be able to book an exclusive van. That might be cheaper than the NCL shuttle & be another option. We use them when returning to Maui & it cost less than $35 for both of us to get to our house. We're about half the distance as to Lahaina from Kahului but they'll have to contact them to see if that's a better option or not.

http://www.speedishuttle.com

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would like to add that sharing the cost of a car to Lahaina does not mean you have to share the entire day. Possibly just a drop off and pick up in Lahaina. Getting to Kaanapali from Lahaina is easy. I think It would be worth a try on their roll call.